FCO advice

Looking for a job? Want a work experience placement?
Find jobs advertised by Old Blues.
Post a "JOB WANTED" advert.
Advertise your jobs to other Old Blues.
Please delete your ads once expired - all post will be removed after 60 days....

Moderator: Moderators

lizzieflute
2nd Former

FCO advice

Post by lizzieflute »

Dear all,

I left CH two years ago and am now going into my second year at Durham, reading Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations. Post-university, I'm going to aim for the Foreign Office (perhaps a long shot!) and was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if there's any work experience there that they know of? The website has applications for economic students to do a year out, but makes no mention of anything else.

Many thanks,

Lizzie
rjudd
2nd Former

Re: FCO advice

Post by rjudd »

The Foreign Office runs a scheme called the civil service fast stream which is useful for a future career aspect but for just work experience i don't think they offer much unless you know someone who works there. However it might be useful to try and contact your local MP for some work experience there which can provide useful links or look at NGO's like Amnesty etc. Hope this helps
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

This is an incredibly long shot but
http://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy12238/

Unless I am very mistaken, Colin Bright was in Barnes B with me 1959 - 66
If it is he, he may be able to suggest something.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
pierre
3rd Former

Post by pierre »

I retired five years ago from UK Trade and Investment and I seem to recall that we occasionally hosted work experience students there. It may be worth contacting their HR department:
Enquiries: UKTI Email: enquiries@ukti.gsi.gov.uk Website: http://www.ukti.gov.uk/ Tel: +44 207 215 8000

UKTI is the joint department run by the FCO and the Department for Business Innovation & Skills.
It has a lead role within government for developing trade overseas and inward investment in the UK.
PrepA39/BA11/THA26