The Morning After

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: The Morning After

Post by Atticus »

Hmmmm - dd emailed last night to see if she could do a dance class in Horsham on Saturday's.

Have emailed back, why, and doesn't she have lessons? Lol

She seems fine, but wants more dandy and dr who mags ;-)
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Following recent posts from Atticus and Pibble, who said "I got the impression from the House Parent that there were a few local children this intake", I am curious - are all local pupils now offered the option of a day place, or does this only apply to full fee payers? I realise of course that even children living nearby might well have a social or emotional need for full boarding; but at a time when the Foundation is struggling to meet the increasing costs of full boarding, surely it would save money to have local pupils attend on a day basis wherever possible.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

CH has always taken local children . In our very specific case , dd has been identified as having a very strong need to go to CH as a border, and has been also given a governor to support her. Problems within families are not geographically governed.

We were not given the option of a day place because of the level of need as assessed by the school.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Atticus wrote:
CH has always taken local children . In our very specific case , dd has been identified as having a very strong need to go to CH as a border, and has been also given a governor to support her. Problems within families are not geographically governed.
Sorry Atticus, I had no intention of prying into your specific family circumstances or suggesting that no local children should be supported in a boarding place.

I'm aware that CH has always taken local children; but it has only taken day pupils in the last year. I'm simply interested to know whether this option is now offered to local families who apply for a bursary place - assuming, obviously, that their home circumstances would allow for this. Quite apart from the potential cost saving to the Foundation, there may well be children who could benefit from a CH education but would prefer not to board if they had the choice.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

No problem ailurophile, I know I was being very specific to our situation, but the other local boarding families will have their own specific reasons, and to board only a few miles away from home is an unusual step to make, especially as the state schools here are good.

The day pupils pay a full fee ( without the boarding costs), and there is no bursary available,but I'm not sure about scholarships), but there may be others on here with a better understanding than me .

On a different note - just realised that she has been there for over a week and I forgot to send more named trainer socks - I've been so preoccupied with not getting emails.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

In under a week our dc's will be home - do you wonder how they have changed ? ( or is it just me )

Found out about the ballet - she isn't trying to get out of netball or any lessons, it's something in-house :-)
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

The Morning After

Post by cupcakemom »

Didn't think I'd hear myself say this ... but for me the time has gone quite quickly! Communication from my DD is decreasing which I am sure is a good sign and now when she does e-mail there is generally less of the "love you, miss you" stuff at the end which has removed the rather desperate tone to her missives!

I am very curious to see how she's changed. I am equally as curious to see how youngest DD behaves - she has grown up and matured unbelievably over the last couple of weeks - and it's been remarked on by teachers and friends.

Oh - roll on Friday!
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

It has gone quickly, although it's not quite over yet.
It is soon enough for me to be sorting through my daughters things for some warmer PJs and a blanket, so I can get them labelled though...
Had a reassuring chat with the house mistress earlier, so really looking forward to Friday now! (Was slightly worried before, in case my weekend might be filled with tales of woe!)
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Oh no - just got a very homesick email :-(
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Atticus - I'm sure that is because the leave weekend is really close now, so she is thinking more of home. I well remember the Housemaster (not CH) saying to me that there would be something wrong with home life if it wasn't better than school. It helped me then.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

The Morning After

Post by cupcakemom »

Atticus ... This time tomorrow ...
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

Katharine wrote:Atticus - I'm sure that is because the leave weekend is really close now, so she is thinking more of home. I well remember the Housemaster (not CH) saying to me that there would be something wrong with home life if it wasn't better than school. It helped me then.
I so agree and it's what I kept telling myself when my ds had a few hard first days. I feel so excited about tomorrow I cannot wait! Hope everybody has a lovely weekend and no doubt will we be back on the forum next week :(
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

I agree, I think that the homesickness is due to her thinking about coming home tomorrow, and that she has been generally fine. I can't wait to see her.

I hope that all the children and their families have wonderful weekends :-)