November Assessment

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

November Assessment

Post by lippizaner »

Hello, the assessment in November is just maths and english - is that right? Is the english an essay, comprehension or what please? Would like to know. If an essay, is there a choice, how many subjects to choose from etc and how long to complete it in?
Is the maths a bit like the examples they give on the website? How long is each test? Do you just wait around while they do it at CH? Is there somewhere to get a coffee? Is it morning, afternoon, weekend, weekday? Where in CH do they take it? Is it intimidating (ie Big School) or less formal (classroom)?
I think those are all my questions.
Any advice gratefully received.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: November Assessment

Post by pinkhebe »

Hi, both tests are about 45mins long with a break between. ds said there was a story to write and maths questions. If you look at the thread titled 'initial assesments' there is a bit more detail there.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

pinkhebe wrote:Hi, both tests are about 45mins long with a break between. ds said there was a story to write and maths questions. If you look at the thread titled 'initial assesments' there is a bit more detail there.

Hi Helen.

I have editied your post so that the word THREAD appears, and not THREAT, which had a completely different meaning. I assume that is what you intended to type ! :P

John.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

maybe a freudian slip
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hi Pinkhebe,
thanks for the suggestion. I did go and look at that thread, but on the whole it seemed like a lot of chit chat between people that know one another with a few bits of info thrown in.
Anyone else with any advice out there?
Lippizaner
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Do you just wait around while they do it at CH? Is there somewhere to get a coffee? Is it morning, afternoon, weekend, weekday? Where in CH do they take it? Is it intimidating (ie Big School) or less formal (classroom)?
Hi Lippizaner

It's a few years since my boys sat the initial assessments, but I don't think much has changed. If your child is taking the tests at CH they'll be done on a Saturday morning (or possibly afternoon - two sittings may be required if applicant numbers are high) in Big School. In my experience (and I really hope that this has changed!?) no provision was made for the anxious parents. I recall that when DS no.1 took the tests I travelled up with a friend and we had hoped to have coffee or even a swim in the sports centre, but we were told that it was closed to the public on Saturday morning so we had to drive into Horsham and find a coffee bar there.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hi Ailurophile,
thanks, that was the sort of thing I was looking to find out. Hopefully there'll be coffee somewhere. Maybe we'll take a flask. Are your boys there now then? When did they introduce the November testing? I don't think they used to have it, did they? Is it quite a new thing then? Because applications are up, I should imagine.
If it is definitely on a Saturday that narrows down the possibilities for me, as I have to come from France for the test. They did offer that we could do it under the invigilation of the British Council but that would be in Paris and about as hard to get to as Horsham, so we'll be coming to Horsham for it I think.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

we had enough time to nip into horsham have a coffee and a quick look around Hawkins bazzar with little one.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

last year there were 2 sittings we had pm and the sports centre cafe was open as was the tuck shop for after.

Held in big school which is either intimidating or awe inspiring depending on your child. What was strange was seeing a gaggle of girls all in their prep school uniform as we had just been joking about hogwarts and they reminded us of Beaubatons girls from the Goblet of fire.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wurzel wrote:last year there were 2 sittings we had pm and the sports centre cafe was open as was the tuck shop for after.

Held in big school which is either intimidating or awe inspiring depending on your child. What was strange was seeing a gaggle of girls all in their prep school uniform as we had just been joking about hogwarts and they reminded us of Beaubatons girls from the Goblet of fire.

I have to admit that even at my age, I find that scene when they first appear, entering the great hall at Hogwarts, extremely h-rny !! Don't ask me why, coz I don't know.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

NOW --- who's invoking Freud JR !! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:NOW --- who's invoking Freud JR !! :lol:

Freud is dead -- I'm alive, (I think !).

Please, allow me some small pleasures in life Neill !!
Suzy
2nd Former

Post by Suzy »

My DS and I were a little intimidated by the huge numbers of children, that turned up for the November assessment in London. He thought he didn't do very well in the 1st exam, he's now a very happy third former at CH.
kittykat
3rd Former

Post by kittykat »

Do you get a choice between London or CH for the tests? Or do CH determine which venue you get?

Is the London venue Fulham Prep?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I don't know if you get a choice but I believe the London venue is Fulham Prep...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99