The End Is Nigh (This Means You)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Re: The End Is Nigh (This Means You)

Post by Chris Blewett »

just to cheer you all up about the accuracy of doctors - when my father was born, in 1923, his parents were told he was a 'sickly' child (with lung problems) and were told he wouldn't live to go to school. He died aged 67 having lived a wonderful life (having been a priest and a teacher) and fathered 2 marvelously fantastic children (well.....I would say that wouldn't i!!)

My point.....doctors don't know everything and there ideas of when you are going to die are just guesses!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3863

If you haven't seen Will's personal blog read it now.

My husband's grandmother had a hemorrhage after giving birth to her second child in 1923/4 and her husband was told she wouldn't survive the night. She had three more children, and surviving a goitre removal, stroke and fractured hip, finally succumbing to a strangulated hernia at the age of 84 in 1985.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Young lad came into Scout troop I was running. His mother, a nurse, was concerned that I didn't allow him to become too active because he had been forecast to die by the age of six of cystic fibrosis and activity was bad for him. I had great problems keeping his activity down to moderate levels. Unfortunately he died a few weeks ago well into his forties which shows how reliable some forecasts can be.

My wife was in the maternity hospital with a woman who was having a baby after an extremely long gap. It turns out that whilst having her first child she overheard that "something" - she didn't know what (but waters to you and me) had broken and she was terrified that it had not been stitched up.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

sejintenej wrote:Young lad came into Scout troop I was running. His mother, a nurse, was concerned that I didn't allow him to become too active because he had been forecast to die by the age of six of cystic fibrosis and activity was bad for him. I had great problems keeping his activity down to moderate levels. Unfortunately he died a few weeks ago well into his forties which shows how reliable some forecasts can be.

My wife was in the maternity hospital with a woman who was having a baby after an extremely long gap. It turns out that whilst having her first child she overheard that "something" - she didn't know what (but waters to you and me) had broken and she was terrified that it had not been stitched up.
Bill Mitchell was the year above me at CH. I only knew him a few months, from the merger in August 85 up to Christmas of the same year. He had CF and had been only given until he was 13 years old. When I met him, he was 18 and applying for University. He died during the Christmas Break 1985. To think that someone born around the same time has now lived into his forties is very hopeful for the future of CF sufferers.
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

englishangel wrote:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3863

My husband's grandmother had a hemorrhage after giving birth to her second child in 1923/4 and her husband was told she wouldn't survive the night. She had three more children, and surviving a goitre removal, stroke and fractured hip, finally succumbing to a strangulated hernia at the age of 84 in 1985.
Thanks Mary - I've just read it. I really cant find any words to say! I am really glad that I've ordered a copy of his book though!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Chris Blewett wrote:
englishangel wrote:viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3863

Thanks Mary - I've just read it. I really cant find any words to say! I am really glad that I've ordered a copy of his book though!
Holy Smokes - what a story!! His life that is - not read the book yet!
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Recently TBA and I travelled on a ship, with a definite "East European" atmosphere, to see the Northern lights --- Wonderful !
HOWEVER -- the first indication, of what was to come (I coild write a book about the voyage !!") was that my Debit card was "Refused"

It turned out that some idiot in-numerate had entered my date of birth as 03/04/2028.
I have heard of "Second Youth" --- but this is ridiculous !! :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Recently TBA and I travelled on a ship, with a definite "East European" atmosphere, to see the Northern lights --- Wonderful !
HOWEVER -- the first indication, of what was to come (I coild write a book about the voyage !!") was that my Debit card was "Refused"

It turned out that some idiot in-numerate had entered my date of birth as 03/04/2028.
I have heard of "Second Youth" --- but this is ridiculous !! :lol:
Don't worry: JR suggested on this forum that my father died as a result of being gassed in WW1. I suppose it would just be feasible but not likely
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Off Topic, but ---
Those "Gassed" in WW1, often died, years later, from the results and a lifetime of trouble.
A horrid practice, avoided by both sides in WW2 (On the Battlefronts !)
But NOT elsewhere by the Nazis.
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Or others in more recent times in the Arab world
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I thought I would just check again - I had it in my mind to hope that Spoonbill is enjoying the rudest of health...

Looks like my Day of Death is slipping further away. 16.8.2039!Oh no! :shock:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

My mind has been a little more concentrated on this subject in the last 6 weeks !

Before I went to CH in 1940, I was "Asthmatic" --- our doctor remarked "It will either kill or cure him "

Despite 6 years of attempts by CH, I survived
I have been shot at (And Missed) by people I did not train.
(Although receiving a .22 bullet in the back, from somebody I DID train ! (Another story !)
I have been active in "Bomb Disposal"
I have jumped out of perfectly servicable Aircraft (No Paras trust Pilots !)
I played 1st class Rugby and Water Polo (The more dangerous !)
I had 33 fights as a boxer
I have "Thumped" an attempted Mugger.

NOW I am combating the little "B***er in my Bladder, and although I am assured by the Surgeon that "All is well" -----(???)
It does concentate the mind on the fact that there are certain things which are out of our control.

At 83, I have nothing of which to complain ----- but I WOULD like to see my 4 G.Grandchildren grow a bit more !!!
I am, of course, married for 36 years to a Saint (She would have to be) The Blessed Anne. and there is enough money in the Bank.
(Pull yourself together ! -- Yes Sister !!)
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:My mind has been a little more concentrated on this subject in the last 6 weeks !

NOW I am combating the little "B***er in my Bladder, and although I am assured by the Surgeon that "All is well" -----(???)
It does concentate the mind on the fact that there are certain things which are out of our control.
But it would take one hell of a little B***er to get the better of Neill the Notorious, I suspect. :lol:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

After General Anaesthetic, for 2 hours, I'm afraid I was, again, too "Woozy" in many ways for days ! :?
TBA suggested to one of my Daughters- in- Law, this might be a good time to go on a "Retail Therapy Trip" to Bournemouth, whilst I was at home, since I was completely unaware of what was going on, and falling asleep watching Television !! :oops:

I repeat "Yes Sister-- No Sister " :wine: