water, games, and CH!

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Vonny wrote:I remember swimming for 2 terms and gym I think for the other 2 terms. I also remember the old mangle outside the pool for wringing out your costumes :lol:
So you were allowed costumes then? We weren't (see separate posting). I think you had it easy at Hertford!
Last edited by DavebytheSea on Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Hello sailor!

Thawed out yet??

By the way, don't forget to get in touch if you fancy a pint or two when you're up this way.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

DavebytheSea wrote:
Vonny wrote:I remember swimming for 2 terms and gym I think for the other 2 terms. I also remember the old mangle outside the pool for wringing out your costumes :lol:
So you were allowed costumes then? We weren't (see separate posting). I think you had it easy at Hertford!
:shock: :shock:

Costumes had to be navy blue or black if I remember correctly :lol: Certainly no revealing numbers were allowed! :shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Vonny wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:
:shock: :shock:

Costumes had to be navy blue or black if I remember correctly :lol: Certainly no revealing numbers were allowed! :shock:
It's all true! (According to the more senior, err, members).

Welcome to Winky World!

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Richard Ruck wrote: Welcome to Winky World!
Misread that the first time :shock: :lol:
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Vonny wrote:
Oh dear! :lol: :lol:

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Richard Ruck wrote:
Vonny wrote:
Oh dear! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

My wife went to a boarding school, they too swam sans cossies, difference was the school was mixed.
Interestingly when I read an education book by the head of the school, he had taught for a short period of time at CH. Kenneth Barnes by name,does anyone remember him?
She found him an inspirational teacher. Perhaps he got the idea for swim wear from CH.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

The name doesn't ring a bell with me.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

no bells ringing here - except in my ears...

costumes black or dark navy blue - with name in - that's something I hated about the school that my two went to as day pupils (you should some of you recognise it's horrendous name) Wycliffe - one of the headmasters for CH came from being Head at Wycliffe - just after the amalgamation ( wow that was a long word)... They had long black name tags with their names in bright yellow in capitals and htey had to be on the OUTSIDE of all SPORTS wear - I mean after Christopher J Comber Lamb B 11 it was a synch to sew on - I still have some of my CH ones - in blue on white - nothing about house or anything.. I have used name tapes to secure things together - amazing how strong they are -

If someone remembers the Head from here - let me know!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

AKAP wrote:My wife went to a boarding school, they too swam sans cossies, difference was the school was mixed.
Interestingly when I read an education book by the head of the school, he had taught for a short period of time at CH. Kenneth Barnes by name,does anyone remember him?
She found him an inspirational teacher. Perhaps he got the idea for swim wear from CH.
Had a look back at Kenneth Barnes's book, he was only at Ch for one term in 1925 so no one will remember him. He does say some interesting things about the place.
"I slept in a junior housemaster's room and it had a hatch-way that opened on a dormitory in which beds seemed to stretch endlessly into the distance like something seen between two mirrors." and
"The science department was the birthplace of the heuristic method of science teaching: the reserch method, find-out-for-youself."
He also makes reference to the capped school fees but concludes with
"It was a standing joke in the Common Room to refer to the number of poverty-stricken parents who could afford Rolls-Royces, but in fairness I should say that I did not observe these vehicles."
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

AKAP wrote: "The science department was the birthplace of the heuristic method of science teaching: the reserch method, find-out-for-youself."
Having been through that with Mr Crosland and two chemistry teachers (the second, Mr Potts, was straight out of Gordonstoun and Uni in my 2nd A level year) I found it excellent.
Not only did you have to work out how to do the experiment but then (especially in physics) you had to make the apparatus and then carrry out the experiment. After all that you remembered it. 2 or more experiments per week** and you son got through the syllabus. 100% passes in Physics, I heard there was one Chemistry failure - not me.

** there was a list you had to get through
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!