first day of term for second formers

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: first day of term for second formers - 7/9/11

Post by lonelymom »

sallyscan wrote: *That fantastic little red book "Calendar" - does anyone know if parents can have a copy as I'm pretty sure I wont get the information from my daughter?

* Her toiletries bag is bulging rather - cotton wool pads, moisturizers etc - do they have a bin with each desk? or one for the whole dorm?

Things she is not taking, that we will discuss after first leave weekend - mobile phone, wellies, DSi, jewelry .......
Do you know if they have fruit in the house? or is there enough in the dining hall? their own mug and hot chocolate?? - things maybe they will decide amongst themselves.
That is your copy of the calendar, your daughter will get her own copy at school. Two people normally share one bin, it's emptied every day so it doesn't overflow. And yes, matron normally has bananas, apples, little packs of biscuits, things like that. As for her own mug, my girls were supplied with one, and they get invited to their housemother's flat in groups for hot chocolate, but if she likes it a lot you could pop some in :) Good luck xx
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: first day of term for second formers

Post by Mrs C. »

there is always fruit available in Dining Hall, as well as hot drinks.
In addition tuckshop will probably be selling hot drinks from this term .
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

HOW MANY EXTRA SOCKS WILL HE NEED

please :D

I haven't got half the stuff you are taking Sally, but I have a boy :lol:

Do we need all that stationery? I have pens, pencils, geo set, ruler, coloured pencils. I do seem to have packed more tuck though :lol:
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Don't worry!!!

I send my ds back with about 7 or 8 civvy tops (so he can have a clean one each day if he wants to) plus a smarter shirt in case his Grampa comes to take him out! Then 2 pairs of jeans and a pair of non-jeans (for Grampa!). Socks - he has plenty of white sport socks which I think he wears for civvies as well but another 3 or 4 pairs of dark ones I think.
Dressing gown, a couple of warm jumpers, waterproof jacket (in case it's raining at the weekend), 2 pairs of pyjamas, underwear, that's it I think.
Anything that s/he needs and doesn't have - someone will contact you and you can send it down but they will help out.

Oh, and good luck everyone for Wednesday! I dropped my ds off as an LE yesterday and can't believe how quickly it has gone by. Take lots of photos!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Just to say good luck to both the new and the returning parents and pupils.

Nearly 46 years since my first day :oops:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Can I just say COATHANGERS!

(which my youngest forgot yesterday!)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I echo Mid A 15, good luck to all involved on the day - can't believe it is more than 50 years since my first day at CH - or even 29 years since I left my little 8 year old Jeremy at boarding school - he survived, and so did I!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Sallyscan that all sounds about right. Dont' worry, if you have missed anything it will not be a problem. I actually think that they can get by with much less stuff than what is on the list. After the first 21/2 weeks it all seems much easier on subsequent returns to school and your daughter will tell you what she needs/doesn't need.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote:I echo Mid A 15, good luck to all involved on the day - can't believe it is more than 50 years since my first day at CH I!

Same from me ! The first few days will be the worst, then it just gets better and better.

53 years and 7 months since my arrival ! Where DOES time go ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Yes, good luck to all new 2nd formers and their parents. The big adventure starts tomorrow...................
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Best wishes from me also to all the 'squits' and families. The first day can be a nerve-wracking time but you'll be amazed how quickly CH becomes part of your normal life.

Pinkhebe, if you're still anxious about socks I suggest you pack sufficient pairs for a week's wear (which rather depends on the individual child!). And try not to worry; if they do forget anything, or need fresh supplies, the matrons can usually help out. Even with years of experience of packing for school, I still get frantic requests every term from DS asking me to post the things he's left behind!!

Have fun tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you all.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Even with years of experience of packing for school, I still get frantic requests every term from DS asking me to post the things he's left behind!!
I expect and plan for a trip to the post office with a parcel of forgotten 'essentials'! Did one trip yesterday as expected!!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I have bought another 4 pairs of black socks, that gives him 7 in total + 4/5 white pairs (I've forgotton exactly) and 4 pairs of football socks. I've now run out of tape thank goodness so can no longer sew anymore sock ties on.

We're packed and ready to roll!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Good luck, everyone! Remember cameras & tissues, & be prepared for lump-in-throat syndrome ...
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Good Luck! And if any of you need a virtual shoulder to cry on over the next few days/weeks, please feel free to use mine - lots of us have been there and know how it feels x