BOYS' SHOES

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: BOYS' SHOES

Post by englishangel »

One way Horsham and Hertford were very similar. Except our dorm floors were not polished, they were 'raw' wood.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

You had to wear slippers or you got long, vicious splinters. The dorm floors were indeed pale, unsealed boards, probably made more splintery by being scrubbed. Ouch.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I remember on our 2nd form pulling people along the dorm sat on a blanket playing chariot races and the splinters that were sometimes a consequence.

Also trying to get a run during dorm cricket where a chick change of direction could mean a painful fall.

I remember we had to have slippers but think they were rarely worn after the first couple of years
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wurzel wrote:I remember on our 2nd form pulling people along the dorm sat on a blanket playing chariot races and the splinters that were sometimes a consequence.

Also trying to get a run during dorm cricket where a chick change of direction could mean a painful fall.

I remember we had to have slippers but think they were rarely worn after the first couple of years

'quick' perchance ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I think I started writing "change" decided to write "quick change" and brain got ahead of fingers
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

I was thinking of all you OBs this breaktime. I think you'd all have a fit if you could see the children at the moment. Due to the weather and the depth of snow we have here at present they have been given permission to wear whatever footwear they have that is more suitable for the current conditions. Housey with an array of bright coloured wellies or heavy army boots sticking out the bottom is quite a look, believe me! :wink:
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

I would love to see that! Surely this is a photo just waiting to happen ...
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

i took my entrance exam in heavy snow in 1981 lucky i was in Coleridge B but fell over heavily between the side door and common room on way to a meal- i also remember other times we were allowed to wear alternative footwear but can't remember if we had wellies or not
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

We never had wellies at CH, but we did have the use of the tube.
Col A 1946-1953
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

We had wellies of course, but not for wear with FHD, only with "games clothes" and HHD.

The tube was mandatory when returning from Dining Hall in the snow. Monitors were posted to make sure no one went outside.
Th.B. 27 1955-63