Films at CH Horsham

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Films at CH Horsham

Post by Angela Pratt »

At Hertford I can remember watching The Dambusters that we were once freely and significantly donated by Barnes Wallis.
William
3rd Former

Post by William »

So when did the filmshows start at CH?

In 'The Blue' of July 1923 there is an account on p 116 of the Senior Grecian’s Speech Day Oration. It includes the words, "The School has acquired a Cinematograph, used for OTC training films and also comic films, which failed to rival them in humour.”
PhilipOsedumme
2nd Former

Post by PhilipOsedumme »

I remember watching the early 'Bond' films at CH.The original Cubby Broccoli films were the best.Sean Connery was great in From Russia with Love and You only live Twice but I liked Roger Moore
because he was more sophisticated.Live and let Die with the great Yaphet Koto as Mr Big/Dr Kananga and The Man With The Golden Gun,For Your Eyes Only then there's Thunderball,Gold Finger,Diamonds are Forever,Moonraker,A View To a Kill,Octopssy. :biggun: :gun: Barnes A,Thornton A 74 - 79
Chapeau Brun
2nd Former

Post by Chapeau Brun »

Early seventies in big school it was Great Expectations, something else in black and white, then, shock horror, Zulu.
After that we got the Theatre and it was never quite the same. I became a projectionist. Can still recall the nightmare of trying to spool the entirety of 'Spartacus', a five-reeler, onto the 16mm projector which had a capacity of 4 reels. It didn't go well. Also recall an astonishingly obscure version of Elektra performed in the original Greek. No idea whose idea that was - possibly DNP? As a projectionist I also had the dubious honour of occasionally operating the 8mm projector in the Biology labs, which included at least one sex-ed film about venereal disease; yes, a boy fainted, and a Reggie Watters special about Japanese Noh Plays. I think that was the one when the lightbulb blew. It is possible several boys fainted during this one.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

In the middle 1950s I remember seeing John Ford's "The Searchers" in one of the periodic shows in Big School. I remember being scared witless as the little girl takes refuge in the graveyard as the Indians attack the homestead - and then a big shadow falls over her and she looks up to see an Indian brave in full headdress looming over her. It's one of the great Westerns, perhaps the best, and I didn't realise at the time but there was a racial message tucked away in there. John Wayne's catchphrase "that'll be the day" was apparently the inspiration for Buddy Holly's hit single.