3rd form German trip

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

3rd form German trip

Post by pinkhebe »

Sounds fabulous, I'm slightly miffed with the 4 days notice until payment is required. Son has an out of date passport as well. If I'd had adequate notice to renew it he'd have loved to have gone.

My question is, will he be the only one not going? Surely he can't be the only child without a passport, and with parents who'd struggle to find the money at very short notice?
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: 3rd form German trip

Post by Volupturaptor »

It's awful isn't it. My daughter can't go either, for the same reasons. I can't even tell her in person now, as she's spending the last couple of days of half term elsewhere. She was so excited about it, I'd told her "We'll see once I have the details" but now I have them she's already gone... :(
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I have emailed the language teacher, just to make sure we can't forward on the passport details, but I suspect you need them to make the easyjet booking. We never go abroad, hence the lapsed passport
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Ah, I was considering emailing too. Any chance you could post what the response is please?
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Yes. I think maybe I shall get Son's photo taken tomorrow and apply for a passport, in case of future trips
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

It seems like it's ok to forward the passport details on :D
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Ah... I'm not going to be able to get pictures done until the summer holidays now though. I think I'd better email too.
Thanks. :)
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Rest assured - if all your valiant efforts at sorting passports fail - your children won't be the only 3rd formers at school - my DD has flatly refused to go! Don't ask me why! She's adamant she doesn't want to go "even if I am the ONLY one left at school." With a couple of months off paying the fees I could have found the money for it too! Wonder if I'll get a call on Monday with a change of heart!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

For those of us who don't have children in the 3rd form (but are nosey!), what is this fabulous trip?
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

It's a day trip to Cologne to visit a traditional Christmas Market in late November.They will enjoy a traditional German breakfast, and will also visit a Cathedral and a chocolate factory.... My DS is very excited about it. Sounds like a great trip. Am rather envious!
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

How do German lessons fit in? Is it instead of French, or as well as?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

MW224 wrote:It's a day trip to Cologne to visit a traditional Christmas Market in late November.They will enjoy a traditional German breakfast, and will also visit a Cathedral and a chocolate factory.... My DS is very excited about it. Sounds like a great trip. Am rather envious!

Probably just not ANY cathedral, but the beautiful cathedral that was about the only thing left after we bombed Cologne in WWII.

Eldest daughter did this trip with her school many years ago, and climbed the spire. She absolutely fell in love with Germany and its people !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MW224
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by MW224 »

J.R. wrote:Probably just not ANY cathedral
Yes you re right, should have said 'the cathedral'. It looks beautiful indeed and hopefully they can spend a fair amount of time there. It's amazing how much one can learn from just one day abroad,; history, culture, people, food, architecture, language, traditions etc etc love it and am not surprised this is such a popular school trip.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I hope Michael Scuffil sees this thread - he met us in Cologne when we were there for a Christmas Market trip. The cathedral is very close to the railway station and one of the many Christmas Markets.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I know Cologne station and cathedral quite well. When I was spending my year abroad as part of my degree I had to spend the night in Cologne more than once, in order to get the morning train back to the boat . I have memories of sitting in the Cathedral until I got thrown out, then sitting in a bar at the station being chatted up by drunken squaddies, and ending up sitting on a freezing platform until the train arrived at the ridiculous time of 6 a.m.

It is a beatiful place though (the city, not the station!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.