Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

PhilipOsedumme
2nd Former

Re: Expelled

Post by PhilipOsedumme »

Hi, I'm new to the forum,so not got the hang of this medium yet.Regarding detentions I think I held the record then probably for answering back to the teachers although I liked learning.It was thirty-four years since I was at CH So my memory might fail me but I don't think it was for not following the rules.I didn't have a great home life but one thing there was boundaries,rules a plenty! I do recall having an argument with my French Teacher (who also taught us Latin) about doing my homework and I refused so maybe that was one.Mr Moobs,I didn't realise I was so memorable if we knew each other around that time do let me know how as I've forgotten alot of people since I lived far away in London.I've been looking through the 1977-78 CH BLUEBOOK and started to remember a few names. :-D Barnes A, Thornton A 74 - 79
Adrian
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Adrian »

You were 3 years ahead of me Philip, but I certainly remember your name so you must have had a certain notoriety.

Unfortunately, like you, my memory for names back then is very poor. Even the names of friends escapes me. It's not an age thing, it's always been the same for me.
Maine A; Peele A 75-82
PhilipOsedumme
2nd Former

Post by PhilipOsedumme »

Hi Adrian,thanks for the reply.I looked up your name in The Blue Book 1977 - 78 and you came to CH in '75, I'm only a few months older than you so how come I was 3 years ahead of you?You must have stayed to finish A levels etc,I left at 16 after O'levels unwisely due to rebelling from the pressure of studying morning,noon and night at home. :( Barnes A,Thornton A 74 - 79
Adrian
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Adrian »

Yes, I forgot about leaving at 16. I just looked at your leaving date. Doh.

Did I say I was bad at remembering names? When I do remember them I forgot what year they were in as well. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that we were in some of the same classes? Did they mix years? Art?
Maine A; Peele A 75-82
PhilipOsedumme
2nd Former

Post by PhilipOsedumme »

Yes Adrian, we might have been in the same classes.Sadly my memory is as bad as yours because I can't remember as I've been through some quite traumatic times.I was looking through some old Birthday cards and found some from Piers Gielgud Col. B,a fellow Gemini.I remember whenever we met he always made a lovely pot of Earl Grey Tea.I was friends with Habib Annous and Viv Ajai-Ajagbe both from Peele. B.I remember Andrew? Myers at my House Thornton A.He was quite stocky with a square jaw and was always flexing his pecks and lats but was a good bloke.I bought a bicycle off him with Wide Cowhandles and my feet could hardly reach the pedals.I was quite small back then but well built due to weights,Football,Rugby,squash,Athletics,Judo and Steeplechase despite having Asthma.Other names spring to mind. Adam Catchpole Th. B I think he was a Fly-half Unless that was Neil P.Adam Th. B. :D
Ba. A,Th. A 74 - 79
Oliver
3rd Former

Post by Oliver »

Here’s a bit more about expulsion, which comes from a letter written by C Byers Lamb B, 1918-22. He describes one event in 1918, the last year of Headmaster Rev Dr AW Upcott’s regime. “Public flogging of boys, was then a regular occurrence, happening about once a year. However on one memorable occasion in 1918 he gave a morning sermon on personal purity. Then, after lunch, Dr Upcott, aided by two school sergeants (retired Army NCOs, employed by the school), caned six boys publicly, who were then immediately expelled”.

Dr Upcott was very harsh by the standards of the 21st century, but he was apparently less severe than his predecessor Rev R Lee, for as one of his obituaries put it, “Upcott was not a master of Draconian discipline as Lee had been.” (from The Blue of July 1922, p244).

A Rae, of Barnes B, 1915-23, has written, “Dr Upcott’s nickname was ‘The Butch’, short for the Butcher, and associated with his use of the birch. (His successor as headmaster, Dr WH Fyfe, a humanitarian with very different views on life and who never personally administered corporal punishment although he never forbade it, received a package of birches from Dr Upcott and immediately ordered them to be burned.)”
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

How quickly times change.

Having said that, flogging and birching was in use in English prisons well into the twentieth century.

...... and birching in the Channel Island, (Guernsey), until quite recently.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

PhilipOsedumme wrote:Yes Adrian, we might have been in the same classes.Sadly my memory is as bad as yours because I can't remember as I've been through some quite traumatic times.I was looking through some old Birthday cards and found some from Piers Gielgud Col. B,a fellow Gemini.I remember whenever we met he always made a lovely pot of Earl Grey Tea.I was friends with Habib Annous and Viv Ajai-Ajagbe both from Peele. B.I remember Andrew? Myers at my House Thornton A.He was quite stocky with a square jaw and was always flexing his pecks and lats but was a good bloke.I bought a bicycle off him with Wide Cowhandles and my feet could hardly reach the pedals.I was quite small back then but well built due to weights,Football,Rugby,squash,Athletics,Judo and Steeplechase despite having Asthma.Other names spring to mind. Adam Catchpole Th. B I think he was a Fly-half Unless that was Neil P.Adam Th. B. :D
Ba. A,Th. A 74 - 79
Viv Ajai Agabe was suspended for a week after having "borrowed" a flute from the music school!
If I am not mistaken that taletned actor Jason Felmyng also had a suspension or may have even ben asked to leave for theft in a shop
at Horsham?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

JR: birching was also an accepted punishment ordered by the courts on the Isle of Man at least until recently (if indeed it has even been stopped). Pretty quick and even more effective which is why do-gooders don't like it (saves prison time)

CHAZ; JR might correct me but I don't recall the possibility of anyone being suspended in my day. A good slippering / caning but, for example, one of my Col A contemporaries travelled from Hong Kong and another from Dublin - suspension was not a practical possibility.
I do remember one boy being taken away on medical grounds (JR tells me he came back), another was delayed from coming back due to a fracture (?arm), another had to spend time away due to a family crisis (JR posssibly remembers - it was in the press) as did I but none lived an immense distance from the school and none was in a disciplinary situation.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

There was shoplifting gang of about 8 expelled c.1966.

They were busted by Tom Keeley when they had so much merchandise their study doors wouldn't close.

Some say that was the start of Keeley's obsessive amateur detective activities ... others attribute the inspiration of the Inspector Clouseau movies.

All were expelled to the London suburbs whence they came except one, a nasty son of a policeman from Sarf London who's motto was "Deny everything" - advice that has come in handy on many occasions throughout my life.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

yamaha wrote:There was shoplifting gang of about 8 expelled c.1966.

They were busted by Tom Keeley when they had so much merchandise their study doors wouldn't close.

Some say that was the start of Keeley's obsessive amateur detective activities ... others attribute the inspiration of the Inspector Clouseau movies.

All were expelled to the London suburbs whence they came except one, a nasty son of a policeman from Sarf London who's motto was "Deny everything" - advice that has come in handy on many occasions throughout my life.

The other being..... "NO COMMENT !!"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:JR: birching was also an accepted punishment ordered by the courts on the Isle of Man at least until recently (if indeed it has even been stopped). Pretty quick and even more effective which is why do-gooders don't like it (saves prison time)

CHAZ; JR might correct me but I don't recall the possibility of anyone being suspended in my day. A good slippering / caning but, for example, one of my Col A contemporaries travelled from Hong Kong and another from Dublin - suspension was not a practical possibility.
I do remember one boy being taken away on medical grounds (JR tells me he came back), another was delayed from coming back due to a fracture (?arm), another had to spend time away due to a family crisis (JR posssibly remembers - it was in the press) as did I but none lived an immense distance from the school and none was in a disciplinary situation.

I'm pretty sure that suspension wasn't an option during C.M.E.S's day !
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

As prompted on another thread, I've just re-read this one to which I find that I contributed in 2010.

A boy was expelled in the early fifties for stealing booze from the Common Room. As it happens his father was the incumbent of the church used by my mother, who told me that he had put it about that his son was expelled for climbing trees. A parson bearing false witness!
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Nor sure what was worse then.

Drinking booze under age or stealing it?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Just to recap - I can't remember any expulsions during my time.

I do remember a very pretty female kitchen staff member, (Spanish, if memory serves), disappearing over night when it became common knowledge she had been discovered in a relationship with a Grecian.

I don't think the Grecian received any punishment from CMES. Double Standards, I ask myself ??