New Entrants'Day

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: New Entrants'Day

Post by lippizaner »

So, I can banish the picture I have of kids rummaging through the old socks for fun at break .......
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Atticus wrote:Pinkhebe, your matron is very lovely, and incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Dd loves spending her pocket money in there (even more than in tuck shop, sorry Mrs C!).
:(

wait until the sun comes out - she`ll be in our lovely new tuckshop to buy ice creams to eat in our garden .

For anyone coming to OBD, NED or Open Days, tuckshop is now in the Grecians Club next to the main entry point to school - and we have lots of space to sit, inside and out.
Teas, coffee, ices - and delicious homemade cake on sale every Saturday too!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Ah Mrs C, I can see I'll have to replenish her pocket money. She's not a great sweets eater, but ice cream and homemade cake - thats a completely different story ! :tonqe:
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

My DD was most put out when the tuck shop moved further away from her house but I'm sure the home made cake will make up for it!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

I see on the website that the Open Day is the day before NED. You will be busy in the tuck shop! It sounds lovely, but I bet it'll be seething on NED! Looking forward to trying the home made cake - am on a diet at the moment so it will give me something to look forward to!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:
Atticus wrote:Pinkhebe, your matron is very lovely, and incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Dd loves spending her pocket money in there (even more than in tuck shop, sorry Mrs C!).
:(

wait until the sun comes out - she`ll be in our lovely new tuckshop to buy ice creams to eat in our garden .

For anyone coming to OBD, NED or Open Days, tuckshop is now in the Grecians Club next to the main entry point to school - and we have lots of space to sit, inside and out.
Teas, coffee, ices - and delicious homemade cake on sale every Saturday too!

Where is the new tuck-shop, Janet, and what's happened to the old tuck-shop building ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Mrs C. wrote: Teas, coffee, ices - and delicious homemade cake on sale every Saturday too!

But more importantly, are the housey frogs still on sale (they were the only thing that consoled ds2 when ds1 started CH)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I think they`re still in a box somewhere ...

John, we`re in Grecians Club, just beyond current security hut on the left as you go through the barrier
Old tuckshop is becoming security and reception (don`t ask!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:I think they`re still in a box somewhere ...

John, we`re in Grecians Club, just beyond current security hut on the left as you go through the barrier
Old tuckshop is becoming security and reception (don`t ask!)
Thanks, and I won't bother to ask.

Maybe, 'security' want somewhere a little more salubrious when it's cold and wet !

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Well, I am quite taken aback. No, not by the location of the Thrift shop or the Tuck shop or whatever. By the TIME it takes for the orders we make on NED for sports kit to actually arrive! I can't access the lists on the website, so contacted Kukri, but meanwhile managed to get an order form from a forum friend, and a list of kit from school itself via the phone. However, Kukri passed on my email to school, who sent me an email today, telling me to look on the website, but that what I order on NED will arrive AT SCHOOL a week before term starts. Now, this is NO use to me at all. Why would any of us want it to arrive so much on the last minute not at our homes?
I want to sew my child's name tapes in. I want the pleasure of doing it. I know some of you hate it, but I love it, and I want to see his neat pile of games kit go into his case, ready for sport on the first day. I don't want to pack his bags here in France with no games kit in it, because it might (and I hear that it is very doubtful it will arrive on time) be waiting for him at school!
I can't come over to the UK a week early complete with sewing kit!
Why can't we just go to a shop and buy it? Why doesn't a shop have it all ready for us to try on? I gather this used to be the case, firstly in John Lewis in London (opportunity for a day out too? could be done during our visit for NED) and latterly at Broadbridges.
If the school are using Kukri, why have they chosen a firm that takes such a long time to process orders? What holds them up? I assume we pay for it all on NED so they have got our money tucked away, and we won't have the goods for FOUR months or more.
I really think this is not very satisfactory, and Kukri should be made to be more efficient.
The only alternative I can see is to equip him from the Thrift Shop so that he has one of everything, plus order new if I can afford it, and then I can be sure he will have the kit.
Anyone able to enlighten me as to why this is the case?
LostInEducation
2nd Former

Post by LostInEducation »

Ok I am definitely lost now :?
Are we supposed to get everything now, in time for NED?

What is the purpose of NED then?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

LostInEducation wrote:Ok I am definitely lost now :?

No, as long as you have everything by the start of term, you'll be fine :D (or even the first half term!)
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

My previous attempt to respond doesn't seem to have appeared. :cry: It was brilliant! OK maybe not but the gist of it was that you shouldn't worry, everything starts to fall in to place at the NED and the matron and house parent will be able to point you in the right direction with regard to any kit questions you might have.

You don't need anything before school starts, between you me and my RSI I would start buying as soon as you know what you need just because the labels are painful, it took me an hour to do one sock, label and ribbon inclusive! My other tip would be to get the order for the labels in quick, they take a while to be made and sent out as well.

There was a problem with delivery of the Kukri PE kit last year, some arrived prior to DD going to school and the rest was sent directly to the school just before half term, matron kindly managed the labelling for us. Yes this was annoying, but the school were aware of the problem and were supportive I understand that the Headmaster banged some heads together etc. Our house parent even suggested our DD come with her primary school PE kit just to keep her going until the rest arrived.

I used to know Mr Broadbridge (the chain that used to be the supplier) personally and the horror stories he would tell me about summer holidays, school uniforms, parents and suppliers pretty much assured me that no matter how well oiled your machine it can still go very wrong when you are over loaded. I imagine 850 kids is a pretty big ask for most if not all suppliers. I also don't believe they have been supplying the school that long so there are going to be teething problems and I suspect that the proposed delivery to school plan is just one of many ways of assuring last year doesn't happen again.

I'm not trying to be flippant about the labelling, the packing of bags etc, this is something of a right of passage for you DS, and certainly a milestone for you and to ensure every little thing is in place and correct feels absolutely the most important thing in the world and of course it has its place. But, and this is a big but well for em anyway, if I could do it all over again and have all the labels and bedding, toiletaries, clothes both civvy and uniform delivered to the school I would and all that time cross checking and checking again lists, then ticking said lists and of course sewing labels I would spend with my DD because once they are gone, they're gone.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

pinkhebe wrote:
LostInEducation wrote:Ok I am definitely lost now :?

No, as long as you have everything by the start of term, you'll be fine :D (or even the first half term!)

Absolutely, no need to worry. We were able to get all stuff from Kukri on NED or from thrift shop, and rest from Sports shops. No pupil would ever get into trouble if they do not have a specific item. Everyone at CH is very undersatnding and helpful. It will all work out fine. Least of your worries in my opinion!
LostInEducation
2nd Former

Post by LostInEducation »

Thank you Pinkhebe and Pibble and MW224.
Really helped
Last edited by LostInEducation on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.