From the sublime to the ridiculous

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

miao

Post by sejintenej »

and whilst we are on the subject of American (in)justice just think of the poor so-'n-so to get tried by this juror

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110118/to ... 5b8e8.html

I think also that the court commissar should be brought to trial in front of Sal and a jury of her friends. Miao :snakeman: :snakeman:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: miao

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:and whilst we are on the subject of American (in)justice just think of the poor so-'n-so to get tried by this juror

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110118/to ... 5b8e8.html

I think also that the court commissar should be brought to trial in front of Sal and a jury of her friends. Miao :snakeman: :snakeman:
I expect there was quite a long PAWS whilst the jury was sworn in ! :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

The joys of lsd

Post by sejintenej »

In Waitrose this morning discussing with their fish counter executive the relative prices of pre-packed prawns and loose prawns. His big problem was that the price of pre-packed prawns was written as £1.33 per 100 grammes whilst the price of loose prawns was given in pounds per kilo. The man simply could not understand or believe that if 100g cost a certain amount then the price per kilo would be exactly 10 times that, ie £13.30. (He wanted to get a calculator!)
I guess he is around 30; if he had had to use shillings and pence he might have found it easy (not). Seems like Labour's dumbing down has succeeded.

Bring back lsd - and I'll have some coke as well (in my rum of course). Oh, and I pay under £6 per kilo in the UK for bigger ones.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: The joys of lsd

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote:In Waitrose this morning discussing with their fish counter executive the relative prices of pre-packed prawns and loose prawns. His big problem was that the price of pre-packed prawns was written as £1.33 per 100 grammes whilst the price of loose prawns was given in pounds per kilo. The man simply could not understand or believe that if 100g cost a certain amount then the price per kilo would be exactly 10 times that, ie £13.30. (He wanted to get a calculator!)
I guess he is around 30; if he had had to use shillings and pence he might have found it easy (not). Seems like Labour's dumbing down has succeeded.

Bring back lsd - and I'll have some coke as well (in my rum of course). Oh, and I pay under £6 per kilo in the UK for bigger ones.
My sister works in the wages section of Tesco's in Chesham and had an employee come to her querying the hours worked. My sister pointed out that basically all she had to do was add together 2 numbers, but was told by the employee that she didn't have her calculator on her. On my sister's comment that she should be able to do it in her head, the employee retorted "Well I can't and I'm going to Uni!", which relieved my sister as she has a problem with stupid employees,
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jhopgood wrote:
My sister works in the wages section of Tesco's in Chesham and had an employee come to her querying the hours worked. My sister pointed out that basically all she had to do was add together 2 numbers, but was told by the employee that she didn't have her calculator on her. On my sister's comment that she should be able to do it in her head, the employee retorted "Well I can't and I'm going to Uni!", which relieved my sister as she has a problem with stupid employees,
Not to be pedantic, (why break the habit of a lifetime?) but there is no Tesco in Chesham. I think she lives in Chesham as you mentioned once you went there in the snow, so she either works in Sainsbury's (or Waitrose - tho' the staff there always seem exceptional) in Chesham, or she works at Tesco in Amersham (which I can believe).
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

englishangel wrote:
jhopgood wrote:
Not to be pedantic, (why break the habit of a lifetime?) but there is no Tesco in Chesham. I think she lives in Chesham as you mentioned once you went there in the snow, so she either works in Sainsbury's (or Waitrose - tho' the staff there always seem exceptional) in Chesham, or she works at Tesco in Amersham (which I can believe).
Tesco in Amersham it is then.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Do you have Orthorexia Nervosa?

Post by sejintenej »

Be warned; it can hit YOU and I hope you are not a pupil at CH because if so you are at even greater risk.
Apparently this disorder currently hits males, generally the young and is all the fault of the media. It is a compulsive disorder, not too dissimilar to Anorexia Nervosa but it is a "need" to eat healthily. Alledgedly the National Centre for Eating Disorders hnas received 6000 calls about the condition in the past year. According to opne psychologist it affects 1 in 10 women and 1 in 20 men usually teenagers or younger adults, a different figure to that from another source.
Glenys Jones, of the Medical Research Council’s Human Nutrition Research Centre, said concerns about certain foods were fuelling the problem.
‘If there is anything negative about a food they will cut it out forever,’ she added. ‘I saw a person who cut out broccoli because she had seen an article saying she could get a disease from it.’
(today's Daily Mail) I can understand this - my grandson calls it "trees" and who wants to eat trees? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Do you have Orthorexia Nervosa?

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:Be warned; it can hit YOU and I hope you are not a pupil at CH because if so you are at even greater risk.
Apparently this disorder currently hits males, generally the young and is all the fault of the media. It is a compulsive disorder, not too dissimilar to Anorexia Nervosa but it is a "need" to eat healthily. Alledgedly the National Centre for Eating Disorders hnas received 6000 calls about the condition in the past year. According to opne psychologist it affects 1 in 10 women and 1 in 20 men usually teenagers or younger adults, a different figure to that from another source.
Glenys Jones, of the Medical Research Council’s Human Nutrition Research Centre, said concerns about certain foods were fuelling the problem.
‘If there is anything negative about a food they will cut it out forever,’ she added. ‘I saw a person who cut out broccoli because she had seen an article saying she could get a disease from it.’
(today's Daily Mail) I can understand this - my grandson calls it "trees" and who wants to eat trees? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry !!!! It generally hits males? 1 in 20. What about the 1 in 10 females?

My kids also call broccoli trees and love it.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Do you have Orthorexia Nervosa?

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
sejintenej wrote:Be warned; it can hit YOU and I hope you are not a pupil at CH because if so you are at even greater risk.
Sorry !!!! It generally hits males? 1 in 20. What about the 1 in 10 females?

My kids also call broccoli trees and love it.
One source points to the condition hitting (mostly) young males whilst elsewhere those specific figures are quoted. Hence my comment "a different figure to that from another source." There's statistics, statistice and da***d lies and perhaps this is an illustration of that saying. As I see it anyone with that condition will die pretty soon. We hear of people dying from drinking too much water, wine is good for you, it is bad for you it is goodfor you and then only certain red wines are good for you. Sugar is bad for you - but your body still converts everything you eat to sugars, eggs are full of cholesterol and give you diseases, you need salt but salt is bad for you* ........ In short everything is bad for you but still we eat the things.
(* Lo-salt is apparently partially Potassium Chloride but it is Potassium Chloride which Americans use as the third "medicine" which finally finishes off their prisoners).
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: From the sublime to the ridiculous

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

On our Friday visit to "Tescoid's" I found this notice, adjacent to the meat shelves -------

"Please purchase your selection, before consumption"

I would hate to think of the alternatives -----------
1. Post digestion.
2.As a prophylactic against TB.

A kind friend of mine pointed out to me that it was intended to stop people picking up sweets, and eating them before the Checkout.

I believe that I had alredy worked that out ------- but it is nice to be thought naive ! :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Why do Aussies speak Strine?

Excellent answer written in a newsgroup by an Aussie (ex American I think)

in Australia, there are so many bush flies around
that we run all the words together, and speak without opening our lips.
That way the bl**dy files don't have a chance to get in yer mouth while you
are speaking.. That was featured in one series of TV advertisements for
insect repellant (Aerogard) where the tag line was "javagooweeken?" - say
"did you have a good weekend" quickly.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

sejintenej wrote:Why do Aussies speak Strine?

Excellent answer written in a newsgroup by an Aussie (ex American I think)

in Australia, there are so many bush flies around
that we run all the words together, and speak without opening our lips.
That way the bl**dy files don't have a chance to get in yer mouth while you
are speaking.. That was featured in one series of TV advertisements for
insect repellant (Aerogard) where the tag line was "javagooweeken?" - say
"did you have a good weekend" quickly.
I have never heard any Aussie ask whether another had experienced a good weekend - they might ask 'javagoowun', but are never specific.

Usual greeting is 'owyergoin'. I used to think that they actually cared how I was going, so would tell them. Wrong. 'Good thanks. Owryu?' is the correct response.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

How about "Nahwrrys"

In South Africa, all the houses are named "Te Koop"
and all the dogs are called "Footsach !!!"

Others will translate.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: In South Africa, all the houses are named "Te Koop"
and all the dogs are called "Footsach !!!"
Others will translate.
No need; I didn't know the spelling but footsach and braai are frequent sayings in this household
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

And "Te Koop" is, of course, "For sale " ! :lol:

I didn't know that footsach was decently translatable ! :oops:

There my be equivalents in other languages.

The British Army had, and possibly still has, the habit of translating common English phrases into the local language -----
Tum lakri -- lakri tum ? (Urdu) -- you wood wood you ?
My favourite ----- Non venere il veccio acido con mio solare (Italian) --- don't come the old acid with me sunshine !

Any others ?