Jack Hards and Wells, Prep B bootroom

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Jack Hards and Wells, Prep B bootroom

Post by michael scuffil »

keibat wrote:Re:
Of course, after I left and after the demise of C.M.E.S., the fashion became the norm for long hair as seen in many later house photos. It would never have happened under Clarence's reign.
I remember when in 1962 – so in the CMES Era – I was either Demetrius or Lysander (-dum and -dee!) in A Midsummer Night's Dream, which we then took on tour in the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Eindhoven and Den Helder), that I grew my hair out in a somewhat long pudding-bowlish-pageboy style, and this was permitted on grounds of theatrical activity. Arriving back home (not at school) from the NL tour, I was told that my grandfather had died, that the funeral had been held back till the next day so I could attend, and was sent by my mother double-quick-smart to the barber's.

It seems to me that in those dizzy almost-beatle days of the early sixties, CMES or no, hair was getting longer even within the Gulag.
And I recall being in conversation with the newly-shorn Keith at the start of the next term, when the chaplain (Pullin) walked by and congratulated Keith on his haircut, whereupon Keith said 'Funeral in the family.' To which Chain replied, 'I suppose I ought not to wish you too many of those.'

As it happens, I don't think CMES was too bothered. The opposition to long (i.e. normal) hair came from Arthur Rider and Kirby. Though if you go to St Cath's pavilion in Cambridge, you will see pics of a very long-haired Arthur.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:
keibat wrote:Re:
Of course, after I left and after the demise of C.M.E.S., the fashion became the norm for long hair as seen in many later house photos. It would never have happened under Clarence's reign.
I remember when in 1962 – so in the CMES Era – I was either Demetrius or Lysander (-dum and -dee!) in A Midsummer Night's Dream, which we then took on tour in the Netherlands (Amsterdam, Eindhoven and Den Helder), that I grew my hair out in a somewhat long pudding-bowlish-pageboy style, and this was permitted on grounds of theatrical activity. Arriving back home (not at school) from the NL tour, I was told that my grandfather had died, that the funeral had been held back till the next day so I could attend, and was sent by my mother double-quick-smart to the barber's.

It seems to me that in those dizzy almost-beatle days of the early sixties, CMES or no, hair was getting longer even within the Gulag.
And I recall being in conversation with the newly-shorn Keith at the start of the next term, when the chaplain (Pullin) walked by and congratulated Keith on his haircut, whereupon Keith said 'Funeral in the family.' To which Chain replied, 'I suppose I ought not to wish you too many of those.'

As it happens, I don't think CMES was too bothered. The opposition to long (i.e. normal) hair came from Arthur Rider and Kirby. Though if you go to St Cath's pavilion in Cambridge, you will see pics of a very long-haired Arthur.

Not so sure about that. Although C.M.E.S. always 'seemed' quiet and aloof, I had the impression and this was confirmed by older boys that the general concensus was that Clarence strictly laid down the ground rules, quietly but expected them to be carried out OR ELSE.

I didn't attend a leavers service having decided during the summer holiday of 63 that as I had already been conditionlly excepted for Surrey Constabulary, I wasn't returning for another year. I did however, return briefly at the beginning of the next term to collect my Bible from C.M.E.S. personally in his study. His parting words were along the lines of....

"Well Rutley - You are certinly your 'own person', and nobody will ever change you !" Which I took to be a compliment. Mind you - He was right. I speak my mind and never have, nor ever will, suffer fools gladly.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Yes - Jack Hards and Squit Wells were Prep A's as well. Please don't forget Edie with her massive rotary floor polisher and a tray of mysterious, waxy goop that she splatted on the floor with a wooden stick.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

yamaha wrote:Yes - Jack Hards and Squit Wells were Prep A's as well. Please don't forget Edie with her massive rotary floor polisher and a tray of mysterious, waxy goop that she splatted on the floor with a wooden stick.

Souynds like something out of "50 Shades of Grey" !!
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote: Sounds like something out of "50 Shades of Grey" !!
Hope you enjoyed the book, JR... :shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
J.R. wrote: Sounds like something out of "50 Shades of Grey" !!
Hope you enjoyed the book, JR... :shock:

Haven't quite finished it yet.

As I said before - A litery masterpiece it is NOT ! I was talking to the bar-maid in mmy local who has read it. She described it as a LOVE story. She must lead a very interesting life !!
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

I didn't attend a leavers service ...

Of all the spin attempts to excuse getting sent down joining the police is certainly the most original.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Hards and Squit officiated every morning in the Prep Hall over the one third of a pint of milk all school children had to drink.

Hards had a wooden leg and Squit was mentally disabled - as was Edie the cleaner.

For some reason, people used to call out "Oink, oink" at Hards. What a bunch of obnoxious little ******** we all were.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

********** !??
ok - how about children born out of wedlock ... as they used to say.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

yamaha wrote:

Of all the spin attempts to excuse getting sent down joining the police is certainly the most original.
Cheeky, cheesey, cheeky
I also didn't attend the leavers' service and got my bible in Seaman's study - what a cold fish he was. I also had a job to go to, a bit more dangerous than JR's
You remember two years ago two boys were killed by polar bears on Spitzbergen? Same organisation, we had to have four boys evacuated by army helicopter at a time when all flying was banned because of bad weather. They had major burns but fortunately all survived.
We had a lot of joint problems - packs on the first day were weighed to a minimum of 100lbs of food and equipment for a 8 hourtrek in mountains and that was four days out of CH.

Seaman's study was the entrance to a Russian Roulette game?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote:
yamaha wrote:

Cheeky, cheesey, cheeky
I also didn't attend the leavers' service and got my bible in Seaman's study - what a cold fish he was. I also had a job to go to, a bit more dangerous than JR's
You remember two years ago two boys were killed by polar bears on Spitzbergen? Same organisation, we had to have four boys evacuated by army helicopter at a time when all flying was banned because of bad weather. They had major burns but fortunately all survived.
We had a lot of joint problems - packs on the first day were weighed to a minimum of 100lbs of food and equipment for a 8 hourtrek in mountains and that was four days out of CH.

... and neither of us was 'Sent Down', as was implied.

Seaman's study was the entrance to a Russian Roulette game?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Of all the spin attempts to excuse getting sent down joining the police is certainly the most original.[/quote]

Cheeky, cheesey, cheeky

Seaman's study was the entrance to a Russian Roulette game?[/quote][/quote]

... and neither of us was 'Sent Down', as was implied.
Westondonkey
2nd Former

Post by Westondonkey »

It was Jack Hards and 'Squit' Wells Jack Hards who would hand out exactly two custard creams from a tin box on top of a chair in the middle of the Prep block hall. Everybody would be going around saying 'oink Jack,had your milk yet?' this was the days before Thatcher the milk snatcher. Jack Hards was known to throw cricket balls full force at people he didn't like,they bounced off ceilings walls etc. The other 'Housey' immortal was 'Noddy' Barrow in the science block,he could not stop shaking,but he was a legend at topping up Acid bottles in the Labs.