Initial Assessment

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Re: Initial Assessment

Post by ailurophile »

Fantastic news Lippizaner! Congratulations to your DS, I'm so pleased for you both.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Thank you Ailurophile! And everyone else, and CH - again. I am getting boring. At present online struggling to book a ferry crossing at the cheapest price possible, plus find accommodation for two nights. Not easy as we don't have broadband (zone blanche which means no-one can be bothered with us).
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

there`s a new Travelodge in Horsham town centre if that`s any use
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Thanks Mrs C, we've gone for the one at Five Oaks, it looks more rural, and we are a bit rural. Town would be a bit noisy for us. Oh, if only we'd known last week their rooms were only £15 a night! Oh well, I didn't book because I thought it would bring bad luck on us if I did! £8 extra is not that much more. Thanks for the advice.
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

Pass on my congrats to your DS, passing each stage is a great achievement and I hope the two day assessment goes well. My wife and I are local and if you fancy a chat with parents of a current 2nd former, who are happy to discuss the pro's and cons we've experienced, then pm us closer to the time and we'll try and sort something out.

Well done and good luck.

P
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Thanks Pibble, I'll bear that in mind!
Antinous1
3rd Former

Post by Antinous1 »

Yay! Wonderful news Lippizaner!!

Antinous
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hi Lippianzer, I'm another local parent ( dd is in the 2nd form) who wishes to pass on my congratulations :-) . I'm also very happy to meet up whilst you are over - possibly with Pibble too (would be lovely to meet mr and mrs Pibble) ?

I found keeping sane and occupied during the residential really hard - I had no idea what to do with myself - other than just worry !
Last edited by Atticus on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ineedacoffee
3rd Former

Post by Ineedacoffee »

Oh Lippizaner... I have been following your story. It reads like a good book. I await your next chapter and have been quietly sending good vibes across the channel. Your experience is now a good story for both you and your ds regardless of the outcome. Thank you for sharing so candidly. Bon chance. Bon courage et 4 bisous! Xxxx
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

The good thing about the residential is that the school are thoroughly checking and testing that the child is right for the school and vice versa. I hate entrance exams that only take an hour or two because it is so easy for the child to "blow it" if they are nervous, not feeling well etc etc. The residential really has an in depth look at the childs potential and whether they have the right character to board and thrive at CH.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

Yes and like you said, it's not just for the school to see whether the child is right but it's also for the child to see whether this is what they really want to do.This is what we told our ds, and I believe it helped to take away the nerves. I do remember vividly driving away after I dropped him off, thinking how incredible that was, to leave him somewhere where he knew absolutely know one. And I just handed him over to people I didn't know!! Again, a really good test for our children to see whether it is for them. As it was, he loved it and we spent a few very anxious weeks waiting for the post. ( and when the good news came I sobbed at the thought of 'losing' him haha :lol: )
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

My Son came back from the residential saying that he had a great time and really enjoyed it. He had made friends with other boys and had even been playing knock down ginger knocking on the bedroom doors with a couple of new friends in the evening. Part of me thought oh no I hope he hasn't been too naughty (he isn't naughty just mischevious) but on the other hand I felt if anyone had been watching (and they probably were) they would have thought - well he fits in ok! I'm not advocating playing knock down ginger on the residential but I think it is important that the children are "themselves" and dont try and pretend to be somethging they are not. Well it worked for us!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

It is really touching and warms my heart enormously to discover that so many people on here are pleased for me and my DS. He is really looking forward to January now, which might even overshadow Christmas! Thank you so much for all your kind words and for having followed my story on here! Perhaps I should make it into a book as someone said it sounded like one!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

HowardH, if you are still browsing this forum, when do the presentation lists go out? Just in case. Thanks.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

I'm still here, but I do not know.