Weddings...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Weddings...

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Glad to know that Blondie is itching to get her Wedding Dress on ----
Dare I mention this ?------- In the days of Clothes Rationing (And presumeably now, in Recession !) Wedding Dresses were often designed to be converted to a white Evening Dress.
This was quite an Art Form, and there were cunning devices, adding colour bits etc, to form the disguise !
How do I know --- I told you, I was once married to a Model -- (Railway Engine ?-- she certainly steamed !) :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wedding dresses made from parachute silk.

No - I don't re-call. I remember my Mum telling me.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

ACTUALLY JR -- the parachutes attached to Mortar Flares, were white and converted , perfectly, to Knickers. DOWN BOY !
My parachutes were a rather nasty dull green, and were of a size, 14 feet across, developed, which would have made a Wedding dress to frighten any man at 40 Paces ! :oops:
Back to the Knickers --- naturally, One had to inspect the finished article ! ! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:ACTUALLY JR -- the parachutes attached to Mortar Flares, were white and converted , perfectly, to Knickers. DOWN BOY !
My parachutes were a rather nasty dull green, and were of a size, 14 feet across, developed, which would have made a Wedding dress to frighten any man at 40 Paces ! :oops:
Back to the Knickers --- naturally, One had to inspect the finished article ! ! :lol:
Very closely, one would imagine ! :cry:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I fear that JR and NTN may now be under Hertford and new OBs incoming Fire !
Possibly Mortar Flares ?. -------- I DO love being a chauvanistic Pig ! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hmmmm !!! :twisted:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Reading this, I could not but think of Munch's piece on here and how much better she did it. They both used the word "The One".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ress-.html
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Reading this, I could not but think of Munch's piece on here and how much better she did it. They both used the word "The One".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ress-.html
I read this article.

However, I don't particularly like Bel Mooney's scribbles !
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
I pray for lots more interesting events in your life, so that you can write about them. Mundane will probably suffice..
And the glorious addition to my past writings is... a baby is expected in October!

Susannah has got her hands on a mother-to-be book which compares "the size of your growing baby" to a piece of fruit. We have held our breath past the raspberry stage, panted through the prune, palpitated past the peach. And now the baby is the size of a Jaffa orange and the first scan was today, showing a dear little person sitting up looking happily at the scanner - well! I can't say how wonderful it is.

And I have learned to knit, as advised. It seems that a new mother gains maximum kudos from having a Knitting Granny wielding a copy of a Designer Baby Knitting Book.

Here goes!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Ajarn Philip wrote:
I pray for lots more interesting events in your life, so that you can write about them. Mundane will probably suffice..
And the glorious addition to my past writings is... a baby is expected in October!

Susannah has got her hands on a mother-to-be book which compares "the size of your growing baby" to a piece of fruit. We have held our breath past the raspberry stage, panted through the prune, palpitated past the peach. And now the baby is the size of a Jaffa orange and the first scan was today, showing a dear little person sitting up looking happily at the scanner - well! I can't say how wonderful it is.

And I have learned to knit, as advised. It seems that a new mother gains maximum kudos from having a Knitting Granny wielding a copy of a Designer Baby Knitting Book.

Here goes!

Congratulations to all concerned!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

One of the benefits of Facebook. FOA can see said scan and it is truly amazing - and that from a midwife who has seen hundreds.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

I find the whole gestation/birth thing utterly fascinating - it seems that every pregnancy is the same but very different (if that makes sense!) and that a whole human being starts off as 2 small 'cells' and grows to this totally complex human being. Mind blowing.
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote:One of the benefits of Facebook. FOA can see said scan and it is truly amazing - and that from a midwife who has seen hundreds.
Thank you Andy! And Chris! I keep looking at the scan of the baby, Mary, and just marvel... Susannah has had a thing for kiwi fruit - that baby must be full of vitamin C!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote: And I have learned to knit, as advised. It seems that a new mother gains maximum kudos from having a Knitting Granny wielding a copy of a Designer Baby Knitting Book. Here goes!
My wife started knitting before Chloe was born; she has yet to finish the scarf let alone anything else. Chloe is nearly 17 !!!! :shock:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: Wedding Dresses were often designed to be converted to a white Evening Dress.
This was quite an Art Form, and there were cunning devices, adding colour bits etc, to form the disguise !
A lady I know frequently had to accompany her husband - a senior director of a major international company - on business trips where in a day she might have to meet ministers, hand out sports trophies and attend barbeques (or even the local embassy). Despite trips of many weeks worldwide she claimed to have a system whereby she took just three skirts, three blouses (the silk ones you don't iron) and umpteen scarves. That way she had enough to be properly dressed wherever she went you her suitcase was very light; mathematicians might check but I think she had 30 different dress combinations.