Windows Scam warning

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Windows Scam warning

Post by kerrensimmonds »

In case you did not know. I know three people who failed to reply to this last night (though one was close to being persuaded....), and through one of them, I learn of a sucker who did fall into the trap. It cost him £150 to get out of it....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/ne ... 637033.stm
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Windows Scam warning

Post by J.R. »

I suppose there must be many gullible people about.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

J.R. wrote:I suppose there must be many gullible people about.
Having spent years in Local Politics, I agree ! :oops:

I was warned aboit the Widows Scam, some time ago.
It is good advice -- "If you are not sure -- don't act ! "
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I usually hang up, but one boring, wet Saturday a few weeks ago I decided to play along with the condescending, young Indian guy who rang to tell me that my computer had been downloading damaging information without my knowledge - even at times when the computer would not have been switched on, although I never got him to confirm that.

After a great deal of piffle from both sides, he told me to hold down the Ctrl key 'That, Madam, is the key at the bottom, left hand side of your keyboard'. I began to reply that I know full well where to find the Ctrl key you condescending pra!t, when I decided to insist that I did not wish to use THAT Ctrl key, but that I wanted to use the one to the right of the keyboard.

He hung up on me.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

TBA and I, have an "Answerepnone", which leaves a friendly message, saying we are un-available, but please leave a message, and your telephone number and we will get back to you.
This is pretty-well standard, but some of TBA's elderly (Look who's talking !) friends, have difficulty, and won't use the message facility, on the assumption that it is not "Private" --- !!!
When we hear the message, followed by an immediate "Click" it is, nearly always a caller who "Has witheld their number" Ho Ho Ho --- Bombay ??
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote: When we hear the message, followed by an immediate "Click" it is, nearly always a caller who "Has witheld their number" Ho Ho Ho --- Bombay ??
There are handsets which show the number of the caller and I know of users who refuse to answer such calls.
IF YOU or TBA do pick up a call from one of those erks you could reply that you refuse to answer anyone whose phone number is withheld but if he/she changes his/her phone set up then he/she might be answered. (Don't say that the answer would be a belch or a very loud high-pitched whistle). They do learn eventually
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

My mother forwarded me an e=mail on this very issue recently ....

"Unsolicited calls? The three little words are "Hold on please ...". Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time consuming ... for them! Then when you eventually hear the "beep beep beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset. Marketing companies will soon wipe your number off their list!

"How to deal with those phone calls when there's no one on the other end ... This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. The technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home. What you can do after answering, if you notice there's no one on the other end, is to immediately start hitting your hash button on your phone six or seven times as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system."

Well - it's worth a try!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

Do you not have a “Do not Call” list in the UK. This is one of the best pieces of legislation here: since it went into effect, unwanted calls virtually stopped (if they don’t, you can get $$$ from the company).
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

You can sign up for 'telephone preferences', which should stop unsolicited marketing calls. But the scheme does not cover calls which come from overseas call centres....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:You can sign up for 'telephone preferences', which should stop unsolicited marketing calls. But the scheme does not cover calls which come from overseas call centres....
In addition despite signing up to TPS companies are specifically allowed to call you in "surveys" and by mentioning that the call becomes legal. In addition, when I have called TPS with all the details of such calls I have been told that if they get enough complaints then they will call the company to "advise" them - very different to taking real action to stop them pestering us. Although partially effective I still get nuisance calls from companies which claim that either they have never heard of the law or that it is a survey to see if I can be sold solar heating, electricity etc. or that they have a license to call or they don't understand enough English etc.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Have you noticed that several Companies are now advertising that they have "UK call centres" ----

So the "Bombay" -- sorry "Mumbai" system has been noticed as a detriment to sales ! :D :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Have you noticed that several Companies are now advertising that they have "UK call centres" ----

So the "Bombay" -- sorry "Mumbai" system has been noticed as a detriment to sales ! :D :D

.... probably more a case of not being able to comprehend the caller !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Have you noticed that several Companies are now advertising that they have "UK call centres" ----

.... probably more a case of not being able to comprehend the caller !
It's not only Mumbai, Durban, Sri Lanka etc; I've just had occasion to have a go at your old mob because their call centre peeps don't understand what I'm talking about because they have never (apparently) been anywhere close
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Yesterday at lunch-time, TBA, on your instrucions, hit the "Hash Key" about 6-8 times.
This is now standard practice for both of us ! :lol:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

cupcakemom wrote:My mother forwarded me an e=mail on this very issue recently ....

"Unsolicited calls? The three little words are "Hold on please ...". Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time consuming ... for them! Then when you eventually hear the "beep beep beep" tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset. Marketing companies will soon wipe your number off their list!

"How to deal with those phone calls when there's no one on the other end ... This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. The technique is used to determine the best time of day for a "real" sales person to call back and get someone at home. What you can do after answering, if you notice there's no one on the other end, is to immediately start hitting your hash button on your phone six or seven times as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system."

Well - it's worth a try!