Should I change my browser?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Re: Should I change my browser?

Post by mvgrogan »

I use Firefox for most things but every now & then use IE (like if I want to get into my hotmail - rarely). So, I have both on the PC, just don't use IE often.
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Fjgrogan wrote:Telephone Preference Service is great, but it doesn't stop calls purporting to be from overseas.
Never had any so can't comment on that! :)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I've used IEand Firefox.
Firefox on my old PC until the power unit died which was about the time that Microsh** brought out massively upgraded antivirus updates. I do use extensive firewalls on the house net plus Avast etc here.

My current PC is solely IE though I don't think much of it - I really liked the tabs in Firefox which IE doesn't have. OTOH I got hangups with Firefox even more than with IE.

FYI I know that HSBC Bank offers cheap (?free) antivirus software and I suspect the other banks do as well.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

sejintenej wrote:I've used IEand Firefox.
Firefox on my old PC until the power unit died which was about the time that Microsh** brought out massively upgraded antivirus updates. I do use extensive firewalls on the house net plus Avast etc here.

My current PC is solely IE though I don't think much of it - I really liked the tabs in Firefox which IE doesn't have. OTOH I got hangups with Firefox even more than with IE.

FYI I know that HSBC Bank offers cheap (?free) antivirus software and I suspect the other banks do as well.
IE8 has tabs. Also if you want free AV software, I've used AVG and am currently using Avast.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Yep ! I rang Virgin Media about my Overseas Sales Calls --- and they told me that TPS would cover that, but that I had to re-register each year, so I rang TPS to register and was told "This number is already registered"
They have sent me (They say) a comp;aints form --- which I shall use to request accurate information

During the last 4 days I have received TWO notifications that I have won a luxury holiday !!!
One is in the Caribbean the other in Florida.

You know, I am tempted to reply -- just to see what the sales pitch is !!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Just trying out Camino.
Anyone ever used it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The two men in my office (computer useless the pair of them) both use IE (and don't even know what it means) while Gabrielle and I use Firefox and Chrome. I also use Chrome at home.

We had a girlie giggle over the BBC report.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I used Chrome, to look up something, and, being geriatric, wanted to print it.

No joy --- little notice, at the end "Copyright"

I didn't realise that "Information" was "Copyright " !!!! :oops:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

New laptop came with IE loaded on Windows 7. I have loaded the latest Firefox; Firefox is infinitely faster than IE. I don't know about resource needs (I seem to have far too much memory including 392gB of hard disk and 2 gB of RAM!) but I did prefer the earlier versions on screen (doesn't help that the 890 pages of manuals are in French). For presentation I still prefer Firefox out of the two.
I am concerned about Chrome because I don't know if the writers have put in some back doors through which they can get info. (I'm thinking about Apple (?) ability to trace every movement of every one of the owners of one of their products - if they can do it no doubt less reputable people will be using that to get blackmail evidence (IF you've naughty))
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I wish I understood any of the last post, from David !

I just sit in front of the screen and log on to CH Forum, or Outlook Express , while the machine plays lovely melodies by the "New Seekers" -- and the like.

Perhaps I should have posted this on "I am sad !"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I wish I understood any of the last post, from David !

I just sit in front of the screen and log on to CH Forum, or Outlook Express , while the machine plays lovely melodies by the "New Seekers" -- and the like.

Perhaps I should have posted this on "I am sad !"
Don't worry about it. Somebody, somewhere put a load of stuff in your black box machine which allows you to get into CHForum. He / she / it was probably bribed (by the hope of continued employment perhaps) to choose and load one of a dozen available programs (WTF do we have to spell that the merkin way?), each of which does the same job either quickly, semi-quickly or slowly or snailpaced or at "tear your last hair out" speed.
For me with my overall setup Firefox sings, the Microsoft product sucks and I suspect the one called Chrome ****. It's like your rifle; if it works don't mend it until it is broken
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I have a "Security System" called "Firewall" --- which takes about three minutes to allow me to do anything.

I don't know about the Rifle -- but I sometimes feel like fixing bayonets and charging the screen ! :?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have a "Security System" called "Firewall" --- which takes about three minutes to allow me to do anything.

I don't know about the Rifle -- but I sometimes feel like fixing bayonets and charging the screen ! :?
Gone to PM - I wonder if his "history" has too high a setting and is clogged. That happens to me frequently
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have a "Security System" called "Firewall" --- which takes about three minutes to allow me to do anything.

Gone to PM - I wonder if his "history" has too high a setting and is clogged. That happens to me frequently

Sounds about right David. Probably a defrag would help as well.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Click on Tools then select the delete browsing history option.

That should remove the temporary internet files and cookies which often contribute to a slow machine.

Much more than that is way beyond my capability!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72