Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?

Post by Fjgrogan »

Compare that with the 'gentility' at Hertford, where in the infirmary the Sister would ask each day 'Have you been good today?' - it was a while before I realised what she was actually asking!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Pratt
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Angela Pratt »

Yes I remember that well, especially when I had diarrhoea.....
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Once a week or so our Coleridge Matron used to dish out small phials of cascara.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

postwarblue wrote:Once a week or so our Coleridge Matron used to dish out small phials of cascara.

It could have been worse - It could have mascara !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We were given 'little brown pills' the first three Saturdays every term, at least while I was a junior. I'm not sure what proportion were actually swallowed, rather less than 50% at a guess!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Katharine wrote:We were given 'little brown pills' the first three Saturdays every term, at least while I was a junior. I'm not sure what proportion were actually swallowed, rather less than 50% at a guess!

I assume to ensure a 'smooth passage', Katharine ?? :oops:
Westondonkey
2nd Former

Post by Westondonkey »

Sept 1963. On the first morning in Prep A we did Noseblowing. 'Handkerchiefs out, blowing by numbers I,2,3,4,5,6. Handkerchiefs away. There was a sign in the dormitory which said that Senior boys were excused, and that it was their individual responsibility. We also had to do nose blowing before entering the swimming pool. It was mandatory for the handkerchiefs to be purchased from John Lewis in London,and each one had to have a Cash's name tape sewn on it.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Angela Pratt wrote:Yes I remember that well, especially when I had diarrhoea.....
I heard that some poor kid once blew his nose so hard that diarrhoea came out into his handkerchief.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Re: Noseblowing by numbers - how did it work?w

Post by LongGone »

Spoonbill wrote:
Angela Pratt wrote:Yes I remember that well, especially when I had diarrhoea.....
I heard that some poor kid once blew his nose so hard that diarrhoea came out into his handkerchief.
That's nothing: we once has a new boy who blew his entire skull into the handkerchief!
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
colb28
2nd Former

Post by colb28 »

No, no, no, no! As I recall (LHB, 1965-7), 'nose-blowing by numbers' took place in the morning after breakfast in the day room. The procedure was (with a military intonation): 'Handkerchiefs....out!!!' 'Blow........ noses, ONE! TWO! THREE! etc..' 'Handkerchiefs...away!'

But I also wanted to mention the game of Pirates in the day room, which involved clambering around the furniture without ever touching the ground and was reserved for rainy days...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

colb28 wrote:No, no, no, no! As I recall (LHB, 1965-7), 'nose-blowing by numbers' took place in the morning after breakfast in the day room. The procedure was (with a military intonation): 'Handkerchiefs....out!!!' 'Blow........ noses, ONE! TWO! THREE! etc..' 'Handkerchiefs...away!'

But I also wanted to mention the game of Pirates in the day room, which involved clambering around the furniture without ever touching the ground and was reserved for rainy days...

That's just brougfht back some happy memories. I imagine now, with all the new fangled Health and Safety rules, this game must have fallen by the wayside !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:
colb28 wrote:No, no, no, no! As I recall (LHB, 1965-7), 'nose-blowing by numbers' took place in the morning after breakfast in the day room. The procedure was (with a military intonation): 'Handkerchiefs....out!!!' 'Blow........ noses, ONE! TWO! THREE! etc..' 'Handkerchiefs...away!'

That's just brougfht back some happy memories. I imagine now, with all the new fangled Health and Safety rules, this game must have fallen by the wayside !
The real test of nerves occurred in the changing rooms. There were steel bars horizontal at about 6 feet from the ground. Sit on one and fall backwards without holding on with your hands but hooking on with your knees.
huggybearsdad
2nd Former

Post by huggybearsdad »

J.R mentions ColB having cold baths through the summer months Ha .!!! Barnes B When Mr Carey moved to MaineB in 1946 from Barnes B we inherited the Extraordinary Practice going on through the freezing winters as well with the enlivening use of frozen zinc tooth-mugs that were set outside windows at night and added to the baths in the morning.

Can I enquire of CHOBA if the survey of DOCTORS FRIEND/SCOTT in depth records has received a response from Bristol University /Medical who have just written to advise that they are no longer pursuing this study of the CH Boys from 19 30+ to analyse the benefits of wooden boards, Horsehair bolsters,& mattresses and all sundries of physical change to the environment in which we lived for five to eight years??????.
I am now 80 years of age and have enjoyed a moderately active lifestyle. Shrunk about 2 inches and still have use of all my limbs etc..... Had a CABG to the old ticker. Two Hernias (Ingroinal) and a couple of other bits and bobs. That is the trouble with data processing (IBM 23 years). Keep up the good work.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

huggybearsdad wrote:
Can I enquire of CHOBA if the survey of DOCTORS FRIEND/SCOTT in depth records has received a response from Bristol University /Medical who have just written to advise that they are no longer pursuing this study of the CH Boys from 19 30+ to analyse the benefits of wooden boards, Horsehair bolsters,& mattresses and all sundries of physical change to the environment in which we lived for five to eight years??????.

I am now 80 years of age and have enjoyed a moderately active lifestyle. Shrunk about 2 inches and still have use of all my limbs etc..... Had a CABG to the old ticker. Two Hernias (Ingroinal) and a couple of other bits and bobs. That is the trouble with data processing (IBM 23 years). Keep up the good work.
Not sure where the Bristol University quote came from but the answer is that OBs will have a longer average lifespan than the general male population. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
From that bit of scientific claptrap you can interpret anything you like - for example "longer" could mean seconds or decades. If you remember the big asian flu epidemic, 850 boys crammed into a small space so 825 got it, likewise Rubella,mumps, measles, tonsilitis and all the other itises, delhibelly and all other nasties. Of course those who didn't survive were not part of the survey whilst the rest of us were immune whilst a higher proportion of the general population remained at risk.
I stopped real sports involvement about 5 years ago (amateur and professional) when I did my last black run but previously I was involved almost every week. Ticker OK I hope, with BP and pulse low, the odd fever, fracture, joint potential problem etc so the only LT problem is allergic asthma which is just about under control. I still exercise every day. I will have to wait and see if Bristol was right but I won't know if they were wrong.