The Manual School

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: The Manual School

Post by michael scuffil »

Ingledew incidentally was also in the CCF, and ran the Signals section.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Misterbee
3rd Former

Post by Misterbee »

Mr Ingledew caught me selling five fags to friend outside the Manual School on what turned out to be my last day at CH
Mr Bee
Peele A 1960 - 1967
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Mr Stratton sadly died of cancer - awesome teacher in my last two years at that school.

Mr Williams, Mr Robinson, Mr Snook, Mr Whitehouse and Mr (small northern bloke) were all resident when I was there. Loved that building and spent my last two years practically living in there doing projects.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Toby are you thinking of Mr Branfield? Think he taught woodwork on our third form then left after a year. He was northern and I don't remember him being particularly tall. He had a really knackered old Triumph Herald which was always falling to bits...
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Branfield doesn't sound right but the car does.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

michael scuffil wrote:The manual master I remember best was a Mr Wyncoll, not because he taught me manual, but because he was officer i/c the Civil Defence Section in the CCF, where I was the senior NCO. He was an easy-going sort of guy, but he didn't really seem to fit in with the intellectual side of school life, and I think he may actually have been glad that staff of the manual school didn't count as 'staff', and didn't have to mix with the nobs. They weren't members of the Common Room, for example. (Another manifestation was that they didn't attend the very occasional meetings of the whole teaching staff either. In the Lent Term one of these meetings was always timed for 12.15 on Shrove Tuesday, so that 'real' masters weren't confronted with the moral problem of appearing to be spoilsports at the very rowdy Pancake Race. As this was held on Lamb Asphalt, the manual staff all appeared (like royalty) on the balcony of the Manual School to watch.)
Back to Wyncoll: I have a notion he was Australian. Does anyone remember?
Yes, I did Civil Defence under Wyncoll and yes he did have a high-pitched voice. At the end of the course he asked if we were considering joining a Civil Defence unit when we left and looked disappointed when there was little enthusiasm. I think we all thought that neither the Russians nor the Americans would be stupid enough to drop the bomb, and that anyway, if they did, it would be game over pretty quickly for everyone, CH civil defence training or not.
Requested Removal 18
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Requested Removal 18 »

Fertii wrote:Branfield doesn't sound right but the car does.
Was there a guy called Wignall or am I mixing him up with an English teacher? Wasn't taught by him so can't remember...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Yes, I did Civil Defence under Wyncoll and yes he did have a high-pitched voice. At the end of the course he asked if we were considering joining a Civil Defence unit when we left and looked disappointed when there was little enthusiasm. I think we all thought that neither the Russians nor the Americans would be stupid enough to drop the bomb, and that anyway, if they did, it would be game over pretty quickly for everyone, CH civil defence training or not.
The knowledge of radiation results might not have been much use but the first aid, lifesaving and rescue has been useful on many occasions.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!