The Perfect Wholemeal Loaf

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: The Perfect Wholemeal Loaf

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage empire. .....It tells me there will soon be a Channel 4 production on breadmaking called "Knead To Know"!

I'm sticking strongmindedly to my diet - 8lbs lost! - and it will be agony to watch HFW slathering golden butter onto a hunk of perfect warm bread,.......... Looking forward to this!
That is what I call masochism, a bit like one of my favourite sites - just choose your greasy spoon!
I suggest The Dining Room at the Langham for starters - just look at #3 with "sexy tomato seeds".

http://www.kevineats.com/

I don't know what happened previously to that link :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
Last edited by sejintenej on Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

i won a first at the flower show this year for my apple and lavender jelly. Its an interesting taste, not for everyone. I like it on cheese sarnies and my hubby likes it on his morning toast. I've also made tomato chutney for the first time. I love living in the country!
wide awake on the edge of the world
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

wickedwitch wrote:i won a first at the flower show this year for my apple and lavender jelly. Its an interesting taste, not for everyone. I like it on cheese sarnies and my hubby likes it on his morning toast. I've also made tomato chutney for the first time. I love living in the country!
That's what I like about England; this should be in Revolting Pedants or whatever. Where else would jelly be the subject of a Flower Show? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes - lavender has got an "interesting" odour.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

wickedwitch - Miss Jukes would be proud of you. I can't even keep lavender alive in the garden!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Probably due to soil PH-----

I can only grow Parsley (Of either type) in pots, but I am overwhelmed by Rhodedendrons, Azaleas, Camelias etc, the area is ex-Heathland. ! :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Now HFW has sent me a message about sourdough recipes. I must check this out. I've only ever done your traditional British breads!

I must say, Hugh could have timed this better. What about my diet, Hugh? ?

Does anyone know about this sourdough method?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Probably due to soil PH-----

I can only grow Parsley (Of either type) in pots, but I am overwhelmed by Rhodedendrons, Azaleas, Camelias etc, the area is ex-Heathland. ! :oops:
They say that if you can grow parsley in a household, the wife rules the roost.

Angela, I've got a sourdough recipe somewhere. I'll look it up. I know it's tedious, but delicious.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:Now HFW has sent me a message about sourdough recipes. I must check this out. I've only ever done your traditional British breads!

Does anyone know about this sourdough method?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... k.baking68

:D :D :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

midget wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Probably due to soil PH-----

They say that if you can grow parsley in a household, the wife rules the roost.

Angela, I've got a sourdough recipe somewhere. I'll look it up. I know it's tedious, but delicious.

I don't need to know about the Parsley, to understand who rules the Roost in our house ---- do I Darling ?
I CAN say I'm not hen-pecked --- can't I Darling ?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I`ve been making jams and jellies with all the berries from the hedgerows . Will soon be starting on the chutneys using all the donated (and scrumped from CH orchard!) apples - but don`t ask me what I put in them - it`s different every time!
That`s what I like about this time of year - all the free goodies!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thank you for the link David!

I found it fascinating! I should love your recipe, Maggie! I wonder if the wild yeasts are vigorous enough to raise a wholemeal mixture?

This is all very interesting. :?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I have had a new friend facebook request, having read with interest of Virtuous Bread!

Jane Mason - goodness, I'm honoured! - what a wonderful woman.

Jane was a madly high-powered banking strategy consultant - but now she has founded Virtuous Bread which is an enterprise based on her belief in the social benefits and redemptive power of bread making!

The very woman in whom to confide the problems of my heavy house brick dilemmas! Jane tells me that my mixture is too dry, that it should rise for four hours, that I don't knead for long enough. "Your dough should be soft and sticky". She has terrific You Tube videos, in which I can see just what she means. She doesn't flour the board for kneading, using instead a technique with a nifty scraper. Sorry, Miss Jukes.

Her soughdough starter dates back to 1857! Isn't that fabulous? Yes - this very day I'm going to try again with Virtuous Bread techniques. HOGOFs - please check on my reinvented loaf later!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:I have had a new friend facebook request, having read with interest of Virtuous Bread!

Jane Mason - goodness, I'm honoured! - what a wonderful woman.

Jane was a madly high-powered banking strategy consultant - but now she has founded Virtuous Bread which is an enterprise based on her belief in the social benefits and redemptive power of bread making!

The very woman in whom to confide the problems of my heavy house brick dilemmas! Jane tells me that my mixture is too dry, that it should rise for four hours, that I don't knead for long enough. "Your dough should be soft and sticky". She has terrific You Tube videos, in which I can see just what she means. She doesn't flour the board for kneading, using instead a technique with a nifty scraper. Sorry, Miss Jukes.

Her soughdough starter dates back to 1857! Isn't that fabulous? Yes - this very day I'm going to try again with Virtuous Bread techniques. HOGOFs - please check on my reinvented loaf later!
Redemptive powers - definitely. On a course I went on where we made bread they insisted that it must be vigorously kneaded for not a second less than 10 minutes. Certainly strengthens the shoulder and back muscles. ' hours to rise; well some say ¨"overnight". Best of luck
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thank you, dear David! Kind encouragement, as ever!

The Jane Mason method virtuous bread is doing a four-hour rise in the *Cupboard of Gorm. It felt quite strange to knead a much softer dough without flour beneath. As for the nifty scraper, I found one in my husband's tool box - had been used once in the smoothing of plaster, or some such ghastly project. The process was much less messy without extra flour, I found.

(*Airing cupboard which had no shelves. Husband brought home a shelving unit from IKEA called, splendidly "Gorm", and fitted it into cupboard. Isn't he a marvel? :lol: And thinking of IKEA names for products, I have a cakestand called the "Arv Brollop". :shock:)

David, if you're still there, do you ever use fresh yeast? Under the command of Miss Jukes, we liquified it with sugar, but I have read since that this is a bad idea!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

When unemployed, husband made bread and rolls with fresh yeast, certainly had to wake it up with sugar and water. Anger at unemployment certainly produced very good dough. He couldn't bring home the bacon but he could raise some dough. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"