Message for J.R.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Message for J.R.

Post by jtaylor »

Message for J.R.

Can you email me directly at admin@chforum.info from you new email address (NOT via the forum). Trying to sort you account out, but emails to you are currently failing!

Thanks,

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Message for J.R.

Post by jtaylor »

If anyone is in direct contact with J.R. I'm yet to make contact by email - they all bounce - so can you ask him to email me directly at admin@chforum.info?

Thanks!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I've contacted him and asked him to email you.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

All seems to be sorted now. Thanks Julian.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Whoo hoo! Good to have you back and technically-enabled again!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I still am having issues with Windows Explorer but this may be due to the fact that we've up-graded to Windows 7 from Vista.

I have PM'd you.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Good to see you back young man!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Oliver
3rd Former

Post by Oliver »

If you are still having problems with Windows Explorer, here’s a solution that works well for me. Download another web browser and retain the two permanently in your computer. I did this (with Google Chrome as the second) and kept the two icons (Windows Explorer and Google Chrome) on both the desktop and on the taskbar, using whichever I preferred (if both were functioning). If only one worked, the other was always available. They apparently don’t interact with each other and for me this redundancy seems to have served well for the last few years. If some computer guru reader of this posting knows of a reason why my suggestion is inadvisable, please post an appropriate message?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Oliver's suggestion is perfectly acceptable, and indeed they don't conflict with each other.

Until very recently I'd stuck with Internet Explorer, not seeing any reason to change. But recently moved over to Google Chrome primarily for website testing purposes (it has some great plug-ins which aid development) and haven't looked back.
It's quicker, cleaner and seems to stay unadulterated more easily than IE.
Google Chrome also works really well across multiple computers, syncing shortcuts etc far more easily.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

But, rereading JR's post it sounds like its Windows Explorer rather than Internet Explorer that's the issue?
Give me a shout if you need any help....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

This is very typical Windows -- giving the same name to two completely different things. Under 3.1. the file management system was given the perfectly coherent name of 'file manager'. It is now called Windows Explorer, just to create confusion with Internet Explorer, which is a common-or-garden browser (as ALJ would say). If the problem is with IE, it's no problem. Just uninstall it and Windows will re-install it clean the next time you boot up. But Windows Explorer is a different kettle of fish: it manages much of the system (as its old name says), and problems there can be hellish.

(You need at least three browsers: some sites are very choosy about which browsers they work comfortably with. But as jtaylor says, Chrome is above all 'cleaner'.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:But, rereading JR's post it sounds like its Windows Explorer rather than Internet Explorer that's the issue?
Give me a shout if you need any help....

I think you are right Julian.

This morning I got the error message 'XAHook.dll missing', and then a black screen. I'm told this is definitely a Windows file. I can however, crash the computer and then re-start in Safe Mode with networking, hence my ability to type this now !

I'm hoping my computer 'Doc' will call this evening, though 'Madam Indoors' wants to lash out on a brand new tower. Don't know where the money is coming from if she gets her way !!