Can you hear the bells?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: Can you hear the bells?

Post by Jo »

:clap:
Jo Sidebottom likes this
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

If you'd ever hung around in Church of England circles you'd think being gay was almost a requirement. There are loads of gay vicars. I've even knew one who had his "friend" (a Greek bodybuilder no less) living in the vicarage with him. I'm not trying to denigrate or deny your experiences, Alan - I'm sure they are all true and they sound horrific. Just saying that my experience is that the Church of England has lots of gay vicars, most of the parishioners are fully aware and don't mind in the slightest.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:If you'd ever hung around in Church of England circles you'd think being gay was almost a requirement. There are loads of gay vicars. I've even knew one who had his "friend" (a Greek bodybuilder no less) living in the vicarage with him. I'm not trying to denigrate or deny your experiences, Alan - I'm sure they are all true and they sound horrific. Just saying that my experience is that the Church of England has lots of gay vicars, most of the parishioners are fully aware and don't mind in the slightest.

.... and that's without even starting on the Catholic Church !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

J.R. wrote:
marty wrote:If you'd ever hung around in Church of England circles you'd think being gay was almost a requirement. There are loads of gay vicars. I've even knew one who had his "friend" (a Greek bodybuilder no less) living in the vicarage with him. I'm not trying to denigrate or deny your experiences, Alan - I'm sure they are all true and they sound horrific. Just saying that my experience is that the Church of England has lots of gay vicars, most of the parishioners are fully aware and don't mind in the slightest.

.... and that's without even starting on the Catholic Church !

I hope you're not confusing homosexuality with paedophilia, JR? Gays have to put up with quite enough hostility already, without that.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

How come this thread has distorted so, given that it starts with Josh sharing with us the joyous news of his engagement to Leah. Neither of them are gay or paedophiles....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

kerrensimmonds wrote:How come this thread has distorted so, given that it starts with Josh sharing with us the joyous news of his engagement to Leah. Neither of them are gay or paedophiles....
is Pedant's revolt thread, I know - another distortion. Slapped wrist accepted, Kerren; but I darned well wasn't going to let what JR wrote pass without comment. Actually, this website has become a bit of a pain recently, for this subscriber anyway (excluding the lovely parents' thread, always a pleasure). Ta-rar-a-bit, as they say round here - I'm off to somewhere friendlier.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

:)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'll consider my wrist 'slapped' !
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Alan, the problem is that youtube (and internet chat rooms in general) are swamped with depressingly high numbers of trolls and keyboard warriors, most of whom have nothing better to do than spew forth whatever crappola springs from their tiny little minds at 3am. You really mustn't base your experience of Christians (or indeed anyone else) on the oxygen thieves prowling youtube. It doesn't matter what the subject of the video is - it could be Susan Boyle, someone's favourite cheese or a game of cricket - you can almost guarantee that there'll be some donut who'll write some old tripe to try and get a rise.

Perhaps this story could give you a bit of cheer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17796511
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Alan P5age wrote:Yes, I saw this article on Yahoo and the comments there were the ones I was referring to. It is good news that reality is being faced on the issue. in the US though its a different story. I'll start a thread about that.
It's ALWAYS a different story in the US!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

marty wrote:Alan, the problem is that youtube (and internet chat rooms in general) are swamped with depressingly high numbers of trolls and keyboard warriors, most of whom have nothing better to do than spew forth whatever crappola springs from their tiny little minds at 3am. You really mustn't base your experience of Christians (or indeed anyone else) on the oxygen thieves prowling youtube. It doesn't matter what the subject of the video is - it could be Susan Boyle, someone's favourite cheese or a game of cricket - you can almost guarantee that there'll be some donut who'll write some old tripe to try and get a rise.

Well said, Marty !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Although I have some reservations about gay-marriage, I have no problems with civil contracts, and before people start pointing the finger, I have many gay friends, (and lesbian).

Yesterday afternoon, Jan and I spent an extremenly pleasant afternoon in our Dorking local. It was a quiet Monday, and apart from the lady behind the bar, Jan and I were the only 'straight' people in the pub !

Yes - lunctimes and early afternoons, this particular pub is a meeting place for gay (mainly middle-aged and older), men and the standard of conversation is both witty, humorous and intelligent. Far more so than in the modern youngsters hang-outs which tend to be for seeing how quickly you can get p1ssed and the buying illegal substances !!

'Here endeth the lesson' !
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

May I respectfully point out that this thread was set up by Josh to announce his engagement? Since it has clearly fulfilled that function, could it perhaps now be locked, since others seem to be determined to sidetrack it into discussing the issue of gay marriage, which is clearly not relevant to Josh's situation! I appreciate that Alan is particularly distressed about this issue and have no desire to make light of his feelings BUT two other threads have been set up specifically to deal with those issues, and Alan himself has apologised to Josh for raising the issue here. It is grossly unfair to Josh that people are continuing to discuss gay marriage on 'his' thread. I am particularly annoyed that one of the people keeping the discussion going here is in fact a moderator! Please let it rest or take it elsewhere, where it belongs. (I am also annoyed with myself for being the idiot that revealed that Josh is studying at a theological college. Josh, I am so truly sorry. I should not have done that, and I feel a degree of responsibility therefore for what followed, but I hope you will agree that no rational person could have foreseen the situation which my careless posting was to trigger!) So congratulations Josh and Leah and may your marriage when it occurs bring you every happiness. And if you do go into 'the ministry' I am sure you will draw some useful experience from what has happened here!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Duly Locked, as requested above.