Riots, London and Elsewhere

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Riots, London and Elsewhere

Post by Mid A 15 »

I hope nobody on here has got caught up in these....
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Riots, London and Elsewhere

Post by anniexf »

I used to live half-a-mile from the Surrey Street market in Croydon, where the furniture store on Reeves Corner has been burnt down. 140+ years of history gone in a couple of hours. Now central Birmingham is being smashed up and looted. But to answer your question Andy, so far no probs., thanks. Are you and yours all safe?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

anniexf wrote:I used to live half-a-mile from the Surrey Street market in Croydon, where the furniture store on Reeves Corner has been burnt down. 140+ years of history gone in a couple of hours. Now central Birmingham is being smashed up and looted. But to answer your question Andy, so far no probs., thanks. Are you and yours all safe?
All ok touchwood thanks!

My middle daughter is in Edgbaston but (hopefully) that is far enough out. She seemed fairly relaxed when I spoke to her earlier.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussio ... -cancelled

This link is from a Charlton fans website but vividly shows how the thing has spread through different parts of London if you can ignore some of the choicer language and views! 1200 plus posts and the majority of them today. I've spent far too long following it.

I hope Ben Ashton is ok in his part of Woolwich as, according to the link, the riots have affected Powis Street (the main shopping area). If he is where I think he is he lives 5-10 minutes away.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I've been playing with horses all weekend, and only briefly heard from the radio that there had been riots in Tottenham. Clearly things are much worse than I thought. Off to google. Thinking of you all.

xx
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

At least our 'beloved' leader has returned early from his hols.

Bring the army in, I say. Rubber bullets and water cannons would soon quieten 'em down.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

A good business to get into might be "Bomb Proof" film on the plate glass windows.

We used them in all of our offices. Once there was a riot and they attacked a branch, and the rioters were filmed throwing a Molotov cocktail which bounced off. They then had a go with a sledge hammer, which although it broke the glass, they only managed to make a small hole in the plastic.

Unfortunately the next Molotov set the frayed edge of the plastic film on fire and the resultant black smoke filled the branch.
Pretty gruesome but we had the branch open the next day.

As it was a political demonstration against the US, the Argentine police stood well back.

The riots in Panama after the US invasion were pretty spectacular, but the US army took care of that. I have some of that on film.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: As it was a political demonstration against the US, the Argentine police stood well back.
The riots in Panama after the US invasion were pretty spectacular, but the US army took care of that. I have some of that on film.
We had "demonstrations" following UDI in Rhodesia during which missiles were thrown at our local head office. It was arranged in advance which windows would be broken so that no staff were in danger. Also demonstrators kept well away from the back staff entrance. No hassle - it was just for the newspaper cameramen.
Visiting Banco Ambrosiano in Milan before the collapse we came across a noisy demonstration against the bank in the street outside. A demonstrator led us round the demonstration and let us in a back door!
I have also been through a demonstration outside our head office in Sao Paulo - deafeningly noisy but good natured and safe.
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

My son was kept awake by hovering Police helicopters at Clapham. Fortunately the rioting on Lavender hill stopped a couple of streets away. They've been e-mailed to collect the children early from Nursery as there is still "unrest" in the area and the staff want to get safely home before any other trouble starts.... So worrying....
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

I was in Woolwich today, the DLR station is apparently a mess, Wetherspoons burnt and Tesco Express wrecked but no other reports of damage. There is a video on the disturance.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14436499
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Oops just seen this onn BBC website:
03:06 BST - London Fire Brigade lists the major blazes is it fighting in the capital: 1. Timber yard fire ongoing in East Ham on Plashet Grove. Four fire engines and 20 firefighters on site. 2. Shopping centre and offices of four floors fire on Woolwich New Road. Whole of the ground floor is alight. 20 firefighters attending. 3. The fire on Lavender Hill now has eight fire engines and 40 firefighters at the scene. Most of the ground floor and part of first floor alight. 4. 40 firefighters at a fire in a warehouse on Solar Way in Enfield
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I used, casually, to lace up my battered plimsolls for gym, or my dear old Dunlop Green Flashes for tennis...

Who would think that one day, the descendents of those shoes would become an incredibly expensive definer of status and get looted by feral children from blazing emporia? The trophies of riots?

Seems weird to me. :shock:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

What else do you expect from a former member of the Bullingham Club ? Of course, 'Hooray Henry' Boris was another !!

Q.E.D.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

J.R. wrote:At least our 'beloved' leader has returned early from his hols.

Bring the army in, I say. Rubber bullets and water cannons would soon quieten 'em down.
Why always the Army ?----- the PBI I assume ? -- Brigade of Guards on "Public Duties" ?.

Last time we (The Paras) were involved in "Civil Disturbavce" was bl**dy Sunday.

There used to be a book "Imperial Policing" which was changed to "Duties in aid of the Civil Powers" and which set out the procedures for dealing with riots.
I, particularly, remember the instructions to draw a line across the road, and put up a notice sayint "The first person to cross this line will be shot !"
Of course the Mob would dance up to the line and shout from there -- and then somebody, perhaps a woman, would be pushed across ----
The instuctions were clear -- SHOOT ! -- man woman or child -- otherwise you would be overwhelmed.

Of course, these tactics would not, nowadays, be tolerated,---- but what would be the Rules of engagement ?

Better to stop "Police Cuts " ?????
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

It may well be a figment of my distorted memory, but maybe JR can confirm.
I seem to remember a black and white film shown to the CCF in the Science Lecture Theatre, which showed crowd control, army style, in a very obvious Indian Continent situation, where the person crossing the imaginary line, was indeed shot.
It may well have been acted but seemed pretty real to me.

Maybe they should take it around the schools with the message, "Keep going they way you are and there are no guarantees that this will not happen!"
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)