Initial assessment

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Re: Initial assessment

Post by midget »

Congratulations to those who have got this far!! I don't think I would have got to CH if there had been all these stages to get through. I just went along and took the LCC scholarship exam, which I wouls have done anyway, heard I'd passed, and the next thing was a couple of months later, when my Dad came into my room with a big grin on his face, and asked if I would like to go to boarding school. This was not long before term started, so it's probable that I was on a list of "near misses" for CH, and possibly like Neill I had the Luftwaffe to thank!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Well done to those who got through and commiserations to those who didn`t quite make it.
Good luck for the January residentials!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

nothing yet - i wonder if that is bad news or bad postman
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Hope you hear something soon Wurzel. Surely they would send all the letters at once, either way, so there must be a good chance it's just the bad postal service..?
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

yes last week we were sat at home one evening about 7.30pm and the letterbox went - it was the postman

So maybe we will get the letter by Xmas
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Well - here goes ... first post on the forum! I heard on Saturday morning that my daughter was successful in getting through to the January assessments. When we were at CH to take the Initial Assessment there was a teacher there explaining that they wait until every single letter is ready to be posted before any are sent out ... so no one hears before anyone else. So, fingers crossed your post arrives soon. I can SO sympathize with you ... this has been the most nerve wracking thing I've ever done - and probably the most grown-up!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

i second the advice to take in an art folder. My daughter loves photography but cant draw for toffee. She was despairing over having to do a drawing assessment but loved explaining about her photos, the story that she was trying to tell with them etc. It seemed to work as she got in!

best of luck to you all for the next stage.

x
wide awake on the edge of the world
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

See you in Jan - letter was on mat when my wife got home today.

(note to self - delete all posts about my miss-spent antics on here before MrH reads them and makes judgement)
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Great news! January here we come! Wishing you the best of luck - but, as my daughter's headmistress reminded me ... it's not about luck ... it's about hard work! That didn't stop my daughter taking a carrier bag of good luck charms in to the November exam though!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Welcome to the forum CupCakeMum and good luck for the January assessment....to you and all the others who are through :)
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Question for anyone that knows - I am trying to book time of work for the Jan assessment and need to know is the headmasters address on the Thu going to actually say anything an old blue (who helped look after exam attendees for 6 years in the 80's) needs to hear or is it solely to give a definitive time to get parents away from offspring and reassure parents their children will be well cared for. Depending on that is whether I book a whole or half day as i will need to get back to Reading for 1pm ish and have been getting severe pressure from above to book as little time as poss.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

I have a question too...
Having not yet received any details, I'm wondering if anyone can give me an idea of what time we will need to be at CH on the Thursday, and at what time we will need to be back there on the Friday?
Morning, lunchtime, early afternoon and late afternoon are plenty good enough answers! :)

Thanks in advance.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Paperwork only went out on Tuesday I rang to see if our paperwork had got to the school and was told "no" but as I had rung i was put on the list for the paperwork. From memory it is no earlier than 10:30 at boarding house, parents in dining hall for Heads talk at 11:30. Collection is turn up at chapel early afternoon (2:30 ?) but your paperwork will likely arrive today
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Thanks Wurzel. :)
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Details arrived in the post this afternoon.
10.30 Thursday - 2.30 Friday. :)