Initial assessment

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Initial assessment

Post by Volupturaptor »

Oh good! That makes the possibility of journey sharing much more likely then. :)
How do you deal with leave weekends? Do you always spend it at home, or do you find somewhere more local to Horsham to stay? I may be wrong, but I imagine it's more important that the family spends time together, than it actually having to be at home..?
OKS
3rd Former

Post by OKS »

When my older one was first there leave weekends started late morning on a Saturday, so very short. Then we would stay with relatives in Sussex. As soon as leave weekends changed to how they are now it meant that coming home was possible. So we have always done that. Sundays are short, but both mine have felt it was worth it to come home. Older one has left now, but younger one is very confident now with the journey. There are a few who get trains to the west country and so they often travel together and look after each other.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Well, she did it...

Anyone know when we can expect to hear how it went?
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Don't know but mine complained "the maths was too easy there was no algebra " so I hope he hasn't made silly mistakes as he will need the maths to bolster his english.

I think it is a few weeks minimum as Mr Holdsworth et al have other normal everyday teaching & marking to do as well
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

They usually tell you on the day of the assessment how long it will take to get the results but I think it was about three weeks for the first one.Could be wrong -maybe lonelymom will remember as she has been through it twice !
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Yes, I think we were told it would be about 3 weeks, but in actual fact it was a few days less. So not long to wait now :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Eek, my son made it through to the next round!!!

I'm so pleased for him, we did no tutoring/practise so it's all been down to him. I don't care if he doesn't make it through (well maybe a little) it's confirmation that he is as bright as I thought.

Now are we meant to practise anything before January?

:D :D :D :D
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well done to your son! :D

Next is a maths test, English test, sports test, interview, music, singing or art assessment if you request one, and lots of 'watching'. GOOD LUCK!! :D
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

ha ha, we did request a music audition, goodness knows why, he's learning the double bass, but there isn't much musicality to him lol
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

My daughter is through too! :D Also with no extra preparation. She'll be taking her trumpet with her. :)
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

How do they select who goes through to the residential assessment? I'm now slightly worried about the musical instrument part of it. I hope it won't matter if he's not very good, it's certainly not his strong point!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Congrats to your daughter too, Volupturaptor :D

Pinkhebe, don't worry at all, they won't be expecting him to be amazing, especially if he's only just started playing. It's more to do with enthusiasm, potential, etc. My daughter requested a singing audition, she's not an outstanding singer but she loves singing. The lady was lovely and said she sang beautifully. My other daughter did an art assessment, just took some art she'd done at school, and they just wanted her to talk about it and asked if she enjoyed doing it etc. It's better to go along and try than not to go along at all!
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Thanks Lonelymom. :)
Funnily, I was more worried about the initial assessment. I'm not too concerned about the residential. My daughter is bright, quite independent and very sociable, she gets along with absolutely everyone and I have never known her to fall out with anyone. She's not like me at all, so should be ok I think!
As for the trumpet, well she's no musical genius, but she does enjoy it and can knock out the odd recognisable tune. Not many though, as playing in a band, she plays her part of the tune, which sounds ok with the others, but not much good on it's own. Some practise at a couple of whole tunes may be in order. :lol:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

seconds the 'thanks' to lonelymum.
maybe the thought that it'll help him get into CH will spur him on to do his practise without the usual moans/procrastination! My DS is also sociable, but can be quiet until he knows people, but what will be will be. I'm looking at it as a win win situation, if he gets in great, if he doesn't we get to keep him here :) and we also don't need to remortgage the house :D

It is nice to be able to post on here, I've lurked since we first thought about CH, but I shan't be re reading the past students memories!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

My son took his sax to the initial assessment.....he is not at all musical.......he enjoyed having something extra to do along with the others that had their instruments. The music staff were lovely and I think it really encouraged him to continue it.

Tell your young ones just to go and do their best and above all enjoy it. I think CH are looking for people who want to get involved, not just for exceptionally talented musicians.