Parental Contribution

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Parental Contribution

Post by Dr Mummy »

Have people received their confirmed parental contribution figures as yet? Are they largely as you expected from your calculations on the ready reckoner prior to it being removed? Thanks :-)
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Re: Parental Contribution

Post by pinkhebe »

I haven't yet, but am sticking my head in the sand as regards to how to pay it (if it's as much as the ready reckoner)
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Nope, haven't got mine yet. But I'm not in a hurry to get it, I'm still paying this year's fees :?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

I haven't received mine yet either and am hoping the ready reckoner was fairly accurate!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Confirmation of next year's contribution usually arrives in June or July. Presumably any new parents will have received an estimate of their fees when they were offered a place, so that should be fairly up-to-date and reliable.

The unknown quantity is what might happen to the fees next year (2012-13). The statement on the school's website that "We are currently revising the methods by which we assess eligibility for bursaries" suggests that the goalposts are going to be moved again... I'm already feeling anxious!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Thanks for the info Jo. Unfortunately no estimate was sent to me but I just knew CH was the right choice so will have to manage whatever the cost.

I was also wondering about the revision and if this will affect the RR estimate we were given previously..... :rolleyes:
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

No, I wasn't sent an estimate either which seems rather odd! I wonder why some people seem to have had them and not others??
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

No, I wasn't sent an estimate either which seems rather odd! I wonder why some people seem to have had them and not others??
Oh dear, I hope I'm not misleading new parents!! When my boys were offered places at CH the Counting House sent an estimate of our fees (on the basis of which we had to decide whether we could afford to accept!); but that was some years ago and before the Ready Reckoner was available online. Maybe the RR is what current new parents are intended to use.
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

The problem is, the ready reckoner wasn't on line at the vital time this year!!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Dr Mom - yes it was a bit of a gamble accepting without knowing the financial implications but I do believe that whatever the cost it is more than worth it to give our kids the best start in life. Guess we just have to cut our cloth a little bit shorter! :)
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Dr Mummy, Fairy

Have I missed something here, or does this mean that families are now expected to accept places at CH without any firm indication of what you will be asked to pay? With respect, this seems like complete madness!!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

In fairness we did apply fairly late due to a rather drastic and unexpected turn of events, maybe those who applied earlier got an estimate....I know it is a gamble but also know CH is right for both of us and will give dd every opportunity for a great start in life so the decision was made in my mind and I always knew I would have to make sacrifices for dd to go to CH. I went on the RR and got an estimate there but am a little worried that the criteria is changing so don't know how much the estimate will change.
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

The ready reckoner has been off line since April. This means that since having all the up to date documentation required it has not been possible to obtain an accurate figure - not an ideal situation!! I applied at the normal time didn't get an estimate in writing...
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

I agree it is not ideal! You say until now, does that mean you have heard about your contribution today?
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

I was sent an estimate, I was told to ask for it though. Some time later I used the ready reckoner and nearly had a heart attack, as the estimate was quite a lot higher. I kept quiet and spent many months worrying about it! Now we know the actual amount, it is nothing like as much as the original estimate, let alone the RR one. We have had a change of curcumstances, but I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I can't tell you how relieved I am...