Day pupils

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

looby12
2nd Former

Day pupils

Post by looby12 »

Hi,
Son has expressed interest in applying to CH as a day pupil, does the bursary system still apply? He's scoring 4a at the moment (end of year 4) which I think is quite good and he plays trombone, violin and piano but is completely non sporty, so would it suit him?

Also, have considered applying for a job there, but with the residential jobs do they allow you to have children or am I wasting my time? He wouldn't be right age til September 2013 for CH, so does it work the youngsters going 'off site' to different schools and if so, which ones please?
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Re: Day pupils

Post by ailurophile »

Hi Looby12, and welcome to the Unofficial Forum.

You've asked a lot of questions here, most of which could probably be answered best if you contact CH direct. At the moment, I believe that day places are only open to families able to pay the full fees; however, the method by which eligibility for bursaries is decided is currently under review, so anything could happen!! With regard to the terms and conditions for any jobs you might apply for, you will need to raise these questions with the HR department. If you were to be successful in finding employment at the school, your son's eligibility for an assisted place could presumably be increased - although the arrangements for staff children may also be subject to review.

When considering whether the school would suit your son, he is the best person to decide! My advice would be to book a place at the next CH open day and go along for a look - you'll both have plenty of opportunity to raise questions with pupils and staff, and I'm sure you'll be impressed and reassured.

Good luck in your hunt for a new job and/or school place for your son, I hope everything will work out for you both!
looby12
2nd Former

Post by looby12 »

Thank you so much for replying. I've no experience of independent schools and was quickly realising from the prospectuses that some are heavily geared to sport (which he really hates!)
I've booked for the next open day, thanks for the advice.
I'll contact the HR department about the other questions, didn't realise that the school had one.
Thanks again.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Looby,

yes the school does have a large number of pupils whose parents live and work at the school - I was one of them!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
looby12
2nd Former

Post by looby12 »

Thanks,
I don't think the job application has been successful as the closing date was 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing... tried contacting the hr department but keep getting an answer phone or a standard 'thank you for contacting us' type email.
Still going to attend the next open day and see what son thinks for entry in 2013.

Best wishes x
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

There are a lot of children who hate sports at independent schools, this is more than made up for by opportunities in music, arts, theatre and academic study to keep them occupied that they wouldn't always get the chance to do in the state sector.

Or (like me) they might just start to enjoy it!
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I was no good at sports - but it really didn't matter! :)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Only about 2 or 3 pupils in mine and Craigs year who didnt end up liking sports I think - and the only one I can immediately think of was tim j wright who was always listed as TJ: T.J.Wright when rugby came along