Old Blues on You Tube...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blues on You Tube...

Post by michael scuffil »

Trongon Charsley wrote:Excellent idea, Matt. Good luck with it.

Meanwhile there are several dozen YouTube videos of Old Blues to be enjoyed at my blog: http://trongon.blogspot.com.

Trongon: is there any way of downloading Mgr Bruce Harbert's piece?

Re Olive Stevens (Ask Me Another): her sons were at CH at the same time as me (and enjoyed a certain vicarious fame as a result of her TV appearances), but I never realized she was an OB herself.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Trongon Charsley
3rd Former

Vincent Turner & Bruce Harbert

Post by Trongon Charsley »

Great Plum wrote:Some of you have probably heard of Frankmusik (Vincent Turner - I'm guessing his years were 97-05)
According to the CHOBA office, he did indeed arrive in 1997, but he left in 2004. Apparently he was in Maine A & Grecians East.
michael scuffil wrote:Trongon: is there any way of downloading Mgr Bruce Harbert's piece?
Yes - if you go to

http://www.gloria.tv/?media=72414

and rest your cursor on his face, a "Download this video" box should pop up at the top right-hand corner of the image.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

michael scuffil wrote:Re Olive Stevens (Ask Me Another): her sons were at CH at the same time as me (and enjoyed a certain vicarious fame as a result of her TV appearances), but I never realized she was an OB herself.
We were often told that she was the only famous female OB so that was why we did not have names for our houses!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not an OB, and not my taste in stories, but this young man could not read when he left primary school!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmXo2azWk5I
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Katharine wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:Re Olive Stevens (Ask Me Another): her sons were at CH at the same time as me (and enjoyed a certain vicarious fame as a result of her TV appearances), but I never realized she was an OB herself.
We were often told that she was the only famous female OB so that was why we did not have names for our houses!
Not all CH Houses are named after famous Old Blues -----

Barnes, for one, is named after an early Benefactor, whose portrait used to hang at the East end of the Dining Hall --- he has now been "Relegated" to the Counting House !

I am amazed at the number of present Blues, whom I have met, who believe it is connected to Barnes Wallis ! :oops:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Re: Vincent Turner & Bruce Harbert

Post by Great Plum »

Trongon Charsley wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Some of you have probably heard of Frankmusik (Vincent Turner - I'm guessing his years were 97-05)
According to the CHOBA office, he did indeed arrive in 1997, but he left in 2004. Apparently he was in Maine A & Grecians East.
That would make sense otherwise he would have been there 8 years! He was certainly in Maine B first as I was in Maine A 97-99 and it was still a senior house then!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Who is the Barnes block named after?

Post by Rex »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Not all CH Houses are named after famous Old Blues -----

Barnes, for one, is named after an early Benefactor, whose portrait used to hang at the East end of the Dining Hall --- he has now been "Relegated" to the Counting House !
Never heard that one before, Neill. I've always understood it was named after the industrious Cambridge scholar Joshua Barnes (CH 1656-71), though many people - including Wikipedia - wrongly think it takes its name from Thomas Barnes (CH 1796-1804), the great editor of The Times.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Just to settle this discussion concerning House names, E.H. Pearce, writing in his 1908 "Annals of Christ's Hospital" states (p343) that houses were named as follows:
Peele, George (1558-1597)
Thornton, Sir Edward (1766-1852) [Diplomat]
Middleton, Rt Rev Thomas Fanshaw (1769-1822) [Bishop of Calcutta]
Coleridge, Samuel Taylor (1772-1834)
Lamb, Charles (1755-1834)
Barnes, Joshua (1654-1712) [Regius Professor of Greek]
Maine, Sir Henry James Sumner (1822-1888) [Master of Trinity Hall]

As always with Housie there was disagreement about some of the names and many considered other Old Blues to be more worthy. There seems to have been considerable discussion over Peele, whose connection with the school was considered to be very flimsy, although his Wikipedia entry is quite clear on the subject. Anyway, that was the list that was decided upon.
:shock:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Tonight's you tube offering comes from Jeremy Dawson (87-94?) who has an unusual hobby - extreme cello playing!

This is taken from their impromptu gig at the top of Ben Nevis (having hauled the cellos up there!) Jeremy is the one in the middle I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1B9G-bzong

For more info, go to: www.extremecello.com
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Who is the Barnes block named after?

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

Rex wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Barnes, for one, is named after an early Benefactor, whose portrait used to hang at the East end of the Dining Hall --- he has now been "Relegated" to the Counting House !
Never heard that one before, Neill. I've always understood it was named after the industrious Cambridge scholar Joshua Barnes (CH 1656-71), though many people - including Wikipedia - wrongly think it takes its name from Thomas Barnes (CH 1796-1804), the great editor of The Times.

Isn't it named after Barns Green, then?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I only remember that the, said portrait was inscribed "Benefactor"
Easy enough to check ---- perhaps Barnes Mum might go into the counting house and find out ?

I am far enough away from her, not to receive a "Clip in the ear" !! :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I only remember that the, said portrait was inscribed "Benefactor"
Easy enough to check ---- perhaps Barnes Mum might go into the counting house and find out ?

I am far enough away from her, not to receive a "Clip in the ear" !! :lol:

Maybe you should get your ear pierced, then you wouldn't need a clip !!

:shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Who is the Barnes block named after?

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:Isn't it named after Barns Green, then?

I thought Barns Green was named after Barnes Wallis.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Great Plum wrote:My next one is a biggie - Christ's Hospital and Gene Simmons - the lead singer and womaniser from the rock band Kiss came and 'taught' at CH a group of LE (I think) for a series on Channel 4 called Rock School. Our very own Eruesto (Josh Bell) was the lead singer of the band called 'The Class'. The episode below is the final one in the series, filmed 6 months after they opened for Motorhead (yes really!) at the Hammersmith Apollo. 3 minutes in is quite chucklesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95N1OuWwNY&list=SL
Matt...I just don't know what to say.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Eruresto wrote:
Great Plum wrote:My next one is a biggie - Christ's Hospital and Gene Simmons - the lead singer and womaniser from the rock band Kiss came and 'taught' at CH a group of LE (I think) for a series on Channel 4 called Rock School. Our very own Eruesto (Josh Bell) was the lead singer of the band called 'The Class'. The episode below is the final one in the series, filmed 6 months after they opened for Motorhead (yes really!) at the Hammersmith Apollo. 3 minutes in is quite chucklesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95N1OuWwNY&list=SL

Matt...I just don't know what to say.

That makes a change, Josh !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.