Corporal Punishment......

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Corporal Punishment......

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Let us face facts ------ we live in a different age, and a different Culture, from the days of our youth.
What worked for us, and the Society, in which we lived, is no longer either, acceptable or effective,

----------- Just sit in your Bathchair and put up with it !!!! :lol:

Mores the pity !!

I have my doubts about the use of the word 'effective', though !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

Now a parent can be arrested for following this maxim, children are carrying knives and have no fear of any authority, even the boys in blue

One day this will all be changed back, when people finally see that the liberal experiments of the 60s and 70's which we still abide by are wrong
and the result has only been a breakdown of law and order

(Rant, rant)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Between last Thursday and bank-holiday Monday, Dorking FC's ground was 'attacked' twice by mindless yobs, who not only broke into the board-room, but delighted in cutting the goal nets in several places.

Two more crime numbers for Surrey Police to log. Our ground is longside a public recreation park, a well know haunt for under-age drinkers and the like in the evenings.

Our ground is a secure private site.

Needles to say, youngest daughters huge Rotty is going to have a lot of evening strolls round DFC's ground with me in the near future.....

.... and woe-betide any naughty little scally-wag he catches trespassing !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

And who to know, better than yourself, that the little scallywag will scream "ASSAULT !!" and head for the nearest Brief , experienced in Compensation ! :twisted:

We continue to moan the Present Society ! :(
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Let him, (or her), scream, assuming their throat is still intact !

Personally - I couldn't give a sh1t !
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

J.R for P.M.!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Hear HEAR!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

CHAZ wrote:I think corporal punishment had pretty much died out in the late 70s-80s though I do remember once in LHA being "sent down" and being "cracked" by Spider maddren. This was a shoe and quite frankly a big joke. In PeB I don't think JED punished anyone in this fashion...but then again the Child Act wasn't far away so power moved from the staff to the pupils...
too bad in soem respects.
Bob sillett still used the slipper in early 80's (81-5) in LHB and I came form a state primary where his wife used it AFTER it was meant to have been abolished.

House drills were worst I remember doing doctors loops at 6:30 am with a meglomaniac UF cycling around holding a hockey stick to ensure you didn't dawdle. Only ever got a couple and one of those was believe it or not for "passing wind on the back asphalt" I think it was somebody Amis who gave it to me. I think a lot of those kind of things stopped with the merger, especially after the outsry over the fact the girls school drills were shorter than the boys (along with their steeplechases)
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

I certainly remember getting the plimsol from the infamous J.D Shippam back in my Lamb B days(1988 to '91),and it didn't do me any harm.I think being made to take a cold shower was worse,but hey it toughened me up.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Good old JDS... by the time I was at the school, there was none of that, just the occasional peeve!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
gsjones
3rd Former

Post by gsjones »

The good old JDS peeve,they were the stuff of legend.Did his head still go completely bright red?
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

gsjones wrote:The good old JDS peeve,they were the stuff of legend.Did his head still go completely bright red?
Remember once we were in Geography and most of us hadn't finished the prep he'd set. He stormed out (complete with red head) having called us "a bunch of f****** ****s" so we finished off the work we should have done during the lesson after a quick discussion. I also had a bag of sweets - the candy letters you could buy from the Tuck Shop - so we piled up our exercise books and wrote "Sorry" on the top. He was fine the next lesson!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Ah yes, the bright red head...

A classic JDS peeve was when on scout camp, he stopped the minibus to withdraw some money from a cash machine. When it ate his card, he peeved loudly at the machine with the wonderful words "Fornicating cash machine"...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

JDS - Super man!!! Learnt a lot from him - especially on Scout Camp when he would wander round and leave bits of matches lying round the place just to see if we noticed when we cleaned the site up before inspection. You learnt really quickly to see where he was leaving the items and then clear them up!!

Nick Plumley - NOW HE liked slippering people!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
East Gun Copse
2nd Former

Post by East Gun Copse »

My memories of school in the early 50s, were that corporal punsihment was a very real fact of life. I can only remember once being beaten by a master and that was from Carey for some minor matter of not having learnt some facts in class. One stayed behind after the class for the punishment and it was then reported to ones housemaster who took you to task on it. What was more common and more painful was the authorised beating by monitors with their girdle. More often that not this was in the dormitory, usually for talking or being out ofd bed so one had only the pyjamas for protection. There was one occasion when a particular sadistic monitor beat one boy to such a severe extent that his peer group reported it to the housemaster. This was a culturally unheard of thing to do but indicated that this monitor had really gone too far.