London site of CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: London site of CH

Post by jhopgood »

Send it in and we will see what can be done.
May not be the Old Blue, but I think it would probably be a good candidate for the Blue.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Sallz
Button Grecian

Post by Sallz »

will do, where should I send it to?
Sally Ford
Col A 44 01-06, Thorn B 56 06-07, Grecians West 07-08
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Sallz wrote:will do, where should I send it to?
In some ways it worries me that you should have to ask, since it means that our method of asking for material for the magazine is not very good.

In all events, it can be found on this page.

http://www.chassociation.org/contacts/index.php
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

I have long since lost both user name and pin for the 'Who's Blue". How does one re-acquire such things??
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:I have long since lost both user name and pin for the 'Who's Blue". How does one re-acquire such things??
First port of call is Margaret Wadman in the CHOBA office.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sally's essay on the London end of the CH Foundation is fantastic.. hugely well researched, meticulously referenced, containing information I had never seen before. It was also very well presented. If we are to publish it, we should do so in entirety and not in an edited way - whether in the Old Blue, or The Blue. But if the latter, then I guess the School Editor needs to take it on?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Sally's essay on the London end of the CH Foundation is fantastic.. hugely well researched, meticulously referenced, containing information I had never seen before. It was also very well presented. If we are to publish it, we should do so in entirety and not in an edited way - whether in the Old Blue, or The Blue. But if the latter, then I guess the School Editor needs to take it on?
Old Blues now have input into the Blue, so if it is from/about Old Blues, it goes through the OB editor.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

My 'Blue' arrived yesterday, nearly gave the postman a hernia.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Mine too. What fantastic art these kids produce! It's going to take ages to read right through, & Neill's already commented elsewhere about being moved to tears by the CD. A very successful issue IMO.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

Foureyes wrote:Was there a Christ's Hospital in Newgate Street in 1540? The answer is a definite (well, 99.8percent) "no." I suspect that either the author, the publisher or the artist commissioned to produce a map simply found a map of that general era (presumably post-1553) and copied it without cross-checking dates and places. After all, the probability of a reader picking up an error must have seemed pretty remote - but that overlooked eagle-eyed Old Blues such as Katherine!
:shock:
I have just read the 5th Shardlake book (very good), and the map is reprinted in it, showing CH. On page 20 Shardlake passes the entrance to the old CH; he says it was being used to store the kings weapons etc. This is in June 1545.
In William Trollope's history of CH he reproduces the indenture of Henry 8th's dated 27th December 1545, transferring the old Greyfriars monastery, and St Bartholomews, to the City. The old Greyfriars church was renamed Christ Church. It had 6 priests, the senior of whom was the Hospitaller.
St Bartholomews was refounded and renamed the House of the Pore, which they (Barts) seem to have forgotten.
Nothing much seems to have happened to the rest of the site until Edward 6th's reign. He, apparently, was very keen on education.
Sansom may have taken previous criticism to heart.
Further investigations may find out more. Trollope also reproduces Letters Patent of Henry of the same date as the indenture; the Letters are in Latin and run to 17 pages I would be grateful for a translation, only having been taught Greek at CH.
Col A 1946-1953
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

David, I was given the fifth book for Christmas, and am looking forward to reading it, I noticed the map. Saddo that I am, I went online on Christmas Day and ordered books 3 & 4. I have just finished the third one.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

michael scuffil wrote:CH London was pretty vast. It occupied the quadrilateral between Newgate St (east end, opposite St Paul's), St Martins le Grand, Little Britain, and what on Google Maps is called Edward St (though I always thought it was King Edward St). Whatever it's called, it's the southern extremity of the A1, and Newgate St itself is the eastern extremity of the A40. The site is now occupied by the BT Centre. The main entrance was next to Christ Church in Newgate St, between the church and the churchyard, at the end of Christ Church Passage (facade now at the back of Big School). Christ Church was a Wren church that replaced the original Greyfriars' church, destroyed in the Fire. It acted as the school chapel until 1902. It was destroyed in the war, but the spire (one of Wren's best, go to google street view) was rebuilt, and the gutted church interior is now a garden. The parish of Christ Church was united with St Sepulchre at the other end of Newgate St, hence the present connexion. Of the original Greyfriars buildings, only what was called the "Giffs Cloister" (to be seen on many old prints and photos, it was semi-underground) survived until 1902. The rest was a hotchpotch of 17th, 18th and 19th century buildings, bits of which survive in places likely (CH Horsham) and unlikely (such as the marketplace in Beaminster, Dorset, which has the top of a tower. The town's Chamber of Trade has a simplified outline on its logo, and the structure itself can be seen, if you look hard, on the photo on the town's website.)
I have many photos of St Sepulchre and Christ Church which at some point will go on a new website I am planning to take the 600+ churches in London and the country. I'm in my 4th year of the project and it is fascinating work. For anyone interested there are masses of really lovely churches in the city of London, some of which give splendid organ recitals at lunchtime which are free and definitely worth going to.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Heres a bad photo of Christ Church from the top of St Paul's Cathedral

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... 380313.jpg
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

If anyone is interested in CH Memorabilia - there is an interesting bit in All Hallows By The Tower, London EC3 (?)- its the sister metal collecting box to the one that in my day stood in the entrance to the Chapel!! It was certainly there just over a year ago when I last visited (ooopppss I meant in the City not at Horsham!.) If you have time on a Thursday (I think!) the organist at All Hallows, Jonathan Melling, is fantastic and has a wicked sense of humour!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

I can't be absolutely sure but the sites of the Rose & Globe Theatres were previously bear bating sites and Bankside would be the right area... The Globe was rebuilt just down the road and the Rose is underneath an office block - my sister & I were part of the campaign in the late 1980s to save the Rose!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87