fuel story

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

fuel story

Post by michael scuffil »

My daughter's boyfriend filled her diesel car up with petrol and they drove from Exeter to Bristol and back without noticing more than a slight judder. Is this a record? (Car went on strike shortly after, but a mechanic friend thinks she (yes, she) can fix it.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: fuel story

Post by J.R. »

Very lucky indeed, and I hate to think what it's done to the engine !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

How long before he is ex-boyfriend? I suppose it may depend on the size of the mechanic's bill
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote:How long before he is ex-boyfriend? I suppose it may depend on the size of the mechanic's bill

So the mechanic IS a bird !!!!

:lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The car is now up and running again. In fact I've driven in it, and it purrs beautifully. I think the mechanic charged 30 quid to drain it and change the filter. Which makes me think there are some scare stories around.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

She was very lucky. Petrol lacks the lubricity of diesel and will cause wear on the fuel pump amongst other things. Quite apart from writing off the fuel pump there is a danger of particles getting into the injectors. Hopefully the fuel filter will have caught most of them but I suspect that she will need a new fuel pump, at the very least, in the relatively near future. If you inadvertently do put the wrong fuel in your tank then the advice is always to get it drained out and flushed through before turning the ignition on. There are a number of companies that will come to you to do this without charging the earth. Provided no attempt has been made to start the engine it shouldn't affect any warranty you may have. (Oh and no, it hasn't happened to me but it is something to be aware of).