sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Post by lonelymom »

ailurophile wrote: We've always used cheap holdalls; you can bung them on top of the wardrobes.
Don't forget that not all houses have the same beds. Some, like my girls' house, have cabin beds, so there isn't a top to their wardrobe, and the space inside is very limited. There is lots of room at the end of the bed though, so suitcases/bags can be stored there.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Dont't they store suitcases and trunks down in the tube anymore?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Volupturaptor wrote:Ooh, interesting. I just assumed we'd leave them there. So does that mean we have to get them all unpacked, and are expected to do/oversee all the packing for holidays/weekends? We don't actually own any suitcases, and having looked at the prices of them we won't be getting any either, was going to get some cheap holdalls, but I don't imagine they'll be able to stand neatly anywhere... :?
You definitely help unpack everything on their first day and around this time they also go off and get their uniform as well. We have always helped pack up at the end of term as they usually have to take everything home. Leave weekends and half terms DS packs his own bits and pieces up.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHDad wrote:
Volupturaptor wrote:Ooh, interesting. I just assumed we'd leave them there. So does that mean we have to get them all unpacked, and are expected to do/oversee all the packing for holidays/weekends? We don't actually own any suitcases, and having looked at the prices of them we won't be getting any either, was going to get some cheap holdalls, but I don't imagine they'll be able to stand neatly anywhere... :?
You definitely help unpack everything on their first day and around this time they also go off and get their uniform as well. We have always helped pack up at the end of term as they usually have to take everything home. Leave weekends and half terms DS packs his own bits and pieces up.

Wow, how times change.

On my first arrival at CH, my Mother was allowed a few minutes, (and I mean a few minutes). to say her farewells, then I was introduced to my 'nursemaid, and that was it !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
CHDad wrote:

Wow, how times change.

On my first arrival at CH, my Mother was allowed a few minutes, (and I mean a few minutes). to say her farewells, then I was introduced to my 'nursemaid, and that was it !
To follow up on JR, parents were sent packing ASAP with the possibility of one mid term visitation depending on son's good behaviour. Following despatch of unwanted adults it was lessons in putting on (?correct verb? - more like puncturing the windpipe or so it seemed) bands followed by learning marching followed by unpacking of trunk, stowing it in the asbestos lined tube and confiscation of any interesting looking tuck, books etc
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Such sweet memories David, NOT !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Things were not that much different at Hertford! Most of the girls travelled by train so few parents came to the school to collect their offspring. Mine did as we lived less than 10 miles away for much of my time there. I felt deprived not going on the school train!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

On my first arrival at CH, my Mother was allowed a few minutes, (and I mean a few minutes). to say her farewells, then I was introduced to my 'nursemaid, and that was it ![/quote]

I remeber going down the PO path with my Mother.
Col A 1946-1953
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

When we arrived at Hertford I was whisked away to the Wardrobe Room to be kitted out. Then downstairs where parents were waiting (don't know how they passed the time) and goodbye! No visit until the first Long Sat. (approx. 11am until 5pm) 4 weeks later; only letters until then.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DavidRawlins wrote:On my first arrival at CH, my Mother was allowed a few minutes, (and I mean a few minutes). to say her farewells, then I was introduced to my 'nursemaid, and that was it !
I remeber going down the PO path with my Mother.
I'm unsure if you joined Col A direct or went through the Prep; I suspect the former. I certainly cannot remember appointing any nursemaids when I was trades mon. though how the newcomers were assimilated I don't recall. Certainly a trip down the P O Path would have been out from 1953 to 1961 - no leaving the house without permission express or implied and I very much doubt if Prep would have allowed it either.
Last edited by sejintenej on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

Is there evidence that the ‘new’ system is better for the students? Certainly in the 50s the first few days were tough, but I don’t remember separation being a major longterm issue. If anything the two? half day visits each term made things worse. I suppose there must be a tipping point, where students get to see their family so frequently that homesickness is minimal.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I've had to order more name labels :shock:

- I must have lost some, I can't have sewn 144 labels on :shock:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I've just found about 60 :oops:

Lets hope son doesn't change houses in the next few years!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

The problem is that they have an annoying habit of growing so you still have to sew on more labels every holiday! That said the first term is definitely the worst.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

About ordinary clothing...

Just how robust does it need to be to stand up to the "Rigours of the school laundry"?
I understand that sequins are probably out, but what about printed T shirts? Rubberised printing? Metallic printing? Is the laundry thing just a standard joke, or does much clothing really get ruined?
I don't want to have to go out buying plain tops when my daughter already has so many printed ones... :?