Weddings...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: Weddings...

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Given the zillions of people touristing in London and watching TV today across the world, plus the fees which must have been paid by the foreign broadcasting corporations, I guess there must have been quite a considerable income into the national coffers due to this national spectacle. On top of the filthy lucre considerations, however, it seems to me that there has also been a huge surge of good will and national pride. I am too young to remember the end of WW2 but I have seen newsreels and the scenes recently - including the impromptu walkabout in The Mall last night and the Aston Martin drive from BuckHouse to Clarence House this evening - have not only been reminiscent of those WW2 days but have introduced a personal, informal touch, which I found to be quite charming. This was clearly not only a great national celebration but a thoughtful celebration of the marriage of two young people.
For my money, this is the couple who will take the monarchy and all that it means to be 'British' further into the 21st century. And I never thought of myself as an out an out royalist but I did enjoy the day today and feel a lot of hope for the future, as the Bishop of London said in his sermon. Is he an Old Blue - or have I got that wrong?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Even my vehemently republican husband had to admit that the whole thing was quite well managed. I was most impressedby the way that the crowd, finally allowed in front of Buck House, walked very calmly behind the police with no pushing and shoving.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Given the zillions of people touristing in London and watching TV today across the world, plus the fees which must have been paid by the foreign broadcasting corporations, I guess there must have been quite a considerable income into the national coffers due to this national spectacle. On top of the filthy lucre considerations, however, it seems to me that there has also been a huge surge of good will and national pride. I am too young to remember the end of WW2 but I have seen newsreels and the scenes recently - including the impromptu walkabout in The Mall last night and the Aston Martin drive from BuckHouse to Clarence House this evening - have not only been reminiscent of those WW2 days but have introduced a personal, informal touch, which I found to be quite charming. This was clearly not only a great national celebration but a thoughtful celebration of the marriage of two young people.
For my money, this is the couple who will take the monarchy and all that it means to be 'British' further into the 21st century. And I never thought of myself as an out an out royalist but I did enjoy the day today and feel a lot of hope for the future, as the Bishop of London said in his sermon.
Totally agreed, but then I am biased. As for the pageant I always thought that CH Horsham Beating Retreat was exceptional and far better than most ceremonies; this (and one or two US forces demonstrations) are CH's equal.
kerrensimmonds wrote:Is he an Old Blue - or have I got that wrong?
Hertford Grammer School and Trinity
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I thought there was some CH connection with Bp Chartres of London, but I never imagined that it was via Hertford!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I confess to switching on the TV when I got home from work, and watching to the bitter end. Was amazed by several aspects - some good, some bad. The behaviour of the crowd was amazing - if only the queue for the 8.15 287 would behave with such spatial awareness and respect for others. Guess it helped that few, if any, of the crowd had headphones inserted.

However, surely Prince Harry should be given some lessons in posture and deportment, and couldn't they have found a uniform that fitted him properly?

Does anyone know whether the horses of the Household Cavalry are desensitised to crowds, in the way that police horses are? I'm guessing not from the antsy way they behaved. Also, any news on the dumped rider? The Australian Broadcasters had their back to the action, so no mention was made of the riderless horse.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nor on the BBC as it happens, Caroline.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Caroline - No the Household Cavalry horses are not desensitised to noise etc on the same way as the police ones....hence why you see them jumping round the place quite regularly. When I worked in central London (a lifetime ago) it was amasing to see the horses being ridden, quite fast with a trooper riding one and leading another! down Sloane Street and watching them 'skid' round the corner (with flying sparks from horseshoes!) into Sloane Square! You do have to remember that their primary role is not ceremonial/public (like the police) but military (not preaching!), they also train the riders and horses over a much shorter time span! If the troopers who become unseated are subject to the same type discipline as the Guards who faint on parade - then he/she will be in the glass house for 7 days!

However....it was a great day and minor spills make it memorable - the BBC have reported that the rider is alright and just has wounded pride!
Having watched a bit of the wedding again - Harry's uniform fits him perfectly - thats how they like them - something about making them look bigger and more imposing when mounted. Mind you they do always look a bit strange without a horse!

:D
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:However, surely Prince Harry should be given some lessons in posture and deportment, and couldn't they have found a uniform that fitted him properly?
I rather like Prince Harry :wink: and enjoyed the way he added a brotherly informal touch to the ceremony!

The thing I really liked was the avenue of trees in the Abbey. Imagine - if thousands more brides ask for trees as their wedding flowers, there will be tens of thousands of new trees planted everywhere for the next year!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:
icomefromalanddownunder wrote:However, surely Prince Harry should be given some lessons in posture and deportment, and couldn't they have found a uniform that fitted him properly?
I rather like Prince Harry :wink: and enjoyed the way he added a brotherly informal touch to the ceremony!

The thing I really liked was the avenue of trees in the Abbey. Imagine - if thousands more brides ask for trees as their wedding flowers, there will be tens of thousands of new trees planted everywhere for the next year!
I think Prince Harry's "problem" is the type of hair that he has and can do "nothing with". His uniform must be loose to accomodate fighting with a sabre on horseback (OK that is historical as is everything about the cavalry / hussars). As for the maple trees - an incredible touch and I see Kate's sister's involvement - lets have more of such ideas in the future IF they can overcome the Buck House cronies
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:

I am with you Angela. The trees were apparently grown in Royal nuseries and are being planted out at Highgrove. In fact I think all the plants were actually growing, not cut, save bouquets and buttonholes. And I loved the Lily of the valley buttonholes. so pretty and delicate, much nicer than carnations and fern. My husband, bil and fil had three white rosebuds at our wedding (being proud Yorkshiremen) and my father and grandfather had rosebuds which matched their ties.

All the flowers for mine were grown by my Dad.

And what a good reading James Middleton did, considering he is neither actor nor priest.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
I am with you Angela. The trees were apparently grown in Royal nuseries and are being planted out at Highgrove. In fact I think all the plants were actually growing, not cut, save bouquets and buttonholes. All the flowers for mine were grown by my Dad.
As a suggestion to future bride's parents, when my daughter got married we arranged for the local council to arrange, deliver and later collect all the plant arrangements, some up to seven feet high, for the reception. They quoted a more than reasonable charge payable on supply of an invoice after the event - and didn't send one! Ask at your local council.
englishangel wrote: And what a good reading James Middleton did, considering he is neither actor nor priest.
Yes, and I noticed he was looking straight ahead instead of at the lectern. Either he had learned the entire thing or there was an out-of-view autocue. In order to get the timing right these things are practiced ad infinitum so he could have learned it - I wouldn't be surprised if there were a stop watch in his sight!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I too was impressed by James Middleton, particularly as he almost certainly has no experience of public speaking. It looked to me like good old fashioned learning by heart. Recitation competition anyone?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Chris Blewett wrote: You do have to remember that their primary role is not ceremonial/public (like the police) but military (not preaching!),
:D
Surely, now that the powers that be prefer nukes to bows and arrows, the horses' only role is ceremonial?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Two "Military" points ---- Fainting on parade is charged as "Falling out without permission" and the purpose of Cavalry in modern warfare ---- is to add "Tone" to what would, otherwise be a vulgar brawl !
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »