Weddings...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Weddings...

Post by englishangel »

sejintenej wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote: And I have learned to knit, as advised. It seems that a new mother gains maximum kudos from having a Knitting Granny wielding a copy of a Designer Baby Knitting Book. Here goes!
My wife started knitting before Chloe was born; she has yet to finish the scarf let alone anything else. Chloe is nearly 17 !!!! :shock:
My Mum had her appendix out when 16 weeks pregnant with me (explains a lot!) in the days when you were in hospital for 2 weeks. She started knitting bootees on the 3rd day and one of the nurses took home the two rows she had knitted by Day 13 and returned the complete pair the next morning.

Also - when clearing the house when my Dad moved after Mum's death I found the lilac fabric she bought when I was five to make the counterpane for my lilac bedroom!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote: My Mum had her appendix out when 16 weeks pregnant with me (explains a lot!) in the days when you were in hospital for 2 weeks. She started knitting bootees on the 3rd day and one of the nurses took home the two rows she had knitted by Day 13 and returned the complete pair the next morning.
What is it about pregnancy? My daughter had to have a tennis ball sized cyct removed from beside an ovary when she was 5 months gone with Chloe.

As for the knitting, when I was working in Norway I the traditional sweaters were made to order by hand; 48 hours!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I see we seem to have strayed into "Births"-------- which enables me to announce that TBA and I, are awaiting an imminent arrival of another Girl (Darcey) to the Family --- Father is my 22 year old Grandson ---and pains have started (Also in the Mother, Lauren !)
The real news, which was delayed, deliberately, until my Birthday, was that Zoe, my very favouriye Grand-daughter (First for 150 years !!) telephoned from Switzerland to say that she is AT LAST pregnant ! :D :D :D
She is 38, and has been trying for years, without success, in the Swiss system, so, in desperation, she went into Austria for treatment --- and LO !!

This is the lady, of whom I have spoken, Athlete, Architect, Quadrolingual, and Gorgeous Blonde, who had everything, except what she really needed --- a child, and now at last, it is due in August ---- I have been instructed to survive, at least until then, to celebrate !! :wine:
MY VERY VERY best Present !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Congratulations Neill !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Well done to Zoe! (Not sure why Neill should be congratulated but no doubt he will be a doting granddad and Zoe will not get the baby away from TBA). Hope that after all the problems that everything now goes well.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Latest news --- Zoe's Nephew Loan (Son of sister Lila) pleaded with his Aunt --- "PLEASE auntie Zoe -- make it a BOY --- I'm tired of being surrounded by GIRLS"
(All this in French, which is the lingua franca, of the Swiss Evans' )

He is 7 -- I suspect that in ten year's time, he will think differently

Over the Weekend -- Darcie Ava Evans was born by Caesarian Section to my Grandson Kerry, and his partner Lauren. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is to be a Wedding (In the wrong sequence for my views -- but this is a different world nowadays !)

I am being bankrupted by Breeding ! :shock:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Latest news --- Zoe's Nephew Loan (Son of sister Lila) pleaded with his Aunt --- "PLEASE auntie Zoe -- make it a BOY --- I'm tired of being surrounded by GIRLS"
(All this in French, which is the lingua franca, of the Swiss Evans' )

He is 7 -- I suspect that in ten year's time, he will think differently

Over the Weekend -- Darcie Ava Evans was born by Caesarian Section to my Grandson Kerry, and his partner Lauren. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There is to be a Wedding (In the wrong sequence for my views -- but this is a different world nowadays !)

I am being bankrupted by Breeding ! :shock:
Congratulations on becoming a Great Grandfather Neill! :wine:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

SSSSH ! --- for the fourth time ! --- see what I mean about bankruptcy ? :oops: :shock: :lol:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Going back to Mary's posting (and miles away from the intent of this thread, sorry...!) I am still the proud possessor of two X ray plates taken in mid February 1948. My mum had a serious attack of hiccups and Horsham Hospital decided, in their wisdom, to X ray her to make sure that her unborn foetus was undamaged. Blimey, they wouldn't do that these days! I wasn't damaged (well, don't think I was!) and I was born safely in a home birth, a week or so later. A random visit back to the hospital ten years afterwards, for an X ray for something else, led my mum to ask about those X rays before I was born only to discover that they were about to be rubbished. Amazingly, the hospital allowed her to take them away. She thought they would be helpful to me later, in terms of sex education. Erm......?!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

They were still taking X-rays to see if the baby's head would fit through the mother's pelvis up to about 1979. After that Ultrasound took over.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I suppose this is the Topic on which to comment on today's Royal Event -----

TBA and I were glued to the TV programme, with Breakfast on our knees.
I thought is was very well organised, and the Sermon by the Bish of London was brilliant.

You will gather that I am a Monarchist -- but a very well educated and articulate friend of mine is a Republican, and was quite vehement about the "Waste of Public Money --- Kow -Towing to the Privileged --- they are Ordinary People, who Dont Earn their Living " etc.etc. ad nauseum.

I refrained from dunking him in my pond -- one has to think of the fish --- but I wondered how much of this feeling abounds today ?

I am, of course, stuck with my oath to the Queen's Father,and "His Heirs and Successors" -- some of which, I confess, stretch my allegience a bit !

The sight of an orderly movement of some thousands of people down the Mall, in good humour, and ridiculous outfits gladdened my heart --- only in the UK could this happen !! :lol: :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I wasn't really looking forward to a day of Royalty.........

BUT...........

I have to say, I did enjoy it. Lets hope the New Duke and Duchess of Cambridge can drag the Royal Family into the 21st. Century.

By the way - Hasn't Kate got a beautiful smile ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:They were still taking X-rays to see if the baby's head would fit through the mother's pelvis up to about 1979. After that Ultrasound took over.
I was often x-rayed to see if new shoes fitted properly!
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I suppose this is the Topic on which to comment on today's Royal Event -----

TBA and I were glued to the TV programme, with Breakfast on our knees.
I thought is was very well organised, and the Sermon by the Bish of London was brilliant.

You will gather that I am a Monarchist -- but a very well educated and articulate friend of mine is a Republican, and was quite vehement about the "Waste of Public Money --- Kow -Towing to the Privileged --- they are Ordinary People, who Dont Earn their Living " etc.etc. ad nauseum.

I refrained from dunking him in my pond -- one has to think of the fish --- but I wondered how much of this feeling abounds today ?

I am, of course, stuck with my oath to the Queen's Father,and "His Heirs and Successors" -- some of which, I confess, stretch my allegience a bit !

The sight of an orderly movement of some thousands of people down the Mall, in good humour, and ridiculous outfits gladdened my heart --- only in the UK could this happen !! :lol: :lol:
Sadly Neill I think the anti-royal sentiment is quite widespread, especially amongst the young - on of my colleagues (in her 20's) has been posting a lot of anti-royal stuff on her Facebook (they dont have to put 10% of the cost of a house down, spent £20m on a wedding then stuff it to the rest of us etc etc) and a lot of her friends are all agreeing.

Does anyone know todays value of the property that the Royal Family gave to the country in order to receive the Civil List per chance?

oh sorry......I am unashamedly for them! Rumour has it that the money that has come into the country from the Wedding is going to be more than the olympics will bring in (not too sure about that one!)
:drinkers:
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

We have not had to build any new buildings, stadia etc for the wedding, so that has kept the cost down!
Col A 1946-1953