General Election: Old Blue candidates

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: General Election: Old Blue candidates

Post by J.R. »

fra828 wrote:
J.R. wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:Nigel (for this really is a one-man band) like all populists is good at identifying problems and doesn't shy away from them, but he has no realistic solutions. He (uniquely) gives straight answers to straight questions. Just don't think too hard about the implications. If you want to watch amateurs in government, cast an eye to Greece.

I agree in part Michael, but on looking from the other end of the room, I'm sick and tired of the other main parties constantly trying to score points of their opponents, AND spouting a load of promises which are near-on impossible to fulfil.

In my view, I've tried 'The Rest', so now I'm giving a new boy a chance. After all, surely he can't make matters much worse, and as some people say, 'I like the cut of his jib' !
It's space not race- quote from UKIP

Exactly so. My wifes cousin has just visited us fro Canada and was amazed at the amount of people being allowed into Britain.

She said it took her TEN HOURS to fly from one side of Canada to the other. You can fly from Gatwick to Scotland in around an hour, though why anyone would want too with the Ginger Witch in control is beyond me.

Britain is tiny in the scheme of things. Sort of brings things into context, dunnit ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

"She said it took her TEN HOURS to fly from one side of Canada to the other."

That must have included a substantial layover somewhere (~3 hours), but the point is made.

When I first arrived in Canada (via Cunard) one of the standard jokes was:

British banker is transferred from London to Vancouver and is flying with a stop in Gander, Newfoundland. The London office sends a telegram "Smith landing at Gander 7:00 am 22nd. Suggest you meet him." The reply was "Suggest you meet him, closer to you than me!"
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

Perry didn't get in, but continues to serve as a Councillor.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well. it's all over now, bar the shouting !!

'Call me Dave' Cameroon has a clear majority as I type, and has gone to the palace to see Her Maj.

Lib Dems were crucified and Cleggy steps down.

'Big Nige' doesn't get his seat and steps down, though probably only temporarily.

The Ginger Witch now totally controls Scotland after routing mainly labour seats, so you can bet your life, she'll make life difficult for 'Call me Dave' and want another referendum.

Ed 'Milliepede', horrified at the labour result jumps ship as well. I bet his brother can't stop laughing !!

The only good thing to come out of it all, is that now we will get a referendum on Europe, (or we won't, as the case may be. Never trust a politicians promise).

Lets just see how the next five years goes before 'Call me Dave' retires from politics and disappears into the sunset to earn himself a fortune from speeches, biogs and the like.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Sir Oswald Mosley has the unique distinction of being the only person to have had King George V and Adolf Hitler as guests at his first and second weddings.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Sir Oswald Mosley has the unique distinction of being the only person to have had King George V and Adolf Hitler as guests at his first and second weddings.
Certainly an unusual distinction, but its uniqueness must surely be a little difficult to prove?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Ten hours to cross Canada by air...

The curious geometry of great circles does strange things. Like: it takes the same time to fly from Düsseldorf to Miami as it does from Düsseldorf to Vancouver. (The latter, incidentally, is a spectacular flight, crossing Greenland mountains, Baffin Bay icebergs, tundra and the Rockies.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

michael scuffil wrote:.Flying from Düsseldorf to Vancouver. (The latter, incidentally, is a spectacular flight, crossing Greenland mountains, Baffin Bay icebergs, tundra and the Rockies.)
Another really spectacular flight was London to Hong Kong overflying what I guess is Kazakistan. It seemed like we were almost flying along the valleys between snow capped peaks. Coming back was different; indicated speed over the ground above northern India varied between 50 and 80 mph in a 747; what a bore
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

postwarblue wrote:Because he must be seen to be Politically Correct. Pitiful.
Bollocks. It's got nothing to do with being seen as PC. Pitiful that you think so.

I reckon the average age on this dormitory of a site is 60. So it's full (insofar as it can be with ten or so posters) of baby boomers on stable pensions who think there is still something singular about the UK and it can plough its own furrow next door to the EU. Worse still, they cling to the belief that our natural bedfellows are the US.

Truth is, we need to work with the new dynamics of age; increased migration, massive Asian growth, idiot religionists, climate change, and hugely disruptive technology.

Enter UKIP - the party wrapped around the conceit that we are still capable of our own credible GNP, military capability or geopolitical clout as a small island. The motherlode to people who think we can have the 20th century back.

So grow old, demise, buy conservatories, join golf clubs, vote for Farage if you get the chance again - but don't kid yourself that opposing UKIP is about wanting to be seen as PC. It's about loathing the blinkered plebs who would rather we were a second-world country than a great one.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Avon wrote:
Bollocks. It's got nothing to do with being seen as PC. Pitiful that you think so..
PC is the new religion. A few days ago there was the case of the head teacher who said that an autistic child had "special needs". He had the police investigating him for weeks before they decided not to prosecute. Then we had the case of a TV presenter who built a bridge which was not perfectly level. It took some windians to claim the slope is a faggot or something silly.
I think we will all have to start speaking Spanish or something so that the police can start investigating real crime
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Avon wrote:
Bollocks. It's got nothing to do with being seen as PC. Pitiful that you think so.

I reckon the average age on this dormitory of a site is 60. So it's full (insofar as it can be with ten or so posters) of baby boomers on stable pensions who think there is still something singular about the UK and it can plough its own furrow next door to the EU. Worse still, they cling to the belief that our natural bedfellows are the US.

Truth is, we need to work with the new dynamics of age; increased migration, massive Asian growth, idiot religionists, climate change, and hugely disruptive technology.

Enter UKIP - the party wrapped around the conceit that we are still capable of our own credible GNP, military capability or geopolitical clout as a small island. The motherlode to people who think we can have the 20th century back.

So grow old, demise, buy conservatories, join golf clubs, vote for Farage if you get the chance again - but don't kid yourself that opposing UKIP is about wanting to be seen as PC. It's about loathing the blinkered plebs who would rather we were a second-world country than a great one.
Avon - Of course your views are always welcome, though I am rather up-set you seem to think this site is controlled by pensioners well in to their dotage.

I for one, have VERY strong political views, and NO I am NOT racist, but a realist.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Sir Oswald Mosley has the unique distinction of being the only person to have had King George V and Adolf Hitler as guests at his first and second weddings.

And what a wonderful wedding present the Fuhrer gave Sir Oswald and Lady Mosley - a signed photograph of himself, with the monogram AH surmounted by the German eagle!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

J.R. wrote: Avon - Of course your views are always welcome, though I am rather up-set you seem to think this site is controlled by pensioners well in to their dotage.

I for one, have VERY strong political views, and NO I am NOT racist, but a realist.
Seeing as you invite the topic, I'm happy to assure you that I have no cause or place to accuse you of racism. Nor would I. UKIP is however in my view a racist party.

As for this site, I'm likewise happy to point out that I see no control whatsoever.

Hope this helps, etc.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Assuming that there is a permissible market for Nazi memorabilia I wonder how much a signed photograph of Hitler would fetch at auction.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Assuming that there is a permissible market for Nazi memorabilia I wonder how much a signed photograph of Hitler would fetch at auction.

There is, and such a photo would fetch thousands, IF an auction house took on the sale.

Some of his paintings recently sold for shed loads of money, and not for their artistic value, obviously.