The Census

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

marty
Grecian

Re: The Census

Post by marty »

englishangel wrote: Not everyone

b) has a car with a number plate
?????!!! Surely even the queen has to comply with the laws of the road and put a number plate on her car? Or at least she has her butler do it...
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:

?????!!! Surely even the queen has to comply with the laws of the road and put a number plate on her car? Or at least she has her butler do it...

Her No 1 Official car does NOT have number plates ! It is the only vehicle in the UK that does not have to have them.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

marty wrote: I think I must have been living in a bubble for the past few months because I was totally unaware a) that a census was being carried out; and b) that it was mandatory to complete it. Mrs Elmore says there have been adverts on telly and plastered on billboards but I haven't seen a single one. Anyway, this huge white and lilac envelope arrived in the post a week or so ago. I decided it was ridiculous and threw it in the bin as I do with 90% of the unwanted junk that comes through our letterbox. ]
I'm with you to a certain extent, Marty. I did know that completion of census forms is compulsory but I saw nothing about them on TV because TV is so sod**ng miserable that I don't watch it. Billboards are for Honda and other money grabbers - nothing about the census that I have seen. Nowt in the newspapers either - the on-line versions don't carry adverts so far as I am aware (and certainly not the Aude vbersion of La Depeche.). The only thing I have seen (apart from the forms) was this thread.

As for when I got it the instruction leaflet was a load of nonsensical characters - why can't they write in the form of proper English advocated by the Plain English brigade?.

All in all these Americans have made a pretty awful job so far and should repay at least the entire advertising spend. The jury is our regarding the rest of their fees and ........
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

marty wrote:

There was a Morecambe and Wise film (The Intelligence Men?) where they are working as traffic wardens and Eric goes after the Queen's car because it has no license plate.

I think I read she doesn't have to tax it either but I actually meant not everyone has a car.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"