Sir John Whitehead CA 43-50

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Sir John Whitehead CA 43-50

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Is the above named the first Old Blue whose memorial service , held yesterday in St. Paul's Cathedral, was attended by a representative of HM the Queen ? I assume that by protocol she would normally be represented for former Ambassadors although whether this applies to all such posts or only for the more important countries I do not know. There have been other OB Ambassadors such as C.T. Brant (LA 39-48) and A.C.Buxton (Mid B 36-43).
Would she have been so represented at Sir Barnes Wallis's does any one know ?
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Re: Sir John Whitehead CA 43-50

Post by Kit Bartlett »

I have just found from Google that the memorial service for Sir Barnes Wallis was attended by HRH the Prince of Wales in St. Paul's Cathedral in 1980. The whole school was there.
Goatherd
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Goatherd »

Slightly off topic, but the whole school went to Westminster Abbey in 1966. I've always remembered that as being to do with Barnes Wallis, but it wasn't!

"IN MEMORY OF KING EDWARD VI BURIED IN THIS CHAPEL THIS STONE WAS PLACED HERE BY CHRIST'S HOSPITAL IN THANKSGIVING FOR THEIR FOUNDER 7 OCTOBER 1966."
Goatherd
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Goatherd wrote:Slightly off topic, but the whole school went to Westminster Abbey in 1966. I've always remembered that as being to do with Barnes Wallis, but it wasn't!

"IN MEMORY OF KING EDWARD VI BURIED IN THIS CHAPEL THIS STONE WAS PLACED HERE BY CHRIST'S HOSPITAL IN THANKSGIVING FOR THEIR FOUNDER 7 OCTOBER 1966."
That makes at least two of us who didn't know the true reason why we all went to London on that occasion. I remember being told that it was in connection with the commemoration of the 900th anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72