Pub shout!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Pub shout!

Post by cupcakemom »

A while ago some bright spark suggested a swift half in a pub near CH after we have dropped off on Wednesday. I wondered if anyone was up for this ... certainly for me it would be nice to put some faces to names and, perhaps, have a chat and relax before the drive home. I'm only vaguely familiar with the surrounding area of CH - I know the Bax Castle (no idea how it's spelt, clearly) and know I've passed another one on the way into Horsham. If any of you think would be a good idea can you suggest a suitable location!! (My father is no doubt turning in his grave at the idea that his daughter cannot name the pubs near CH ... he would have named them, known the landlord and told you the applicable brewery too!).
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Pub shout!

Post by lonelymom »

It would probably have to be the Bax, because the Boar's Head was closed yesterday - there were notices in the windows but I was in the car so couldn't read them so not sure if it was just temporary or more long-term?
lonelymom :rolleyes:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lonelymom wrote:It would probably have to be the Bax, because the Boar's Head was closed yesterday - there were notices in the windows but I was in the car so couldn't read them so not sure if it was just temporary or more long-term?

Where will Peter Andre stop for a swift one on his way South now ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

lonelymom wrote:It would probably have to be the Bax, because the Boar's Head was closed yesterday - there were notices in the windows but I was in the car so couldn't read them so not sure if it was just temporary or more long-term?
it`s been closed for a couple of weeks or so now.
Awaiting new landlord I think.
Saw people in it this morning so maybe something`s happening.

My daughter and her friends are most put out that their local has closed!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

The Boars Head still looks very closed - pity - I had a great risotto with another parent whilst waiting for the residential to end.

There is the Bax castle , or the Hen and chickens on the Worthing road in Southwater - if you leave CH and go back to Horsham... Turn right to go up the hill away from Horsham at the Boars Head. Then past the park and ride, second exit on the roundabout towards southwater. Take the second exit, and the pub is a short way along on the left hand side. I have no idea what it's like, but should be good for a quick meet up after we are dismissed.

..or the Bax Castle is very good, but I can't remember the directions - perhaps someone could put up a link.

I'd love to meet some other parents, and put faces to names :-)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Atticus wrote:The Boars Head still looks very closed - pity - I had a great risotto with another parent whilst waiting for the residential to end.

There is the Bax castle , or the Hen and chickens on the Worthing road in Southwater - if you leave CH and go back to Horsham... Turn right to go up the hill away from Horsham at the Boars Head. Then past the park and ride, second exit on the roundabout towards southwater. Take the second exit, and the pub is a short way along on the left hand side. I have no idea what it's like, but should be good for a quick meet up after we are dismissed.

..or the Bax Castle is very good, but I can't remember the directions - perhaps someone could put up a link.

I'd love to meet some other parents, and put faces to names :-)

This is their web-site, if it helps !

http://www.thebaxcastle.co.uk/
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

I can recommend The Queen's Head, a lovely pub not far from CH in Barns Green. We've taken our boys there for Sunday lunch a couple of times - but not very recently, so I can't guarantee that it's still open! (So many country pubs seem to be closing nowadays, or changing somewhat bizarrely into Indian restaurants).
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Does anyone fancy coming along to the Bax Castle after we have to leave?

Thank you for the link to it

Just finishing off a pencil case, then a cup of tea and we are off . Dd looking calmer than me ;-)