first day of term for second formers

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

blackbox123
2nd Former

Re: first day of term for second formers

Post by blackbox123 »

Read this post and now im in panic mode!! :(

I hadn't packed civvies socks. I went to get a couple of pairs from the sock draw to label and half that loot have got big wide holes in them!!! :lol: trust boys,eh! Hubby is bringing a pack from asda as I type.

I'm using sallyscan's post as a checklist. Lucky that most stationary was already available (left over from my uni days). No colouring pencils though, he is a boy so hopefully these won't be missed unless he asks for them in the future.

I asked this question in the official forum but i will here too. When do we get to fill in forms for leave weekend train travel to London Victoria? I've filled in so many forms now that I can't recall some them! If they sent it to us then I must have lost it. oh well something had to give. It has been almost perfect until now. Got to find a laundry bag now.

Another question, tuck boxes - i assumed they locked all tuck in the locker. So all tuck is in an M&S bag for life to be emptied into locker. What's the box for?

Good luck to you all!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Their "tuck box" is their locker which you can put a lock on (there is not a separate tuck box). You are quite right to take the tuck in a carrier bag and put it in the locker.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Don't panic!!

The leave weekend arrangement form is yellow, if you've lost it you can get another one easily. And yes, tuck is put into lockers, so no box necessary. And if he needs coloured pencils for prep I'm sure he can borrow some. See, no panicking necessary!
lonelymom :rolleyes:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I also do not have a travel form, maybe they forgot to send them?

Re stationery, do they need paper/files etc? I haven't bought any because it wasn't until gcse that I needed them so I assumed they wouldn't need them.

What about water bottles (the refillable ones)?
blackbox123
2nd Former

Post by blackbox123 »

Thanks for that information CHdad and lonelymom! I feel better now. I was going mad and I think it was driving my brother mad!

He has managed to cheer up today after a few sad days! I think it finally hit him about 5 days ago that he was leaving home and nothing has cheered him up since (must have been all that final packing). I found him in a better mood after work today. It must be the footy that has taken the edge off. Its always footy that works. It will be interesting to see how he gets on with not watching as many games as he has in the past.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

and our tuck is in a sainsburys bag for life - you're obviously posher than me :D

My son is going into Peele B, which house is yours going into?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Neither of mine have ever taken paper with them, I'm pretty sure if they needed it they would be given some. I can't remember whether they've taken files/folders, but if you do need to get one then it would wait until leave weekend. Both of mine take water bottles with them, actually they take a large 2 litre bottle of water back, and refill it from the kitchen tap, because they hate the taste of the water from the upstairs taps.
blackbox123
2nd Former

Post by blackbox123 »

pinkhebe wrote:and our tuck is in a sainsburys bag for life - you're obviously posher than me :D

My son is going into Peele B, which house is yours going into?
Oh its my brother that's going to CH. We have a 16yr gap so you could say im practicallly his mum!

He is going into Middleton B!

I don't think im posher, I worked part time in M&S back in my uni days thus i have a few lying around the house.
sallyscan
2nd Former

Post by sallyscan »

So today is the day...... why am I pacing up and down the kitchen and she is sound asleep!! - maybe if I get it out of my system now i'll be more composed later - we are the family that when i was welling up leaving her at the residential she just said - "Mum, it is just like a sleepover with some exams thrown in"
Thanks for the "water bottle" posts - we had wondered about that and re - stationary, my daughter is constantly writing notes, poems and lyrics to her future pop hits, hence all the paper etc and the bin question!
They are all individual young people embarking on an amazing adventure together - like us all really ( well maybe less of the young) so LOVE to ALL today and everyday - parents, families, friends and pupils and Good Luck and Gratitude to all the STAFF x
- oh and if you see a wreck of a woman in the bushes around Barnes A - it's just me failing to keep it together! xx
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Sallyscan - my dd is going into Barnes B .... so you'll not be alone in that bush you know! Worse night's sleep last night. I'm grateful my dd is so excited - if she was sad about going I'd be a bubbling wreck by now. Having all the packing and organizing to do has given me focus - but once the case was zipped up yesterday it hit me - been on the verge of tears ever since! Got to pull it together for her today. I know she will cry when I leave - she ALWAYS does but I also know she ALWAYS sorts herself out within minutes of my departure ... well, so I've been told by teachers after every school trip and even other parents at the November entrance exams and the residential!!

I too don't have the travel form or the health form. I've simply typed the house mistress a letter confirming I'll be taking her to and from school by car and also the status of her health remains unchanged since the form i completed in April. Seeing as I had to chase the fee notification letter which finally arrived mid-July I wasn't too surprised to discover the odd form here and there missing!

Good luck to fellow squit parents today and THANK YOU to everyone who has given support and advice on this forum. Heaven knows what sort of muddle I'd be in right now without it! Thanks, everyone. x
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Sallyscan, if your daughter is going into Barnes she'll be fine, it's a great house!! (although B side is obviously better than A side, but she'll be so very near the BEST girls ever, and in with the second best :wink: - competitive? Noooooo!)

Best of luck to her today, and all the other little ones x
sallyscan
2nd Former

Post by sallyscan »

Mrs D's "Induction and Discovery Diary" - just remembered to put it into school bag! x
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

lonelymom wrote:Sallyscan, if your daughter is going into Barnes she'll be fine, it's a great house!! (although B side is obviously better than A side, but she'll be so very near the BEST girls ever, and in with the second best :wink: - competitive? Noooooo!)

Best of luck to her today, and all the other little ones x
I know very little about the Horsham houses but I decided Barnes B was my favourite after discovering 5s Mons Board there (from Hertford, with my name on it - twice :D).

Good luck to all today's new starters - it all seems so long ago now!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

:offtopic:
Jo wrote:I know very little about the Horsham houses but I decided Barnes B was my favourite after discovering 5s Mons Board there (from Hertford, with my name on it - twice :D).
How did you manage that Jo, you weren't there early enough to be a Junior Mon and a Senior one, I think there was an Alison .... (can't remember) who was a Junior Mon in 5s, came into 6s and then returned to 5s when Junior houses were abolished and then became a Mon.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Can I also add my best wishes to all starting their new adventure today (parents as well as children) - I never knew my mother was panicking that much 29 years ago - but then I am male....... :lol:
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989