Fund raising

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Fund raising

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

This morning, we received a letter addressed to Mr and Mrs N.A. Evans ---- presumeably Neill and Anne.

It came from a charity, with whom we had had no previous dealings or knowledge.

To be sure of this, I examined the literature very closely, to se if there was any connection to any charity, to which we subscribe.

In VERY small print, at the bottom of the last page, was the information "Data Protection Act : We share information about you, with other societies, who have the same, or similar interests. If you do not wish this to happen, please mark the box " (about 2mm square)

I just wonder how many other organisations are sharing information about the "Soft Touches" who support them ?

I am writing to all of ours to inform them that, under the DTA, I do NOT want my details sold.

What say you ?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Fund raising

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:This morning, we received a letter addressed to Mr and Mrs N.A. Evans ---- presumeably Neill and Anne.
It came from a charity, with whom we had had no previous dealings or knowledge.
To be sure of this, I examined the literature very closely, to se if there was any connection to any charity, to which we subscribe.
In VERY small print, at the bottom of the last page, was the information "Data Protection Act : We share information about you, with other societies, who have the same, or similar interests. If you do not wish this to happen, please mark the box " (about 2mm square)
What say you ?
On your behalf (no names given) I have checked with the Information Commissioner who administers the Data Protection Act. Anyone can obtain your name and address from any legal source (perhaps the electoral register, perhaps an agent delivering parcels) and write a letter such as you received. They can write a clause about the Data Protection Act such as you saw and it can be in any size writing (even so small that you had to call someone in to read it for you) and unless you write back and pay the postage to the sender they have every right to sell your details. Because you have not already written back then they could have already sold your details to 1000 other companies and you would have to notify each and every one. The limitation to companies in the same line of business is not compulsory - they simply have to indicate what general line of business such as name and address sellers.
You could try asking them who they obtained your details from (I have tried this!) and they will probably tell you that they have many sources and they don't know where your details came from.

All in all the Data Protection Act is riddled with loopholes and we are the victims.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Thanks !

OK, it is the re-cycling bin --- on arrival !! :lol:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Thanks !

OK, it is the re-cycling bin --- on arrival !! :lol:
Or a sticky label saying Unsolicited Mail. Please return to sender
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Another option is to put their letter in an envelope - address it to "Donations Department" and DON'T put a stamp on it. When it arrives at their offices - they are likely to think there's a donation inside and PAY to receive the letter ... only to find ... NOTHING! They'll soon take you off their list! And as for cold callers on the phone ... you know the type "Hello, my name's Brian and I'm calling from Shark Loan Agency ..." "Ohh, I had a cousin once called Brian, he was tall, with dark hair .... no, that was Barnard, I think. Brian was short with blonde hair. Well, when I say blonde, I'd call it mousey brown myself but my mother always felt that was an unkind thing to say about someone's hair colouring seeing as they have absolutely no control over what colour hair they were born with. Mind you, they could get their hair dyed - but I'm not sure whether Brian was the type of man to have his hair dyed. Would a barber do it or would he have to go to a hair dressers .. and, well, what would you do with mousey brown hair? Highlights .... Hello? Hello? Oh, they've hung up. SHAME!" My children think I'm nuts - but it gives me a little bit of pleasure!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cupcakemom wrote:And as for cold callers on the phone ... you know the type "Hello, my name's Brian and I'm calling from Shark Loan Agency ..." "Ohh, I had a cousin once called Brian, he was tall, with dark hair .... no, that was Barnard, I think. Brian was short with blonde hair. Well, when I say blonde, I'd call it mousey brown myself but my mother always felt that was an unkind thing to say about someone's hair colouring seeing as they have absolutely no control over what colour hair they were born with. Mind you, they could get their hair dyed - but I'm not sure whether Brian was the type of man to have his hair dyed. Would a barber do it or would he have to go to a hair dressers .. and, well, what would you do with mousey brown hair? Highlights ....
That is one technique used in NLP to mentally control people - Derren Brown type of thing (though he denies using NLP). To much of that and they'll be in the looney bin.

Can be frightening; I went on a week-long "communications" course run by Theosophists and came home a mental wreck. (I don't know if those techniques are a Theosophist thing or simply if that was the instructors' religion).
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

If you aren't aware there are two types of Electoral Roll. One is totally open and people can buy and use the information from the Council. The other is restricted and the information can't be bought or used. If you see what I mean. If you are one the open type then you can change when the Electoral Roll form arrives. Similarly the Mail Preference Service and its cousin the Telephone Preference Service are fairly good at stopping marketing letters and phone calls - further information etc is available through their website (www.mpsonline.org.uk)
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

I'm not up for brain washing people - just stopping them calling me just when I'm trying to either feed my children or get them into bed (which I know is calculated!). "This is not a sales call ... but ..." Ahh!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

cupcakemom wrote:I'm not up for brain washing people - just stopping them calling me just when I'm trying to either feed my children or get them into bed (which I know is calculated!). "This is not a sales call ... but ..." Ahh!
Unfortunately the Telephone Preference Service has exceptions to the prohibitions. One is surveys (and the sales calls are started by saying it is a survey - the liars) and another is where you have given permission (and they refer to the premission given two years before to an associated company (who you have never heard of and can't remember giving permission to anyone).
The best answer is an old Police whistle close to the phone and the maximun possible output of breath though I did tell some joker the other day that he was a fraudster because he was using fraudster texts.

BT has a system which they can turn on for you if you get nuisance calls; under it, if you get an unwelcome call, you dial a four figure code during the call and the caller's number is then barred from calling you again.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Once I have found out what the call is about, I just say that I do no business by phone, politely say "Good Day" and hang up.
Not quite the same as when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking at the door, which they always do on a Sunday just after mass has started.
Then the tactic is to say that they obviously have a short memory, as the answer is the same as last week, bid them good day and close the door.
I really can't be bothered to waste too much time on either of them.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

sejintenej wrote:BT has a system which they can turn on for you if you get nuisance calls; under it, if you get an unwelcome call, you dial a four figure code during the call and the caller's number is then barred from calling you again.
Do you know if that service is free now? I used it approximately 7 years ago when I was receiving lots of silent phone calls, but it was only free for a month and then was chargeable. There also used to be a system where you can block 'witheld' numbers, which some of these cold callers do, but it will obviousy also block friends and family who have their number witheld automatically.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Hi lonelymom - your family and friends can still ring you if you block 'withheld' numbers - they just need to dial '1471' (I think from memory or it may be 1470) before your number and that takes the block off for that call only. Various organisations (Police, NHS, HMRC etc) do it all the time if they need to ring you.As to charges there is one and I don't think its all that bad. If you are a BT customer check their website
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Chris Blewett wrote:Hi lonelymom - your family and friends can still ring you if you block 'withheld' numbers - they just need to dial '1471' (I think from memory or it may be 1470) before your number and that takes the block off for that call only. Various organisations (Police, NHS, HMRC etc) do it all the time if they need to ring you.As to charges there is one and I don't think its all that bad. If you are a BT customer check their website
I was going to say that (but it made an extremely long post). I think it was 141 to unblock, the same as it is to block, but my Nan could never get the hang of it :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I actually got a 'personal' call the other day, from a 'gentleman' of obvious ethnic/asian birth.

"Good Afternoon, John, and how are you today ?"

ME "I'm a damn sight cooler than you are, from where you're calling me from !!!!"

CLICK !! -- (Silence !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

lonelymom wrote:
Chris Blewett wrote:Hi lonelymom - your family and friends can still ring you if you block 'withheld' numbers - they just need to dial '1471' (I think from memory or it may be 1470) before your number and that takes the block off for that call only. Various organisations (Police, NHS, HMRC etc) do it all the time if they need to ring you.As to charges there is one and I don't think its all that bad. If you are a BT customer check their website
I was going to say that (but it made an extremely long post). I think it was 141 to unblock, the same as it is to block, but my Nan could never get the hang of it :lol:
Leave it to me to post the long ones then!!!!
:rolleyes: :D :) :D :)
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73