Beating the Retreat

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: Beating the Retreat

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Do they still play the Last Post etc, and the one where the Chapel organ joins in?

You're making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck again, John.
I would love to see a good quality recording on YouTube... (hint, hint!!)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
J.R. wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Do they still play the Last Post etc, and the one where the Chapel organ joins in?

You're making the hairs stand up on the back of my neck again, John.
I would love to see a good quality recording on YouTube... (hint, hint!!)

Don't think it would look the same as in our day ! The Retreat was at the correct time of day in the past, i.e. nearing sunset. I still vividly remember standing on the fountain, bugle-had bathed is sweat, praying for no bum-notes !!

(Uh-Oh !! The hairs are starting to stand again !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

My first beating the retreat yesterday - brilliant !!!

My son's not in the band but I still have a huge sense of pride whenever I see them playing.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

dinahcat wrote:Oh thanks, that's made me feel better. It's good to have support here -especially from parents who live far away from the school.It's hard to give up netball matches and concerts and also the 'school gate'even with all its terrible politics .It's hard not to know what goes on in the school day if you are used to coming home and contemplating it all with your child.
Would my daughter have it any other way ? No, she has had an amazing time and is very grateful and I can't regret that even if I am sad that I didn't see some of it.
Mr Flemming is apparently ,is tonight, uploading his photos of the Grecians' Ball onto the school website.He and Mrs Flemming have been really wonderful House Parents this year-nothing is too much trouble for them.
I don't know how it will be tomorrow. I always love the Retreat but it will be especially poignant tomorrow but I think Mr Whittingham knows that every year is special for those who are leaving and their parents or carers and it's aways the same-uplifting ,majestic and just lovely.Note to self-must get tissues from shop before I leave...
Dinahcat - every single Grecian will receive, at some time in the next couple of weeks, a disc with every photo he took on it.
He used to take his camera to Jessops first thing Saturday morning and had photos printed - but it meant that he and Mrs F spent all Retreat time getting the photos sorted and handed out.
This way saves so much time - and gives them chance to watch Retreat.

I believe your daughter is still around?? I`ll send some goodies round for them!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Yes ,she is and would love to see a friendly face! The Retreat was the best I have seen in six years and certainly Matt Coster's Last Post was the very best I have heard ( I believe Mr W thought so too) -Matt is very talented-there were no wobbles and it was played with emotion and dignity . You would have thought it was a professional it was so perfect .The weather was perfect.
Sadly two pupils watching, in uniform, didn't stand up for the National Anthem but I guess they are Republicans :lol: . Or maybe they don't have any respect for the band - I can't believe that!
Thanks for the news about the DVD -a parent also gave my daugher at disk with the Grecians Ball photos on as they were able to come to the school to see the 'parade' -they all looked fabulous.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

There were a group of pupils in the quad who talked (loudly) all the way through the last post and the National Anthem. Someone tried to get them to quieten down but to no avail, it actually meant that we could not hear the last post clearly as we were quite a long way away. However that was the only slight annoyance in an otherwise perfect afternoon.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

Someone tried to get them to quieten down
My Dad, I think.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

The person I saw was wearing a skirt so I don't think it was your Dad!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHDad wrote:The person I saw was wearing a skirt so I don't think it was your Dad!!!

(No comment !)
bluegrunt
3rd Former

Post by bluegrunt »

CHDad wrote:There were a group of pupils in the quad who talked (loudly) all the way through the last post and the National Anthem.
Standards would seem to be slipping. If that had happened in my day there would have been a quick clip round the ear delivered to the nearest boy in the group.
LHA 69-72; Col A 72-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

bluegrunt wrote:
CHDad wrote:There were a group of pupils in the quad who talked (loudly) all the way through the last post and the National Anthem.
Standards would seem to be slipping. If that had happened in my day there would have been a quick clip round the ear delivered to the nearest boy in the group.

..... and if reported to House Master in my time, would certainly have resulted in a caning !
Chay_z11
2nd Former

Post by Chay_z11 »

Don't know if anyone's seen this already, but many thanks to CH21stC for recording and posting this video of Beating Retreat on youtube :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9yRQYg8FWo
Chayton Kent
Peele A 50
2006-2011
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Thanks Chay!
nice one!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Thank you very much for posting that - genuinely made my day.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Brilliant ! Thanks very much.