Morbid, but...

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Nyort
3rd Former

Morbid, but...

Post by Nyort »

...does anybody know of any pupil deaths that happened during their times at C.H.? Just wondering, as a couple of Chapel plaques have been tickling my brain recently - R.A. Slater is one that has kept me wondering, with him being Band Master and everything.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

There have certainly been a few over the years, Nyort.

During my time we lost Simon Randall and Patrick Pike. Richard Sears-Mullins (mentioned elsewhere on the forum) died a few years before I joined C.H. I think that these three all have memorials in the chapel.

Sadly, there were more in later years, but others will be in a better position to tell you about these.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

nyort wrote:...does anybody know of any pupil deaths that happened during their times at C.H.? Just wondering, as a couple of Chapel plaques have been tickling my brain recently - R.A. Slater is one that has kept me wondering, with him being Band Master and everything.
I can't give you specific examples, but I have read quite a lot of books about the history of C.H. and I would say that there has been a pupil death about once every one or two decades, or so. The causes have varied from drowning (particularly in the Thames pre-1902), through illness to traffic accidents. There has also been the occasional suicide.

My unscientific guess would be that the death rate was no worse than the average for a bunch of about 800 boys in the 10-19 bracket, and possibly slightly better because the boys were fit and their living conditions and diet (whatever they might have thought themselves) at least adequate when compared with their contemporaries.
Sorry not to be more specific,
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I was at school when Richard Sears-Mullins died.
Although I didn't know him his death had an impact on the whole school. (I guess such a death would impact any small community in a similar way.)
Nyort
3rd Former

Post by Nyort »

How did a few of them die? Suicides? Or accidents (broken neck from rugby?)
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Not being awkward with you, whilst I don't have a problem with the generalities of this theme, I wouldn't want to discuss any individual situation on the net.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I recall one male and one female pupil dying during the 80's (both from illnesses). Also, a couple of years after I left (roughly) there was a very tragic death - pretty sure it's someone already mentioned in this thread.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

I know from Dr Scott of one boy who received a compressed fracture in rugby, was transferred to an outside hospital but died of his injury. That must have occurred prior to 1953 and was the only case Dr Scott ever admitted having happened. Even when he he was teaching us in the late 50's he seemed to feel responsible though I know from later learning that there was nothing more he could have done.

The only "serious" injury I know of in my time was an arm broken in a car crash (no CH involvement).

We had two boys that I know of who had to leave for medical reasons - one was bedwetting and the other, (JR would have known him) was in Col B - a boy who was academically brilliant but totally unable to cope with life. The final straw was when his pyjamas couldn't be found until someone took his uniform off him and lo and behold, underneath everything ..... the pyjamas!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

So was your contemporary expelled for wearing pyjamas under his uniform or did this constitute an illness (seems a bit harsh)
If its the latter, most chinese would be put down as mentally ill.
Its very common for them to go down the shops in their pyjamas and slippers. whatever the weather.
and their pyjamas arent the boring stripey ones - they're covered in teddy bears and other fluffy animals. the bright red ones seem very popular this year.
oh sorry - I'm digressing.
On the topic, being of a similar age to RR, our time at school has been covered.
Its strange how death seems to be such a taboo subject.
Maybe because so many people in my family seem to die, I've always had a slightly (black) humourous approach to it.
Now I've written that - I realise that everyone dies at some time.....not just those in my family. I never thought i'd make it to 45......
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:I know from Dr Scott of one boy who received a compressed fracture in rugby, was transferred to an outside hospital but died of his injury. That must have occurred prior to 1953 and was the only case Dr Scott ever admitted having happened. Even when he he was teaching us in the late 50's he seemed to feel responsible though I know from later learning that there was nothing more he could have done.

The only "serious" injury I know of in my time was an arm broken in a car crash (no CH involvement).

We had two boys that I know of who had to leave for medical reasons - one was bedwetting and the other, (JR would have known him) was in Col B - a boy who was academically brilliant but totally unable to cope with life. The final straw was when his pyjamas couldn't be found until someone took his uniform off him and lo and behold, underneath everything ..... the pyjamas!
There's a very small tinkling bell in the back of my head. (No titters, RR !)

Can you PM me sejintenej, with any specific details and a name ? I might be able to check through school photo's. Don't think it fair to 'name-a-name' on the open site !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Richard Ruck wrote:There have certainly been a few over the years, Nyort.

During my time we lost Simon Randall and Patrick Pike. Richard Sears-Mullins (mentioned elsewhere on the forum) died a few years before I joined C.H. I think that these three all have memorials in the chapel.

Sadly, there were more in later years, but others will be in a better position to tell you about these.
Am I right in thinking that Simon was in Barnes A and that he died of a mgiraine?

There was a story going around when I was at CH that there was a ghost called Simon who could be seen crying with his head in his hands in the dormitory in Barnes A?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
srcudlipp
3rd Former

Re: Morbid, but...

Post by srcudlipp »

Nyort wrote:...does anybody know of any pupil deaths that happened during their times at C.H.? Just wondering, as a couple of Chapel plaques have been tickling my brain recently - R.A. Slater is one that has kept me wondering, with him being Band Master and everything.
R A Slater would be Rick Slater. I had the good fortune of being at CH with Rick in the eighties. He was indeed bandmaster, an extreemely talented Trumpet player. He was also an all round top guy, and is still sorely missed by all those who knew him. RIP Rick :cry:
Mid B / A 1984 - 1989
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Morbid, but...

Post by jtaylor »

srcudlipp wrote:
Nyort wrote:...does anybody know of any pupil deaths that happened during their times at C.H.? Just wondering, as a couple of Chapel plaques have been tickling my brain recently - R.A. Slater is one that has kept me wondering, with him being Band Master and everything.
R A Slater would be Rick Slater. I had the good fortune of being at CH with Rick in the eighties. He was indeed bandmaster, an extreemely talented Trumpet player. He was also an all round top guy, and is still sorely missed by all those who knew him. RIP Rick :cry:
Do you mean Band Captain, rather than Master?

I remember Rick a little - he was a couple of years above me at CH.
He featured in the live Rememberance Sunday Service from CH in 1989/90(?) and did a stunning Last Post from the arch above the Avenue, between Chapel and Dining Hall.
I've got a DVD copy of it that I made from a VHS - he truly was a tragic loss, such a talented a likeable chap.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Rory wrote:So was your contemporary expelled for wearing pyjamas under his uniform or did this constitute an illness (seems a bit harsh)
If its the latter, most chinese would be put down as mentally ill.
Its very common for them to go down the shops in their pyjamas and slippers. whatever the weather.
and their pyjamas arent the boring stripey ones - they're covered in teddy bears and other fluffy animals. the bright red ones seem very popular this year.
oh sorry - I'm digressing.
On the topic, being of a similar age to RR, our time at school has been covered.
Its strange how death seems to be such a taboo subject.
Maybe because so many people in my family seem to die, I've always had a slightly (black) humourous approach to it.
Now I've written that - I realise that everyone dies at some time.....not just those in my family. I never thought i'd make it to 45......
Another digression.

I drive my husband to the station in the morning in a red dressing gown with teddy bears. I used to wear my slippers too but had some new ones for Christmas which are not suitable for driving.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

englishangel wrote:
Another digression.

I drive my husband to the station in the morning in a red dressing gown with teddy bears. I used to wear my slippers too but had some new ones for Christmas which are not suitable for driving.
Does he take the dressing gown off before he gets on the train? :lol: