Residential assessment not completed

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Residential assessment not completed

Post by Atticus »

Sniveling wreck here too - dd got in, which I was so unprepared for!

Congratulations to all who got in, and will be thinking of those who didn't - dd met some wonderful girls at the residential.
Last edited by Atticus on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Congratulations to your DD! :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

lonelymom wrote:I didn't know CH had a sister school??? That is the first time I've ever heard anything like that at all! Have I been asleep for the last 5 years, or is this a new association?

lonelymum, the following is taken from wikepedia and might help to explain. There is more on wiki about both schools.

Christ’s Hospital was the result of the vision of King Edward VI, assisted by Nicholas Ridley, Bishop of London, and Sir Richard Dobbs, Lord Mayor of the City of London. Its genesis was the earlier dissolution of the monasteries and the resultant overflow onto the streets of the poor and destitute. Encouraged by a sermon from Ridley, exhorting mercy to the poor, the King wrote to the Lord Mayor encouraging him to action. This he did via a committee of 30 merchants. Henry VIII had already granted the use of Greyfriars to the City for the relief of the poor. Edward granted the Palace of Bridewell, his lands at the Savoy, and rents and other chattels to create three Royal Hospitals — Bridewell Hospital (now the King Edward's School, Witley, Surrey), St Thomas' Hospital and Christ's Hospital, which was for the education of poor children.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Thanks for that. I had a look at the school's site, and it does say that bursaries, discounts and scholarships are available.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Congratulations to those who got in.
Good luck with the grammar Wurzel.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I remember being told at school (perhaps on Founder's Day?) about the three establishments being founded at the same time - CH, St Thomas's for 'the elderly and infirm', and Bridewell for 'rogues and vagabonds'. I was unaware though that Bridewell had become a school, or that King Edward's School was regarded therefore as a sister school to CH. I wonder whether the pupils there are regularly reminded that their school was founded for 'rogues and vagabonds'?!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Fjgrogan wrote:I remember being told at school (perhaps on Founder's Day?) about the three establishments being founded at the same time - CH, St Thomas's for 'the elderly and infirm', and Bridewell for 'rogues and vagabonds'. I was unaware though that Bridewell had become a school, or that King Edward's School was regarded therefore as a sister school to CH. I wonder whether the pupils there are regularly reminded that their school was founded for 'rogues and vagabonds'?!
Frances - the pupils are reminded, at least when they have siblings at CH! My niece Cara (Jo's sister) went there. I never visited her there so don't know much about it.

Yes I remember being told about the three foundations, I think they all share the same crest.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Congratulations to everyone and good luck with the grammar school or King Edward's, Wurzel

(realising with a shock that it's 44 years since my parents got the same news :shock:)
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Congratulations to all the children who have got in and my commiserations to those who have not. I remember the feelings of a year ago when we received the letter and the look on my sons face when I told him that he had got in. He started with a huge grin which changed to a worried look when he realised what this all meant! I was filled with pride but also quite a lot of apprehension. However one and a half terms in - my son has definitely got used to boarding and I think that I have almost as well!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Not really on topic, but picking up on Jo's minute footnote - it has recently hit me that next year I shall qualify for the 50 years on reunion - ouch! But I left in the Lower VI which means that my real contemporaries will not get invited until the following year; does that mean that I could choose to defer until 2013?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

midget wrote:Congratulations to those who got in.
Good luck with the grammar Wurzel.
Ditto. :)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Fjgrogan wrote:Not really on topic, but picking up on Jo's minute footnote - it has recently hit me that next year I shall qualify for the 50 years on reunion - ouch! But I left in the Lower VI which means that my real contemporaries will not get invited until the following year; does that mean that I could choose to defer until 2013?
I think you are invited for 2 years in case this happens. You can always contact CHOBA and ask.

Congratulations and commiserations to all as appropriate.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Well we are hoping that even if grammar school is a "no" we may have grounds for appeal that the exam result was not indicative of his true level but rather because of the flu. We at least now have some evidence for that as he did a half year paper with the yr9 pupils at the local secondary that he has extension maths at once a week, he got the top marks in their top set and as it was a 2009 lv6-8 SATS paper carried out under exam conditions they are happy to state he is at level8a in maths and if he was their pupil (unfortunately living 5' out of catchment means not an option) they would enter him for GCSE next year while in year7.

So fingers crossed and thanks for all kind thoughts
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

any news Wurzel?
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hopefully Reading are more organised than West Sussex - the West Sussex online application system developed a fault , and results have only just gone online, but the emails have not been sent yet.

Hope it is good news Wurzel.