The Pedant's Revolt

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: The Pedant's Revolt

Post by englishangel »

Never mind the war, I am talking 1962, and we had a Racasan(?) chemical toilet which Dad had to empty into the cess pit every morning.

We also had an acre of garden with trees to climb and bushes to hide in and and an old swing, fresh fruit and veg all year round, home made jam, marmalade and pickles and a gazillion and one other things that made life idyllic.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:
jhopgood wrote:I seem to remember that my parent's first washing machine had a mangle on top, so that after the wash, it went through the mangle and back in for the rinse.
No spin, I presume.

Was your Dads name Worzel, perchance ??

:lol:
PC Worzel to you, young man.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I don't know about the spelling ---- but the introduction has a split infinitive ------"To publicly challenge "

Nobody seems to care about English as she was Tort ---- the BBC, who used to be the arbiters, are as bad, or worse !! :oops:
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Fjgrogan wrote:Not at all, Neill. At Hertford for many generations there was outside the swimming pool a mangle which was used to wring out swimming costumes.
englishangel wrote:The mangle was still there in 1972. We await Maria's comment with interest.
Sorry for the long wait! YES, the mangle was still there in 1985!
Alan P5age wrote:Hmmm seems the right place to post this little gem:
http://www.someecards.com/2011/04/06/th ... n-facebook
It has certainly made my day.
This is hysterical! THANK YOU!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Can anyone explain why we need a Society for the PROTECTION of cruelty to animals? I have heard that at least twice on Radio4, about the pod of pilot whales in Scotland.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Today I saw written on a restaurant blackboard "Today's Special Chargrilled Tuna steak served with Thai style noodles and a sweet CHILLY sauce" I wonder whether the sauce is served hot or cold?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I want to know why, at the level crossing over which I need to go to get to work, has a sign at the OTHER SIDE which says something like 'large lorries : stop here to phone before crossing'.
On a lighter note I often pass a lorry belonging to an architectural doors and windows etc company, where the strap line is 'We Excel In Windows'.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

midget wrote:Can anyone explain why we need a Society for the PROTECTION of cruelty to animals? I have heard that at least twice on Radio4, about the pod of pilot whales in Scotland.
That's a very careless mistake, R4... :roll:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I want to know why, at the level crossing over which I need to go to get to work, has a sign at the OTHER SIDE which says something like 'large lorries : stop here to phone before crossing'.
It is not just your level crossing, Kerren. The regulations about signage at level crossings are complex - don't we know it in Porthmadog where we now have the Welsh Highland Railway coming into town. The railway line crosses the pavement - so there are TWO signs showing a steam engine on either side of the line, and that is already between the 'wig-wags'* for the main crossing.

*Wig-wag is apparently the name for the flashing lights and sirens for a crossing. Just to add interest there is a side road into the station, and opposite it a road to houses as well as the main road, all four directions have to have wig-wags and all the signs in both languages of our community. I did see a photo-shopped photo with the sign saying Beware Road Sighs Ahead!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: I did see a photo-shopped photo with the sign saying Beware Road Sighs Ahead!
Road sign near Hemel Hempstead:
Beware; the following potholes may contain bits of road

This was shortly after the snows last autumn
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

[quote="midget"]Can anyone explain why we need a Society for the PROTECTION of cruelty to animals? I have heard that at least twice on Radio4, about the pod of pilot whales in Scotland.[/quote

Also noted ! but as I said, I have given up on BBC's ignorant English ! :( ]

Going back to Mangles -- used for wringing out bathing costumes ---

The costumes were mostly unused in the school Baths, but I believe that, later, a RED bather indicated that you were a "Competent" swimmer and,of course, a BLUE bather indicated membership of the School Swimming Team ------- Is this still the case ? and if so -- what about the Girls ?

I don't think anyone bothered to "Wring out" the cossies !