Non-Church of England OBs

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Non-Church of England OBs

Post by sejintenej »

Jo wrote:
J.R. wrote: I think it pretty safe to say that during my time in excess 0f 95% of pupils were C of E.
That seems surprisingly high. Were they really all C of E, or just not RC, Jewish, or any other recognised religion? That does not necessarily equate to actually being C of E, which is the point I tried to make in my previous post.
I wonder if this 5:95 split was not affected by a few extraneous factors;
The RC faith has quite a few excellent free schools in the community (2 of my children went to such schools), and
If you /your parents did not ask for special religious treatment then it was assumed by all and sundry that you were C of E - even if you hated the idea.

Given that we did have RCs, Jews etc at the school I cannot imagine that there was an active selection process by the school even in my day. At the age of nine, if you had a presentation and were physically healthy then you were pretty certain to be accepted. At 11 then your religion does not affect scholastic ability.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jo wrote:

That seems surprisingly high. Were they really all C of E, or just not RC, Jewish, or any other recognised religion? That does not necessarily equate to actually being C of E, which is the point I tried to make in my previous post.
Interesting point, Jo.

However, I was one of them, but I must confess that I haven't taken Communion for many many years now.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
courtdoc
2nd Former

Post by courtdoc »

Old Blues who are not Christian ?
I was the first Muslim (Pakistani heritage) to attend CH,
admitted in 1959.
I am now a psychiatrist in San Diego
part of my reason for studying psychiatry was the course on biblical Job, from chaplain Arthur Pullin, which got me interested in depression / unhappiness.
I imagine there are, by now, other Muslim Old Blues ?
Ansar M Haroun
Mid A 1959-66
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jasmin Ansar was in my year and we were in 1's and 6's together.

I always enjoyed talking about Islam with her, looked at her Koran sometimes and was interested to see her pray - she had permission to use the slatted airing room next to Wardrobe Room for the purpose. Facing east for Mecca!

Jasmin left in the LV, having won a scholarship to the much more posh Cheltenham Ladies College.

There were several Roman Catholic girls in 6's too. Catherine Ennis, Jo MacNamara... Non Cof E was no big deal.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ansar Haroun and I are of the same CH era, though regretably, I don't remember him.

I'm sure I've mentioned on here in the past my only recollection of non C of E faith pupils is of a couple of Catholic boys who went into Horsham for church services.

From this, I assume there must have also been boys of the Jewish faith, etc., but I have no recollection of them. Pre my time, of course, Bernard Levin.

ANYWAY -
This all goes to prove that CH is NOT a faith school, as such !
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

A Jewish new boy arrived in Col B in the 50s. He had a trunk with wheels on which was thought wet. His mother asked Matron for an extra blanket for him. The next day he left. Otherwise no recollection of anyone who wasn't CofE or any special arrangements for others. CH was what it said on the tin. The CofE bit was fairly low church anyway, no vestments or any RC-ish frills like that.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I never told my parents that the choir turned east for the Creed! They'd have been horrified.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:I never told my parents that the choir turned east for the Creed! They'd have been horrified.

Did they have to provide their own mats ??

:oops:
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Geoffrey Smith , (Mid B and Mid A 37-44) and Senior Grecian 1943-44 was a Roman Catholic and attended Mass in Horsham.
There were a number of Jewish boys during my era but I do not know what dispensation.if any.they were permitted regarding
attending Chapel services.