Old Blues Day, 2012

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Fidésien
2nd Former

Old Blues Day, 2012

Post by Fidésien »

Salut les gars (et les filles)

I am tiptoeing rather cautiously onto this forum, indeed any forum, for the first time. It feels a bit like gate-crashing a south-coast, midweek afternoon bridge club. Or possibly entering a small country church during a Sunday morning service. Thus risking disturbing a small group of people who have known each other for a long time. And may resent a newcomer.

This is my question. Since we (my wife and I) are committed to being, very unusually, in Sussex next weekend (home is Lyon in the Rhône Alpes), and possibly as a sign of encroaching senility, I have signed up to go to Old Blues Day on April 24th. For the first time in my life (since leaving in the mid-60s). Is there anything I need to know ? Along the lines of ‘Don’t mention the war’. All hints, warnings, and relevant information welcome. Many thanks.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Old Blues Day, 2012

Post by Mid A 15 »

Fidésien wrote:Salut les gars (et les filles)

I am tiptoeing rather cautiously onto this forum, indeed any forum, for the first time. It feels a bit like gate-crashing a south-coast, midweek afternoon bridge club. Or possibly entering a small country church during a Sunday morning service. Thus risking disturbing a small group of people who have known each other for a long time. And may resent a newcomer.

This is my question. Since we (my wife and I) are committed to being, very unusually, in Sussex next weekend (home is Lyon in the Rhône Alpes), and possibly as a sign of encroaching senility, I have signed up to go to Old Blues Day on April 24th. For the first time in my life (since leaving in the mid-60s). Is there anything I need to know ? Along the lines of ‘Don’t mention the war’. All hints, warnings, and relevant information welcome. Many thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

I think you mean April 28th not 24th.

I won't be there myself but I would mention, following my last visit about 6 years ago, that the boarding houses have changed beyond all recognition internally.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I live in Valencia, also left in the mid 60's and will be there. Doubt whether you will have much trouble finding your way around, nor recognising most of the sights. I understand it is going to be fairly well attended as all meals etc are sold out.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Fidésien wrote:Salut les gars (et les filles)

I'm trying to imagine myself playing bridge or, worse, going to church :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

I hope now you've broken the ice you will continue to participate in the forum. I'm going to Old Blues Day too and hope to see you there!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Fidésien
2nd Former

Post by Fidésien »

Many thanks for putting me right about the date ! We shall be coming direct from the Dover ferry,
but would hope to arrive in time for chapel service, lunch parade (if there is one), and whatever.
And, incidentally, … I can think of hundreds of things worse than going to church.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

For those who are going

Old Blues Day Programme
Saturday 28th April 2012
The following departments will be open: Science (2-3pm) and Astronomy Club in the Quad PM

Please note: times & venues may have to change on the day - any changes will be advertised on the Notice Boards in Big School

10:30 onwards REGISTRATION / INFORMATION Big School
10.30 - 3.00 The CH Museum will be holding a sale of books about CH, old postcards of the school and a range of new items in the Cloisters adjacent to Court Room
10.30 –11:20 Morning Coffee and meet the CHOBA Board in Big School
Welcome from Head Master at 10:50
11.00 – 4.00 Museum Open House to see Special New Exhibition, with regular guided tours
11.15 - 12.00 Art Department open
11.00 - 12.00 Design and Technology Department open
11:30 -12.00 Old Blue Choir Rehearsal
12.00 - 12:30 Chapel Service
12.30 - 2.30 Cash Bar Open and over lunch - 5 &10 Years On Drinks Reception in Big School
12.45 Band Parade
12.55 Old Blues Photograph in the Quad
1.00—2:30 Lunch in Big School including Old Blue Special Recognition Award
2.00 -3.00 Tour of Boarding Houses— Ticket only—
Barnes A / Lamb B—meet at Lamb main door at 13:50
1.00 -3.45 Tours of “The Tube” - ticket only
13.00 Tour - meet at Peele Boarding House at 12.55
13.45 Tour - meet at Leigh Hunt Boarding House at 13.40
14.30 Tour - meet at Peele Boarding House at 14.25
15.15 Tour - meet at Leigh Hunt Boarding House at 15.10
Peele and Leigh Hunt Boarding Houses (Front Doors)
2.00 Cricket - CH v Worth 2nd XI, 15B, 14B, 13A, 13B on Big Side
2.15 - 5.00 Tuck Shop – open for sales of ice cream and tuck
4.15 Tea served by Grecians in Dining Hall
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

It's alright for those who got in. I didn't! The barrier did not rise (though it twitched....) to allow me to go through to the disabled parking bays and after 15 minutes (when I would have been too late for lunch anyway) I gave up and drove home - in anger. My OBD money has been refunded and I have received effusive apologies. Watch this space! There is room for Security, and there is room for reason.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

So sorry to hear this, Kerren.

I'm sure the School will have taken your experiences on board !

Please keep us all informed.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks JR. I have put OBD behind me and am pleased to report that :-

a) I have had a fulsome apology from the Head Master, a refund of my OBD expenditure, and an assurance that nothing like this will ever happen again

b) I went up for Speech Day today and it was totally different. All the gates and barriers were open, but each manned by at least two high-viz jacketed security people. When I drove up to the barrier which would lead me to the disabled parking between Lamb and the Court Room, I was waved through with a smiling face once the security people had recognised my pre-registered car registration number.

c) I was directed to a good seat in Chapel, with Deputy Grecians all around me, with my guest in front. She is also disabled and is in a wheelchair.

d) My guest and I were looked after royally. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff - and I even attracted the attention of the Lord Mayor of London, and one of the Sheriffs, who sought me ought for a brief conversation.

e) I am advised that my experience on OBD (echo'd, as it happens, by another OB with a Blue Badge) has really shaken up the new security systems and there is a real commitment for things to change. I was even sought out today by the Head of Estates, who offered his personal regrets and apology for Old Blues Day and his assurance that lessons have definitely been learned.

All of this seem somewhat surreal since when I was a pupil at CH I was most definitely not disabled - and I find it surprising given my current circumstances that there is currently no evidence of any pupil in the school being physically disabled. I wonder about that? If someone should apply, and get in, how would the school cope?
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Many thanks for that, Kerren.

Glad to see that someone actually listened, but then again, I've always advocated that shouting from the roof-tops works far better than grinning and bearing it !
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Kerren, there was a boy at school with Maria who had cystic fibrosis, Bill Mitchell.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

How did he cope, Frances?
Kerren Simmonds
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I'm very glad lessons were learned, Kerren. I'm sure you would rather it hadn't happened in the first place, but hopefully the situation has been redeemed at least in part by the prompt and comprehensive reaction.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hi everyone.

As this thread has become more orientated to CH STUFF, I have moved it !

I hope no-one minds.

If so, feel free to pm me !

John.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

kerrensimmonds wrote:How did he cope, Frances?
Bill Mitchell was in Peele B when CH was still a boys boarding school. He was on UF when I was in Grecians year. Actually he was very mobile and active as best he could duing my time there. Sadly I heard that he died soon after I had left CH and this may have been 1985 or 1986.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984