Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Politics

Post by Mid A 15 »

http://order-order.com/2014/09/09/dear-mcdeidre/

Childish but tickled me I'm ashamed to say....
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:http://order-order.com/2014/09/09/dear-mcdeidre/

Childish but tickled me I'm ashamed to say....

The Scottish referendum will definitely be highly interesting.

Ex-Scots Pats living in England CAN'T vote, yet any Tom. Dick, Vlad or Ludmilla from Europe CAN vote.

Personally, I don't give a toss which way they go. However, if they vote YES, I reckon their signing their own death sentence !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

If I was a Scot I'd definitely be voting "yes" in the hope of a more egalitarian society based on Scandinavian ideals. But a much better idea would be rounding up all the right-wing politicians, investment bankers, hedge fund managers, private equity sharks and right-wing newspaper editors, putting them in a boat, taking away the oars and giving them a gentle shove into the North Sea. Owen Jones' new book, "The Establishment - And how they got away with it ", is a good investigation into the loose collection of unspoken vested interests that now effectively govern us.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I take it you'd advocate some-one along the lines of Josef Stalin to run this country then, Freaky ???
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I was in Slovakia when they voted to split. After the results, and the new government came in, most of my friends were appalled. They had not really thought out what the ramifications of the split were going to be and, initially, they were not good. Some 20 years on, things seem to be much improved, but it is clear they still lag behind the Czech republic in almost all areas.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

My learned Grand-son, who is doing 2nd year politics in sixth form, reliably tells me that if they vote YES, the French will veto any application for their entry to the EU, which they would have to do as a new 'country'.

Not such a bad thing in my view.

It gets more and more interesting by the minute.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

OK, snotty, Daily Mail reading ex-public school types. What do we think of UKIP's success? Do we glory in the sight of fat, beery, loutish UKIP types barracking the Labour candidate in Manchester as she tried to make her acceptance speech? Do we love the gurning Nigel Farrago in his consciously retro cords, sports jacket and Tattersall check shirt? Do we warm to the viciously right-wing Douglas Khasi with his ideas to make life even more insecure for the workforce? Do we want an entirely privatised NHS? A flat rate of tax? 20% reduction in teachers at CH? (only joking, CH won't be touched - Nige is ex-public school himself after all), 40% upping of the defence budget (presumably to fire nuclear warheads at the unemployed, the poor and single mothers), oh yes, and keeping the "competitive edge" of the City of London. Nige is an ex-commodities broker himself after all, and he can't be seen to be inhibiting the dodgy activities of his nasty little yuppie mates - even if they do bring the economy crashing down again in a couple of years. Let's hear from you. Will JR brand me a goddam, tennis shoe wearing, fellow-travelling pinko faggot? Will Michael Scuffil post from his lofty academic eyrie in Germany? Will Neil be notorious and try to land a right hook on me? Will Avon hover onto his helipad and rubbish my protests? Will Sejintenej post a long load of indecipherable garbage and baffle us all? I charge you never to forget the great benefits you have received at this place and in time to come, according to your means, to access the CH Unofficial Website and come out with a load of snotty, complacent, elitist cobblers that would be an insult to any normal person's intelligence. And may God be with you (whoever he is).
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Rockfreak, I was just passing when I saw your post, & just had to tell you it's brilliant! You've said everything about this sorry lot that I've been feeling for a long time. Thank you! I suspect this Forum is suffering a slow but deserved death, so if I don't see you again, good luck and keep socking it to 'em! :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Will Sejintenej post a long load of indecipherable garbage and baffle us all? I charge you never to forget the great benefits you have received at this place

Just read the Logorrhea {Canadian version especially) and you might be enlightened. Given that I don't use long words here did you really go to CH? ;-)

Offsubject; what fink invented Safari and why con't they put the keys in the right places?

EDIT; reference that last line I see that when I pressed the key for "a" (where it would be on my keyboard) it came out as an "o" and just because I was using my son's keyboard. At last, and probably temporarily my own PC is working :-) (or eureka)
Last edited by sejintenej on Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

... hurt... so many posts, so much reminiscence, and I don't count as snotty, complacent or elitest?

Could do better.

:oops:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I was rather pleased at the Clacton result.

Another bi-election shortly.

Could be interesting........
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

anniexf wrote:Rockfreak, I was just passing when I saw your post, & just had to tell you it's brilliant! You've said everything about this sorry lot that I've been feeling for a long time. Thank you! I suspect this Forum is suffering a slow but deserved death, so if I don't see you again, good luck and keep socking it to 'em! :lol:
Hi Annie. How ya doing? Are things OK?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

By the way Annie, I got involved with 38 Degrees and am now the proud owner of a bright orange 38 Degrees t-shirt from your people in Trafalgar Square on the occasion of the "Darlomums" march to London. 300 miles of a modern day Jarrow march to London to protest against the destruction of our NHS. Inspirational.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Angela Woodford wrote:... hurt... so many posts, so much reminiscence, and I don't count as snotty, complacent or elitest?

Could do better.

:oops:
Don't take things personally Angela. You will have seen enough posts from other people to see that many people do conform to this archetype.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I got onto the Unofficial Website originally in a spirit of enquiry after having seen school marching into dinner on You Tube and feeling quite sentimental. But I was a bit uneasy about the intro on the CH presentation video which says: "This is a very good school and you would be very lucky to go there." I think a foreigner would see through this almost unconscious classism and say: "Surely, in a western European state in the 21st century, all youngsters are entitled to a good education. Luck shouldn't come into it." My other posts on sites like Bullying and Abuse and The Charge - Has it Changed have thrown up some strange responses with people making all sorts of excuses for the system. Someone said that we need to extend this standard of education. Fine, I said, but are we prepared (especially the richer ones) to pay more tax for the purpose. At this point, and ever since, there has been a deafening silence.