Olympics trip

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Olympics trip

Post by pinkhebe »

Is anyones son or daughter going on the olympics trip? I seem to have lost the letter detailing the drop off and pick up times. I've not been able to get hold of the organiser yet (she's probably enjoying a well earned holiday). I will phone the office if I get no joy here, but I'm away from home at the moment.
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Re: Olympics trip

Post by Fairy »

Hi, yes my dd is. Drop off at 9.15 on Saturday 11th and pick up 5.15 on 12th :-)
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Ooops 9.30 not 9.15 on Saturday :oops:
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

That's great, thanks. I thought it was 9.30, but my memory cannot be relied on. :D I shall now stop the epic hunt through the recycling!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

You are welcome, glad to have helped. I know how difficult it is to keep on top of everything at once! :?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Bit late for me, but I DID see the olympic torch pass through leafy Dorking last Friday.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

My family have experienced the 'once in a lifetime' torch relay twice this week and are off at crack of dawn tomorrow for the final day as it goes downriver from Hampton Court to Tower Bridge. One of the perks of their father/grandfather being a Sea Cadet officer is that they will have access to 'exclusive' river frontage without having to battle the crowds as they did at Chatham and then at Kingston on Thames. I resisted the urge to join in all the seasonal merriment - with two daughters, a son-in-law and three grandchildren under seven staying in the house I have just been too tired to join in!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, I gave Dorking a very wide berth yesterday for the mens road race, but watched it on television.

As I sit in my living-room, watching the women ride out of London towards Dorking and Box Hill, I have to report that it is absolutely p1ssing down here, so their two laps of our beautiful hill will be very very interesting !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote:Well, I gave Dorking a very wide berth yesterday for the mens road race, but watched it on television.

As I sit in my living-room, watching the women ride out of London towards Dorking and Box Hill, I have to report that it is absolutely p1ssing down here, so their two laps of our beautiful hill will be very very interesting !

Dorking High Street was packed for the girls when they came through.

It's like a monsoon outside my living room as they approach the line with a Brit in the first three.

GO GIRL !!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

MARVELLOUS - NOT !

The weather is now so bad, satellite TV coverage has all but ceased !!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

SILVER !!!!

Well done Lizzie Armitage !

Yet again, our Ladies do better than our men !

(Sorry - that's footy related !)
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

J.R. wrote:Yet again, our Ladies do better than our men !
Right enough, but the men did provide us with a brilliant day out on Box Hill yesterday - nine circuits, in good weather, and looking strong and confident each time around. Shame about the final result, but as an Olympic event the whole thing was pretty much perfect. We were within inches of the action, with no safety barriers. Quite scary, to tell you the truth. Organisation efficient, polite and friendly. The names of sponsors totally absent, and neither Macdonalds nor Coke to be seen anywhere. Even two granddaughters, age 6 and 1, enjoyed themselves and entertained us for hour on end. And the tickets were affordable.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

We were on Boxhill as well, great day, really enjoyed it. Great shame about Mark Cavendish they worked so hard for the win but it was not to be. It needed the whole peloton to chase down the breakaway, 4 men cannot do that alone!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Olympics opening ceremony

Post by sejintenej »

Very slightly off topic but IMHO very good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsEG0Bh7VjQ

17 minutes of hidden camera video taken by one of the workers in the Olympics opening ceremony, industrial revolution part. He/she recommends 720 HD quality
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Glad you two 'out-of towners' enjoyed your trip to our BEAUTIFUL land-mark.

Living just to the south of Dorking Town Centre, we have been all but land-locked for the two days, hence my neigbours and I made sure all that was required at home was in by Friday, and enjoy both races on TV.

It was interesting to see from some of the helicopter shots, what might be termed, cryptic messages scrawled across the road. One or two having great significance to us locals !