The Census

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: The Census

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote:I think I'm going to do our 'on-line', when I get round to it.

Well, I got round to it this afternoon, and it took me less than five minutes on line.

Think of the ink I saved. Shame, I then had to tear the original form up and throw in the re-cycle bin. ANOTHER TREE ALMOST LOST !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

In an idle moment, I read through the available languages for translation ----

Hebrew is not mentioned -- but Yiddish is.

I had always thought, that Yiddish was a Central European dialect of Hebrew, mixed with German (Cf. Dutch and Afrikaans)
I do not imagine that Yiddish is the national language of Israel ---- perhaps some OB of Jewish origin, will enlighten me ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:In an idle moment, I read through the available languages for translation ----

I had always thought, that Yiddish was a Central European dialect of Hebrew, mixed with German (Cf. Dutch and Afrikaans)
I do not imagine that Yiddish is the national language of Israel ---- perhaps some OB of Jewish origin, will enlighten me ?

I am reliably informed, that if there IS another census in 10 years, Jibberish will be added to the list !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:In an idle moment, I read through the available languages for translation ----

Not being Jewish but having worked for an Israeli outfit I had thought that Yiddish was solely a spoken language but that Hebrew is written and spoken; perhaps I'm wrong. I was a bit miffed that no translation into Carioca, Minero nor Gascon is available.
(and if anyone looks up the dictionary they are certainly not Portuguese nor Catalan as those are understood in the UK)
Trongon Charsley
3rd Former

Post by Trongon Charsley »

Forty years ago the census was run by an Old Blue:

http://trongon.blogspot.com/2011/03/rec ... umour.html
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I had always thought, that Yiddish was a Central European dialect of Hebrew, mixed with German (Cf. Dutch and Afrikaans)
Hebrew is indeed the national language of Israel, but it had to be revived and reinvented for the purpose. Before the state of Israel existed, Hebrew was for liturgical purposes and religious study. Jews used the language of whatever country they lived in. In central Europe and Russia, Jews also used Yiddish (which is more German than Hebrew). Other Jewish communities had languages like Ladino (mediaeval Spanish, to all appearances) or Judaeo-Arabic. Yiddish is apparently considered very inferior in modern Israel, and is at risk of extinction. Perhaps that's why ...
sejintenej wrote:Not being Jewish but having worked for an Israeli outfit I had thought that Yiddish was solely a spoken language but that Hebrew is written and spoken; perhaps I'm wrong.
when there is in fact a long history of written Yiddish literature. London and New York used to have active Yiddish theatre and Yiddish newspapers.

Anyway, I can't see any reason why a Yiddish translation would be needed for this year's census. There might have been lots of households that would have needed it for the 1891 or 1901 census, but surely not now. The census in Scotland isn't offering a Yiddish option.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

It still poses the question ---- Why was it preferred, by some idiot -- to Hebrew ???
Or why not both ?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well I'm confused how some of you managed to do your form before last night/today? I thought we were supposed to wait in case we had any unexpected visitors etc? I've just done mine, it was easy to do online, and I don't have to remember to post it :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Speaking for myself - I live a boring ordered life so I KNEW weeks ago who was going to be in my house yesterday!!
Besides......Mrs B got her hands on it and did it (apart from a couple of questions for me that she wasn't sure about....and we've only been married 10 years!!).
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well since both of my girls are at CH, I knew it would just be myself and my husband here last night really, but I didn't think it was good to tempt fate and make assumptions. I'm surprised it was possible to submit the forms online before last night though - it means it might be be completely accurate now.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

We have a problem as my son lives in our house when he is in the UK, but at the moment he is on contract in Ireland. He pops back about every 4 - 6 weeks, but is uncertain when he will back on a more permanent basis. Probably as from August.
We also use it when we visit, but that is less frequent, mainly CHOBA related activities.
Since they say they will do spot checks on empty houses, they might find him at home, and then the questions will start.
What a pain.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

lonelymom wrote:Well since both of my girls are at CH, I knew it would just be myself and my husband here last night really, but I didn't think it was good to tempt fate and make assumptions. I'm surprised it was possible to submit the forms online before last night though - it means it might be be completely accurate now.
I'm with you.

As I posted above one of my daughters announced she was coming home for the weekend quite belatedly. One of her sisters also considered making an appearance but as it happened she was unwell earlier in the week so didn't come in the end. Had I been keen and filled and sent the form in early it could easily have been materially wrong!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Is it a Capital Offence, to get it wrong ?

I imagine that more money would be spent, in prosecuting "The Mistaken" -- than would be worthwhile ! :roll:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Is it a Capital Offence, to get it wrong ?
depends on where you live and whether you use big or small letters :oops: :oops: :oops:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

sejintenej wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Is it a Capital Offence, to get it wrong ?
depends on where you live and whether you use big or small letters :oops: :oops: :oops:
:lol: