Contributions

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Contributions

Post by Fjgrogan »

CHOBA members are not 'chosen'; I think it just encompasses all Old Blues. I guess it officially has no power to influence the running of the Foundation or the school itself, but I am sure it must make some difference if we all express our opinions?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Atticus wrote:
Well, we have just had a 11% increase. That on a smaller income than last year. I honestly have no idea why the increase should be that large!
And in my experience, asking for an explanation won't get you very far either! I try every year...

Having said that, I would encourage you to write to Mrs Young and request some clarification of the figures. The school does seem to take parents (and our potential to be squeezed ever harder!) very much for granted; maybe if enough of us speak up and ask questions the 'powers that be' might at least begin to recognise that their decisions do have an impact on us!
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

CHOBA members are not 'chosen'; I think it just encompasses all Old Blues. I guess it officially has no power to influence the running of the Foundation or the school itself, but I am sure it must make some difference if we all express our opinions?
Exactly the principle I was getting at in my last post Frances. Sadly, current parents do not have any official representative body such as CHOBA through which to express our opinions - in fact, I rather get the impression we are not expected to have any!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Fjgrogan wrote:CHOBA members are not 'chosen'; I think it just encompasses all Old Blues. I guess it officially has no power to influence the running of the Foundation or the school itself, but I am sure it must make some difference if we all express our opinions?
There is a CHOBA committee so I suppose the question posed earlier should be rephrased as has the CHOBA committee discussed such matters or does it consider them out of its remit (which would be understandable)?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

CHOBA release a news letter by e-mail each month to registered OB's. I would assume parents of pupils would be entitled as well.

If there are vacancies on the Committee, they are usually posted on there.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

18% increase here, and no increase in salary either
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Argh! The waiting is horrible...
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

Well, the waiting is over at last. It's not good news, but at least I now know.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

When someone says they have an 18% increase on what they paid last year, is that up from say 18% to 36% of the fees, OR is it you were paying £5000 (which is about 18% of the fees) before and now you are paying 18% of the £5000 more, which is a lower increase than the first scenario? (£900 up as opposed to doubling up to £10,000)
Just to be clear, as it may happen to me next year.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

mine was an percentage increase of what I paid last year.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Ah,
I was worried it was an extra percentage. Thanks.
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

We went from 9% to 16% but are being reassessed as we speak. Keeping our fingers crossed!
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Wow,
that is quite a big leap up - an extra 7% virtually doubles your previous payment I imagine. Oh dear, good luck on the reassessment.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

SAS wrote:We went from 9% to 16% but are being reassessed as we speak. Keeping our fingers crossed!

I'd keep more than just my fingers crossed, if I woz you !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Not being funny, but why should getting an accurate assessment be a matter of keeping anything crossed? Isn't this something we should all be entitled to expect in return for the full and honest disclosure of financial details that we submit to the school each year. It is simply not good enough that the apparently random parental contribution figure we are sent each year has no context, and that there is no longer any meaningful frame of reference against which we can check it.

I wish you luck with your reassessment SAS - but if significant errors are being made, one has to wonder how many other families might also be affected but don't have the information or confidence to challenge this.